A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Butterfly with copic markers, tutorial (picture heavy)  (Read 3507 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Little owl
« on: November 17, 2011 10:19:08 AM »

Edit 12-01-2012: I added another (simple) tutorial for this new butterfly:

Hey there!
I made a new drawing with copic markers today. This time not a moth but a butterfly.

I took pictures in between so I thought it would be fun to make a tutorial out of it. Not sure if anyone is interested in that but I have the pictures, so why not.

Since a butterfly is symetrical (almost symetrical) its helpfull to set up a small base of lines that will help to make the wings etc the same size.
The picture is a bit unclear but if you look closely you see a square, made with pencil. Inside (not visible here) there are more squares. The paper is DCP paper by the way, 190 grams.

Using the guide lines, I draw the butterfly and its wing pattern lightly with graphite pen. Lightly because its not good for copic markers to draw over graphite, the graphite can go into the tip, causing darker shades. So draw as lightly as possible.

After checking if all the lines are right, and removing the lines that are not neccicary (the guide lines), the coloring with the copic markers can start.
I use lots of layers. First starting with very light shades, and then adding darker shades, blending them, adding more.. and so on. Until a nice effect happens.
With copics the magic is in blending and layering. The more layers, the more 'even' the colors become. With 'even' I mean that no marker strokes are visible anymore.
All the colors on this picture are already about three layers thick, so they have become a bit even already, but more layers will be added.

Here you can see that the greens have changed a bit. On some places I have added yellow layers and very light blue layers. Also the butterfly body has been colored. With dark copic colors and a pilot choose pen (white), I also use the pilot choose pen for the white lines on its wings.
The colors are now as I wanted them and I start giving the butterfly some shadows with a soft graphite pen. Graphite pen is a bit silvery, so it lights up a bit, sorry for that.

I played around some more with the colors and such to make the butterfly look a bit more... sharp I guess? And I made the contrast between the colors a bit more obvious with the graphite pen. I dont know the right word for it.
But this is the final result:

I hope it is a bit helpful, and if its not.. oh well Smiley I just wanted to show what I have been working on today. I am curious about what you all think of it. Smiley

Materials I used:
-DCP paper (clair fontaine) 190 grams
-Graphite pen (soft)
-Copic Sketch markers (G07, B14, YG13, Y11, YG95, W3, W5, W9, C3, C7, C9, B32, YG03, BG10 and YG91, 0)
-Pilot Choose pen (white)
-Copic liner black, 0.05
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012 05:24:06 AM by Little owl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My tiny Etsy shop!
http://eerinvink.etsy.com
Brackish Potato
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011 10:44:32 AM »

This is beautiful! I like seeing all the steps. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists.

"Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!" -Dr. Seuss
tynwia
Reduce, reuse, recycle it into something useful.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011 01:34:57 PM »

I love your drawings. Thank you for the tut, if ever I can afford some of those amazing pens I will use it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/tynwia
I have a button addiction.......
Up for personal swaps Smiley
jennden
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011 08:00:00 PM »

I love your work!! I often wounder how you got the looks that you do? I love that you did a tut and hope you do more!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Little owl
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011 11:43:23 PM »

Thanks all of you Smiley

Jenn, its really all about layering. Don't be afraid to experiment with different color layers on top of each other. First the most subtle colors and later on the more vibrant ones. You will notice that you will get these effects pretty quickly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My tiny Etsy shop!
artzyfartzy
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011 08:36:56 AM »

thanks for sharing the steps, how beautiful!!! I love butterflies - you are quite an artist! I hope I can afford some copic markers soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sunnie
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011 04:00:31 AM »

Beautiful ...it's fascinating to see how it builds up to the finished piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chapstickninja
Graphic Destroyer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011 09:53:02 PM »

Those layers are beautiful, it almost looks like watercolor.  Keep up the awesome work and thanks for the tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*------As Above So Below------*
Little owl
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012 05:22:50 AM »

Here another one! Smiley I hope you like it.

The first shading steps:

Extra shading:

More intense colors:

Added highlights and thin lines with a brown copic liner:

Final result:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My tiny Etsy shop!
Radmom
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012 10:42:41 AM »

Okay, I think you honestly just sold me on those markers. I've been really eyeballing them lately, too. I love that it has the appearance you ran it through an editor to "clean them up" a bit. Now, to start throwing out the gift card hints for this year. LOL Love the butterfly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Saint Jude Film
T.C. Boyle on Incorporating Environmentalism in Art
Looking Under the Surface of a Renoir Masterpiece
‘I Am 8-Bit’ Art Show Opening 2008
The Comics Run: Justice League Number 6
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...