A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with mug rug specifics?  (Read 1557 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tivaclare
« on: November 15, 2011 04:59:26 PM »

I know these are pretty straightforward (or seem to be, lol) but looking for some tips anyway.  I'm a very novice machine sewer and have never quilted.  DH works with 3 very nice ladies, but we're on a pretty tight budget this year, so I was thinking I would make them mug rugs and felt tea wallets as gifts. I know they will all get him a little something and they're all just great, so I don't want to skip giving them anything!!

The problem is, I don't have any cute fabric! I'm going to need to buy some and I was wondering how much do you think I'd need? Sadly, my only option is Joanns, so I'm going to have to hit the sales!

I saw little bundles of pre made squares with the quilting cottons, do you think that would work at least for the top pattern-y bit for all 3?  I know I will also need some batting, backing material and that stuff that goes along the edge (sorry, I've had a headache all day, real words are escaping me).

I thought a 5 x 9 mat might be a reasonable size? Paired with a little tea wallet and maybe a mug from the $1 store, I thought it would make a nice little set.  I'm a tea fiend, so finding tea bags is no problem.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2011 05:03:25 PM by tivaclare » THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011 06:48:33 AM »

Smiley That's really sweet of you. Really, really sweet. The precut squares are perfect for what you're describing. If you're really tight for cash, it's come to my attention that wal-mart has precut squares and such, now, too. No, the quality isn't exactly heirloom, but I understand being not just tight for cash, but OH MY GOD tight for cash, and trying to use what little I have for others.

Right now, this is the pattern I'm loving for them. Reverse engineering the image, it looks like you take 6 2" squares, sew them into a 2x3" grid, and then add a 4.5x4.5" square.

I'd actually upsize it, because I'm lazy, to 6 2.5" squares, and make the square 6x6", which gives you about a 6x10" mat. This way you can just cut a few of those 5" squares in half both ways, jumble them up, and add on some inexpensive yardage in a co-ordinating colour (a quarter of a yard would work wonderfully, and cheap 100% cotton is regularly on sale at 2.50 a yard at jo-anns, and you'll likely only need even a quarter (just for the front) or a half a yard.(front and back.)) You'll have lots of the precut squares left over, and you may decide you want to make a lot of them for other people for christmas.

For batting, pick up a single prepackaged "craft" sized pack of warm & natural. It'll be about $8, but again, use a coupon and it'll be much less (in the $5 range), and with this too, you'll have a ton left over if you find yourself addicted. (Unfortunately, there isn't a really reasonable way to buy much less than this. Batting's kind of a bitch that way.)

After you construct the top, pin or otherwise tack the 3 layers (top, batting, back) together, with the "right" sides facing out. Make sure the batting and backing are an inch or so bigger on every side than the top. Quilt however you want - one of the easiest ways /fastest is using a walking foot to make a diamond grid. (draw diagonal lines across the project, using the squares as a guide.) For anyone else who's wanting to practice FMQ, this is a *perfect* project to use for it. Check out Leah Day or Oh Fransson for design ideas. Trim it so it's the finished size you want.

For binding (You're talking to a girl who has, regularly, in all seriousness, asked for "the thing with the thing" and expected people to know what the hell she's talking about), I'd probably make my own out of the leftovers. Cut some of the remaining squares in half one way, so you end up with a 2.5x5" piece. Jumble them up, and sew them into a long strip, backstitching at beginning and end (trust me on this. I speak from experience, and I only backstitch when very necessary.) Make enough to go all the way around the edge + 5" (if you make them 6x8", then you need 6+6+10+10+5, which is about 37". 37"/4.5= about 9 or 10 of the halved charm squares. (Better to have too much than too little, and you can certainly add in scraps of the plain fabric, too, to extend. If you have lots of the plain fabric, you can just do that.) This'll make kind of a scrappy looking binding, but it'll be awesome. Press them in half, wrong sides together, the long way, with the seams open (again, trust me on this.) Then, after you've finished quilting and trimmed the excess batting away, lay the raw edges of the binding against the quilt, and start sewing it on. From here on in, you can use damn near any quilt binding tutorial you want (doing the corners is tricky for me to describe via text only) - google, or there are others elsewhere on the board, too. Heather Bailey's tutorial (linked on her blog) is excellent.

ALL of that being said, I'm a sucker for people who want to do nice things. If you do a google image search for "mug rugs," and link to a few patterns that tickle your fancy, I'll help you figure out how to do them Smiley Feel free to PM me, and make sure to show us the finished products!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tivaclare
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011 01:54:48 PM »

You are an absolute dear!! Once I have some time I will sit and look through the information you've provided.

Been on a massive job hunt and the brain is tired of the computer screen.  Applied for 38 jobs today, 41 for the week and still have a list of 50+ more to get through ASAP.  I think I had more time on my hands before I was unemployed!!  Roll Eyes

I'll take a look at Walmart, but Joanns always has 40-50% off coupons, so I'm sure that will get me what I need rather inexpensively.  Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011 04:23:01 PM »

I hear you on the job thing, I was answering as a break in my own search Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tivaclare
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011 09:28:13 AM »

Found out the hard way that most of Craigslist posts are BS. Ugh.

Checked out Joanns Black Friday sales and they will have batting 50% off, so hooray for that! There are also coupons for % off one item and total purchase, so I'm sure I can get a stack of square for a good price also. Would love if I could accomplish this all for $10! I still plan to get the little felt sheets for the tea wallets, but those are .33 at Walmart. Smiley

Thanks so much for all the pointers, it's really going to help.  The binding advice is great.  My MIL is a quilter and upon examining this super amazing quilt she gave me 2 years ago, I can see she used the same technique you described.  Mostly she seems to use one solid binding, but mine was a stash buster (and all in blues!!  Grin) so it looks great. 

Good luck with the job hunt! The big challenge for me is finding jobs that pay enough to cover life and childcare.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011 10:30:01 AM »

I don't know if you can for sure get them done for $10 or less (The batting'll be the bitch of that. If you were in Canada, I'd have the person staying at my place send you some of my large scraps, but cross-border shipping costs on that are beyond stupid) but you should come pretty damned close.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tivaclare
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011 05:03:02 PM »

Looking online at batting and whoa there's a ton of stuff!

Is this something like I would need? http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd36873

Ah, actually, found the exact thing you described (I think): http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=prd2776

Just wondering what the difference is? I saw several other products listed as crib/craft batting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SimplySandy
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011 07:29:17 PM »

You might want to check out this mug rug I just saw on here.  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=395744.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anaximander
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011 08:03:27 PM »

Crib / Craft is the size, not the material :/. I recommend 100% cotton because if boiling-temperatured water gets spilled on a polyester batting, then it may melt, or will certainly no longer be awesome. I keep that size around because it's just about the same as a yard of fabric - 45x34.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011 08:20:31 PM »

Bookmarked! My ever lengthening list of projects to try...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@ craftster
http://StudioLTD@etsy.com. Coupon code summerfun  50%
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd60/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Learn Graffiti Art
How to Do Grafitti Clothing
How to Sketch a Nose
How to Draw 3D Letters
Introduction to Watercolor Painting
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...