A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,215
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New here! 2 handbags and cellphone cozy :) semi-TUTORIAL ADDED  (Read 4165 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Terhen
« on: June 16, 2005 05:20:01 AM »

Hello hello! So, I'm new here (just registered) but I have been lurking around the forum for several days now. And I've been inspired, a lot!

So I have made some handbags. Some of them are pretty boring and I don't like all of them. BUT then I got better at making them and here are some results of what I have been doing lately  Smiley Oh, and I don't have sewing machine, so these are made all by hand with needle and thread Cheesy

---

There is three layers of fabric on both sides. Two of the pink one and one of creamwhite thick fabric. AND a layer of cotton wool to make it soft  Cheesy I made the pattern myself. I sewed those little pink flowers on the bag to give it even more girlygirly-look Cheesy (I'm not usually this girly, only on summer.)

Pink handbag with small pink flowers sewn on it. And inside-view. There's little pocket on the other side.

And on me. Shows how big it is.

---

This one has two layers of fabric and one of cotton wool in the middle of them. It keeps its shape perfectly (at least when there's nothing in it Cheesy ) It is pretty roomy, but very big objects don't fit to put in Grin And I made the pattern myself to this one too. It was supposed to become little different first but I noticed it was better to do this way. I am so proud of this bag! As I am proud of that pink one too.

Darkbrown handbag with red lining and two small inner pockets.

---

This one I made superquickly. I just cut out the fabric and sew it together Cheesy By hand, as always. Now my cellphone has this great small cozy to keep it from scratching and stuff Smiley

My cellphone cozy. And the phone in it.

---

EDIT!!!

Okay, someone wanted a tutorial for those bags... Well, I cannot make an actual tute with pics, 'cause I don't really have time to make bags right now (but I have time to be a nerd of course Wink ) but I can give you pics of the patterns I made and some explanation of the projects. Hope you understand whan I'm saying, english is not my motherlanguage and it may be rusty for not using it for a long time Tongue

There's pattern for the pink bag. Very basic indeed. You need 2 outer and 2 inner fabrics and batting (if you want) with this pattern. Depending on the handles you are using, you either need or don't need fabric for those too. I measured the handle-fabric just marking one spot on the handle and rolled it on the fabric and put bit of extra for folding and added width as much as I supposed I needed for the handles.

1. So I started from the handles. Cut the fabric, ironed the folds every side, pinned them over the handles and just sewed (by hand as everything else).
2. Then the actual bag-part. I actually had to use lot of layers in this one. Pink fabric what I used was very thin. So, both sides there is two pieces of pink, one piece of thick white fabric and one piece of batting. The layers were from outside to inside: pink, white, batting, pink. Ookay. So I cut all the pieces, used iron again to make folds every side, placed pieces in the right order, pinned together so the folds go neatly inside. (I'm not sure how to explain that... hope you understand anyway.) And made this for both sides of the bag.
3. I left the handle-roundness-area without pinning (is that right word???) and put the handles in (between batting and inner pink), THEN pinned it close. Same to the other half.
4. Then I just sewed the handle in the fabrics. Meaning that I sewed the handle-roundness-area close. And I sewed of course the top are on both sides of the handle close too. This for both bag halfs.
5. You see those triangle empty areas there on the bottom left and bottom right. Now you pin them together on INSIDE and sew them so the bag gets it round shape.
6. Then I sewed that little pocket on the other side (inside of the other part) of bag.
7. Put both bag halves together, outside on the inside. Pin them together. Start sewing BUT (this is important, I messed this up when I made this bag, I had to unpick the sewing when it was "finished" Undecided) leave about 5-7 cm from the top both sides of the handle unsewed. This is because you cannot turn it over when it is finished if you use that large metal/wooden handles like I did. (If you use only fabric-handles, then there's no problem.) When you have sewed the bottom together, fold the bag over so right sides are out, pin the 5-7 cm close again both sides and sew them close from inside. It should be easy if the handles are big.
8. When that last sewing is done, bag is ready! Or not if you want to put there some extras like I did Cheesy (pink little flowers.)

---

And here's patterns for the brown/red-bag. There's only the bags big sides and that long one for the small sides and bottom. I did the same thing with the handles as I did with the pink one. For the bottom/side-part I just measured how much that triangle-part was round and added few cm extra so it wouldn't be too small for sure.

1. Same stuff for the handles what I did with the pink one. Handles were a lot smaller tho.
2. The bag itself. Notice that the handle-round-area is "wider" than the actual handles, that way it is possible to make those pleats. So, I used three layers on every side: outer, batting and inner. Fabrics were both pretty thick. So, I ironed again the folds on every side. Then I pinned every piece together (outer, batting and inner).
3. I left that handle-round-area without pinning again and put those handles in, pinned it close and made two pleats middle, both outside and inside fabrics. It was very very thick that pleated part, my needle-finger was very sore after sewing this bag Cheesy Then I sewed the handle in.
4. When both handles were on place I sewed inside pockets on both sides.
5. I pinned that side/bottom lond fabric-stuff on to the big-side-parts edge. I sewed it on the inside (red side) from handles left side through bottom to the right side of the handle.
6. Turned bag red to outside and pinned the other big side to the bottom-part and sewed from inside.
7. Ready! Unless you want to do anything else Smiley

---

Gosh, this took forever with my english Cheesy Hope you understand the instruction without pics. Hope I didn't forget anythin important... Both of them are really easy to make. And I don't think you're stupid or anything, I just really really doubt my english with all there terms and stuff.. Gosh, I just need to practice more.[/color]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005 02:28:32 PM by Terhen » THIS ROCKS   Logged

---
.Terhen.
poppysmum

Mei has arrived! Pic ASAP...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005 05:25:43 AM »

CUTE! CUTE! CUTE! Ever since I had my daughter I've become obsessed with pink, love that little bag, love it all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beastbunny
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005 05:36:25 AM »

You people and your hand sewing!  I am both amazed and flabergasted.  I HATE hand sewing, and the things I have seen hand-sewn on here are shocking!  I just don't understand, when a machine exists for the sole purpose of doing away with hand-sewing, why someone would hand sew.  But good job with your pattern, that brown one is faboo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Terhen
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005 05:51:08 AM »

I don't have sewing machine Cry If I had, I would make tons of handbags! But 'cause I don't, I make them slowly. I will buy sewing machine as soon as I have that lot of extra money (maybe next moth when I start at new work).

Oh, and I'm perfectionist, so everything I do, I do it as well as I possibly can and with that equipment that I have Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

---
.Terhen.
poppysmum

Mei has arrived! Pic ASAP...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005 05:55:19 AM »

Sweety your work is gorgeous! You don't need a machine. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005 06:07:32 AM »

lovely, I like the designs alot. The brown one especially. I own 3 sewing machines and a serger, but I love to handsew..I don't know if your American or not but I bought 2 of my sewing machines used at a thrift store. One of them I only paid 7.00 for and it had no manual, but I found a maunual online for 14.00 so the machine ended up costing me 21.00. I also by extra feet from Ebay. You might wanna try there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
Terhen
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005 06:19:01 AM »

I'm from Finland Smiley There's whole ocean between me and you Cheesy I will try to look for some used but pretty good sewing machine after I have moved from North-Finland (Kemi) to South-Finland (Helsinki) (there's 800km travelling with all furniture and stuff). I hope to find one for about 100 cost. Less would be great, but I dont think I will find anything that cheap from here...

And if I'd buy something for ebay or else, the shipping costs would be rather big, I think... Never tried to buy anything there tho, so I'm no tsure of that Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

---
.Terhen.
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005 07:35:44 AM »

Gorgeous! Kudos to anyone who can sew by hand.....I don't have enought patience, so I guess it's good I have a machine. Your bags are gorgeous. I love how cushy they look. About how long does it take you to complete one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
Terhen
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005 07:46:27 AM »

Thanks!! Smiley Pink one took about 2 days (not WHOLE day tho Cheesy ). Don't know hours, but there was many of them! Sewing those little flowers on both sides took forever! Brown bag took about 7-9 hours if I'm right. That one I did on one day.

It's okay because I don't have anything else to do right now Cheesy New job starts right after moving, 4th of July. Then it would be great to have sewing machine! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

---
.Terhen.
PinkBalletShoes
...Oh, she's a crafty one, she is...

.:Drama Queen.. in the most literal sense:.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005 02:20:52 PM »

I love your bags, esp the pink one! Great job.. and I agree with beastbunny about the whole handsewing thing.. I just CANNOT do it! Can't do it well anyways. So, to sum it up, I am in awe. AWESOME JOB! Oh, and welcome to craftster!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Millions of peaches, peaches for me. Millions of peaches, peaches for free- Look out!-
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Winter Skin Beauty Boost
Theodore Leaf Shares Some Quick Makeover Tips
3 Minute Makeup Challenge
Glamour Magazine Celebrates Beauty Through the Decades
Makeup Genius Kandee Johnson Transforms Into Kim Kardashian in 30 Secs!
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...