A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wizard of Oz art yarn -- a lot of yarn = a lot of pictures  (Read 8848 times)
Tags for this thread: wizard_of_oz , yarn , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

calluna
« on: November 16, 2011 05:45:26 PM »

At last, my Wizard of Oz yarn. It’s gigantic; I don't know what the yardage is, yet, but before I started plying and dividing everything into two separate skeins there was at least 1300y spun up for this project, not including all the yardage of commercial yarns that are also in it.

Details below the many pics. I promise I won't be such a bandwidth hog again for a long time.  Wink

(rainbow i-cord, with the yarn spun from fiber ptarmic wumpus dyed for me.)

(The spiral where the Yellow Brick Road begins is at the bottom)

There are also tufts of orange and red fiber sticking out from the section where they're in the Wizard's chambers, representing the flames

The initial idea struck me in the middle of the night, and the details started flooding in, so it had to be done, whether I wanted to do it or not! The concept was to spin a skein of yarn that followed the course of the Wizard of Oz movie, start to finish, in colors, themes, textures, etc.  So in theory, a very fast yarnie could put the movie on and start working on the starting end of the skein, and whatever is going on in the movie would be reflected in the yarn they’re working with. I can’t think of any film that is so easily identified and understood by its color schemes, well enough for most people to recognize. There’s an almost instinctual association with Dorothy when we see blue and white gingham and red sequins, for instance.

I’m not a big Oz-o-phile, but I studied the movie intensively for about a month (including its cultural impact, which interests me more than the film itself), and with a large, sturdy paper I created a notebook of colors, patterns, scene progressions, and ideas for possible add-ins and yarns/fibers to use.
When I knew what I wanted to do with each section, I drew a map of the layout of the yarn so I could work on different sections as I saw fit and connect them later on in the right order.

Then came the process of gathering the materials from near and far. Dyed batts that Ravelry members were destashing. Angelina fiber for the ruby slippers, but firestar fiber for the Emerald City, to have the right kind of sparkle for each. Pink tulle for Glinda’s skirt. Curly, golden locks for the Cowardly Lion. Raffia to serve as the Scarecrow’s straw. Metallic gray fiber for the Tin Man (the best answer to this need, after an extensive search, was mulberry silk). Lots and lots of carding, thanks to the LYS welcoming me to hang out and drum-card the days away. The carding was my favorite part of everything. I made yellow bricks for the Yellow Brick Road by just chopping apart a new block of yellow Sculpey and poking a hole through the middle of each chunk.  Smiley There are so many tiny details; most don't show up in the photos.

The big challenge was what to do for Munchkinland, since there’s such a hodgepodge of color and activity in those scenes. I was pretty happy with the batts I carded for that section, but had to add a lot of things after my initial spinning.

Some scenes and characters became represented by buttons and beads from my stash; i.e., there are 3 pink buttons for the dancers in The Lullaby League, followed by an orange button, a green button, and a blue button for the Lollipop Guild. The marvelous amydice crocheted some elements for me in the OTT Wizard of Oz swap:

Some early ideas which didn’t end up happening: a brown fun-fur yarn to represent Toto, metallic wire star garland representing Glinda’s crown, and a tiny death proclamation from the Munchkinland coroner. There simply wasn’t enough room to include every idea I had without it becoming extremely cluttered, and I was out of money to invest any more in the project.

Then there were the many, many hours with my drop spindle. Some of the components, in their early stages:
This Pigeonroof Studio fiber became the base for Kansas:
This  fiber from Funky Carolina became the Scarecrow (upper right in the following picture).

I spun several sections during Tour de Fleece, but had trouble deciding on all the little details that my mind hasn’t been up for during the past months (“Should I add this to the yarn? How? Do I ply? N-ply? Auto-wrap? None of the above? Is there too much yardage for this section, as compared to the other sections? How should I join these two yarns? Did I forget something? Is there a nicer finishing method than this?”). There was so much yarn I realized I needed to split it into 2 separate skeins. My closet shelves were full of toilet paper roll bobbins with all these disparate elements of the yarn, for a loooong while.

In this process I became entirely burnt out on spinning, sadly. It’s been a rough year (okay, more than one year, but for varying reasons) and in the past couple months I’ve lost all interest in crafting and creative expression. But I knew I had to finish this handspun; it’s just taking up space and useless otherwise. So on a few “better” days/nights, I finally powered through the rest of it and can say it is done.  I gave up on the joins and ended up just connecting separate yarns with loose overhand knots in some places; whoever ends up with the yarn can undo them and weave in the ends. It would be better if it weren’t finished so hastily, but it’s the best I could bring to it at this point.
I don’t think I’ve ever been so glad to be done with something I’ve made. I swear that I will never again try to be ambitious with my spinning (heh, I say that now, but let's see what I say in another 6 months  Roll Eyes). This kind of thing has to be a labor of love, and if you don’t get a lot of enjoyment out of the process then it is not worthwhile, considering how much time, thought and money go into the creating. Further, when I stopped “feeling it” with this project, but kept working at it anyway, it ceased to be a thing of beauty.  Undecided At least now the "childbirth" of the whole thing is over with, and I finished instead of giving up altogether.  Smiley

One more shot of the whole thing...

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011 06:04:23 PM by calluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
Calabaza
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

It's a long story.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011 06:00:22 PM »

That is absolutely stunning! What an amazing idea and so thoughtfully executed. Wow! I'm not a big Oz fan either and this is just WOW!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Casstasstrophe
*may contain awesome

I have a little geek in me. Do you?

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011 06:04:11 PM »

Story book yarn! What a wonderful idea.

I must say, I've never been so interested in yarn without a finished project in mind as I am when I see this! Do you have any plans for it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sheepBlue

Crafting to keep insanity at bay.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011 06:04:53 PM »

calluna this is absolutely stunning! I'm not a huge fan of the movie, but the sheer detail and amount of care that went into the making of this blows me away and is a masterpiece just in that alone. I know you said you burnt yourself out on this project but I have never before been able to read a story in yarn before this creation and I love it! I hope you find your crafty mojo soon - you have so much creativity and I love seeing your projects!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oyhana
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011 06:12:39 PM »

speechless <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest     

Personal swap friendly!  Especially ATCs!
bunny1kenobi

Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011 06:24:31 PM »

what an amazing concept! very original and creative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveLongandCraft
Formerly williarl13

Boldly going where others have probably been.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011 09:16:52 PM »

This is really cool! Wizard of Oz actually kind of freaks me out but this is amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains" - Jean Jacques Rousseau

"This book doesn't have any answers!" - The Simpsons Movie

http://www.wists.com/LiveLongandCraft
tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011 09:25:19 PM »

Wow! Just absolutely stunning in the visual aspect and mind numbing for the time spent on this! The details you put into this yarn are amazing and I'm sure whatever is made from this skein is going to be awesome, though I think it would be worth it just to lay it out sort of how you have in your pictures and frame it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
sakuracat23

Don't make me get the flying Monkeys!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011 10:42:38 PM »

OMG this rocks! im hitting the button now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeapFeetFirst

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011 11:56:00 PM »

There aren't enough exclamations to truly convey how much this yarn rocks my socks off. I keep coming back to this post, just to stare at it.

I love the idea of spinning something inspired by a movie. As a spinner myself, I know exactly how much work went into planning and creating this beautiful yarn. Calluna, I respect your dedication to this project!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Perfect Body with Photoshop
How to Use The Blender Interface
How to Navigate in Blender
How to Load & Save in Blender
How to UV Map in Blender
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...