A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
440 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Monogrammed Throw Pillow  (Read 1520 times)
Tags for this thread: monogram  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GrumpasaurusRex
« on: November 18, 2011 03:17:52 PM »

A new addition to my growing collection of embroidered pillows! Also, my first major foray into satin stitch. Which you might be able to tell. ^_^

This is a 16x16 inch pillow, white linen, navy, yellow and green floss in two and three strands.

I wasn't sure at first how I wanted to fill this monogram (our last name), so I started out by outlining the R in navy blue with split stitch and the flower bits in yellow. I initially filled the flower petals with long-short stitch but absolutely hated it, so I picked it out and did it in satin stitch. The leaves are fly stitch worked close together and outlined in backstitch. I embraced white space in the leaves for some texture. I ended up filling the R with satin stitch.

The satin stitch is a bit iffy in places because I had not yet seen Mary Corbett's advice on NeedlenThread.com on how to angle your stitches to best fit your curves. Ah well. Still came together pretty neatly. ^_^

And on our couch, with my sampler-style turquoise pillow which finally has velcro added to keep the flap laying nice and flat. ^_^ Hm. The monogram looks off-center in this pic, but I swear it's just the angle of the pillow. ^_^

Thoughts and crit appreciated. Especially when it comes to satin stitch tips. ^_^

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melby
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011 03:22:43 PM »

I know nothing about how to do that, so maybe my opinion doesn't count for much Tongue but I think that looks gorgeous! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011 03:45:29 PM »

Looks awesome! Makes me want to pick up embroidery even more. How long did it take you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011 08:09:11 PM »

satin stitch is a killer!  I'm not very good at it, but I love how it looks, and yours looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rossie
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011 08:20:55 PM »

Beautiful!  Lovely stitching and such a pretty design.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011 01:21:45 AM »

I also hate doing satin stitch but sometimes it is the only thing that works.  Yours is beautiful.  I really like the design and the colours you have used.  I'd love to do a monogram like that  - but I still hate satin stitch Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aprettymess

plenty of creativity... not enough hands

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011 06:33:14 PM »

its beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GrumpasaurusRex
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011 11:59:59 AM »

Thanks, peeps! Also, I totally forgot to say that I got the monogram from NeedleNThread.com--she has quite a few free patterns and some monogram fonts if you're looking for that type of thing.

Looks awesome! Makes me want to pick up embroidery even more. How long did it take you?
Let's see. I can't recall off-hand. The outlining went pretty quickly but this was my first go at sustained satin stitch, so I started slow and got a little faster as I went along. Working on and off (aka not every day Smiley) I'd say this took me about two-three weeks? Maybe a little more, but I'm one of those people who will work madly on something for a couple days, then set it down for a couple days, then pick it up again. Also, NeedleNThread is super helpful when it comes to learning embroidery, imo. I love that site and her video explanations of different stitches are SO helpful.

I also hate doing satin stitch but sometimes it is the only thing that works.  Yours is beautiful.  I really like the design and the colours you have used.  I'd love to do a monogram like that  - but I still hate satin stitch Sad
Navy, yellow and green were our wedding colors and I still find that I'm partial to the combo, even though it's been over a year. ^_^

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011 02:23:00 PM »

Wow! That is absolutely beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog!
My pinterest
Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Transform Hair from Frizzy to Smooth
How to Tease Your Hair
How to Henna Your Hair
How to Have Great Post-Workout Hair
How to Have Great Beach Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...