A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 436
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 50 Projects 2012--Join here and post your lists !  (Read 522960 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3530 on: August 23, 2012 06:28:59 AM »

Love that shrug SilverMoon!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trinalocakary
Arts and Crafts keep me sane

Crafting 'cause I can't help myself

« Reply #3531 on: August 23, 2012 10:47:33 PM »

I have some foam pads (like camper pads) that I want to have as both floor pillows AND sleep mats for guests, my theme in my front room is Bohemian gothic so I would be using rich dark colors for them and stacking them in a corner when guests are not there. I want people to be able to lounge around on the pillows as well as sleep on them if they ever need to.
I am trying to decide if I should wrap the pads in material like a giant pillow case then make another smaller case to hold the rolled up mat (this would give me 2 or 3 floor pillows that would be super thick when rolled and would unroll into a solid pad but from experience I know how they are hard to get in the cases and that sitting on them as they shift can be annoying.
The other option would be to cut each pad into 3 pieces and make each sleeping mat by laying out 3 cushions, each with its own pillow sham (this allows a lot of cool patterns) and they can be more comfortable to sit on but sleeping on them (which wouldnt happen too often) can be harder because they can gap between them. though this does allow a single guest to sleep in a huge pile of pillows
One advantage I see to option #2 is it would allow me to use up some of the velvet and velour from my old dresses I have been planning to use for some project, might end up being this one, which would be easier than a quilt
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog http://artinmybag.wordpress.com/
50 projects for 2013 ... 15/50  (Individual items finished 15) http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=418274.msg4952976#msg4952976
50 projects for 2012 ... 85/50  (Individual items finished 200+)
trinalocakary
Arts and Crafts keep me sane

Crafting 'cause I can't help myself

« Reply #3532 on: August 23, 2012 10:52:47 PM »

Has anyone used a bleach pen to "Paint" on velour?  Results?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog http://artinmybag.wordpress.com/
50 projects for 2013 ... 15/50  (Individual items finished 15) http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=418274.msg4952976#msg4952976
50 projects for 2012 ... 85/50  (Individual items finished 200+)
SilverMoon

Rainbow IS a colour!

Probably erring on the wrong side of crazy

« Reply #3533 on: August 24, 2012 12:08:53 AM »

I have some foam pads (like camper pads) that I want to have as both floor pillows AND sleep mats for guests, my theme in my front room is Bohemian gothic so I would be using rich dark colors for them and stacking them in a corner when guests are not there. I want people to be able to lounge around on the pillows as well as sleep on them if they ever need to.
I am trying to decide if I should wrap the pads in material like a giant pillow case then make another smaller case to hold the rolled up mat (this would give me 2 or 3 floor pillows that would be super thick when rolled and would unroll into a solid pad but from experience I know how they are hard to get in the cases and that sitting on them as they shift can be annoying.
The other option would be to cut each pad into 3 pieces and make each sleeping mat by laying out 3 cushions, each with its own pillow sham (this allows a lot of cool patterns) and they can be more comfortable to sit on but sleeping on them (which wouldnt happen too often) can be harder because they can gap between them. though this does allow a single guest to sleep in a huge pile of pillows
One advantage I see to option #2 is it would allow me to use up some of the velvet and velour from my old dresses I have been planning to use for some project, might end up being this one, which would be easier than a quilt

I've seen sleeping rolls on Pinterest made out of 3-4 pillowcases sewn together in a row. You could fold them into thick pads but they wouldn't slide around so much, and not split apart when you sleep on them.

eta - http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sew-old-pillowcases-together-t-151312
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012 01:21:13 AM by SilverMoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Abbeeroad
Tutorial Contributor

Liberal Tie-Dyed Tree Hugger

« Reply #3534 on: August 24, 2012 06:24:47 AM »

Sorry, trinalocakary, I've never done anything with velour! You'll have to let us know if you have success or not!

I made my first charm bracelet for the Avatar: The Last Airbender Swap. It was super fun!

If you're an avatar fan, there's a more detailed post the explains the beads/charms. But it won't mean anything to you if you don't watch the show!  Tongue

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=413273.0

One more down!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #3535 on: August 24, 2012 06:44:11 AM »

Silvermoon--I love those pillows sewn together! I have seen projects where webbing is used to strap the cushions together to keep them from sliding when bundled up for a chair...

I have used a metallic paintstick on velvet...not sure if it would work on the velour...let me see if I can find the project...

It looks smudgy but it is not--the velvet had nap so if it was turned a certain way, the images looked blurrier...I would try to get the fabric very flat and let the paint sort of soak into the nap...

Abeeroad--it is a nice bracelet even if one does not watch the show!  I love those type of bracelets because you can personalize them to whatever is your interest!  Nice job!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012 07:21:58 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eclectic Dreamer

There's power in an unwritten page.

View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: August 25, 2012 01:18:45 AM »

August isn't over yet, so I'm making my list now!!

1: Recipe book for a swap done 8/28
2: Cutlery holder for a swap done 8/28
3: Spin & ply 2 oz. of wool for a swap Done 8/26
4: Try a new recipe: Stuffed artichokes Eeeek!! Done 8/31... but just realized I forgot to take a pic! It's gone now. This was a major undertaking... my first time cooking an artichoke and my first time eating one. Thank God for Google. LOL.
5: 2 quilt blocks for a quilting guild raffle quilt

Most of these I need done within the next few days, so hopefully I can get it all done!

Edit: I'm going to update on this post until I finish all then I'll post pics and a final update as a new post.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012 08:10:12 PM by Eclectic Dreamer » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/people/ShahanaKhan/favorites
http://pinterest.com/3pomegranates

Writing Magic - NaNoWriMo 2013 Swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=426706.0#axzz2cCRJhOrK

My new motto/mantra: "Eat. Rest. Be well of heart. Keep breathing."
MeganCrafts

I can't stop swapping! I think I have a problem.

View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: August 25, 2012 09:50:02 AM »

I finished the last thing on my mini list, only to put it on and realize that the hem needs to be taken up a few inches.  Hopefully going to work on that this weekend, since classes start on Monday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/megancrafts

Swaps:
Taking a break. Would consider small personal swaps.
redstar13
"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan. " -Tom Landrey

« Reply #3538 on: August 25, 2012 11:27:23 AM »

Has anyone used a bleach pen to "Paint" on velour?  Results?

I've never done so, but it should work, conceptually. A friend of mine used a paste, similar to a bleach on silk velvet and it looked amazing. In combo with a different chem, it makes burnouts (dharma trading co has some tutes for different techniques I believe). So Bleach on velour, as long as it is a bleach able textile material, should be effective
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suereal

Im not crazy about reality, but its still the only place to get a decent meal-Groucho Marks

Only the curious have something to find.

« Reply #3539 on: August 25, 2012 11:55:59 AM »

Definitely try it in a small place if you are doing it on a constructed item.  I am just a tinge worried it will degrade/melt the polyester, if that is what it is made of.  I think it all depends on what the fabric is made of ....I don't know if there are cotton velours.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To all past swap partners....If something I made you fell apart in some way, it would be helpful to me if you PMed me and told me about it.  Sometimes, I try new things, and if they fail, it helps me to know
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 436 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Artist Profile: Carolyn Oberst
Supervillain Origins: The Penguin
Crossing the Line Painting by Carolyn Oberst
Monkey Puzzle Painting by Carolyn Oberst
Paintings on Paper by Carolyn Oberst
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...