A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,272
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pattern for Hot Head on circulars?  (Read 3194 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lisacb
« on: March 20, 2004 01:22:48 PM »

Now that I love using the circular needles/dpns for hat projects I dread the thought of using the straight needles and having to seam. Does anyone know how to convert the pattern for hot head onto circulars/dpns? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jpants
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2004 06:29:10 AM »

I've only done Hot Head on circulars.  with all those stripes, I also couldn't stand the thought of all that finishing.    you might want to put a marker on your needle when you join the ends at the beginning.  this way, everytime you get to the marker, you'll know you are a new round.  i just treated every round as a row from the pattern and just switched to the dpns as the top got too small for the circulars.
does that make sense?  if you have more specific questions, i might be able to help.
good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinknut

Legolas Lives!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2004 07:39:49 AM »

You can do any circular pattern on circulars easily.  Invest in some markers.  They're very handy.  Just mark the beginning of the row and you're good to go.  That's what I love about circulars, you really don't have to change anything if you want to use circulars.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisacb
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004 07:58:02 PM »

Really, thats it? Thats great! Thanks for the advice! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisacb
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004 12:05:59 PM »

I forgot to ask: What needle size would I use? Would a 7-16inch be alright or is that too small?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geekgirl
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2004 06:05:39 AM »

I've knit a ton of these on circs- very easy. I don't even follow the pattern anymore. I just decrease when I feel like it. I have trouble sticking to patterns though (and recipes, and directions etc...)!!

I don't have the book in front of me, but US 7 size needles sound way too small. I think the size was somewhere from 9-11 (check this in the book). The 16 (length of the circ) is correct for a hat so you should be fine there.

It does get a little trick at the top of the hat when decreasing on circs. A pattern would tell you to switch to double pointed needles. You can do this. I actually don't use double pointed needles, I use the "magic loop" method with circs. http://www.purlwise.com/2003/12/the_handy_magic.html

Have fun and good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sashers
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2005 12:23:24 AM »

As my first circular thingie (and the first on my new present- the denise interchangable knitting set!!) the first part of this hat is coming out quite well.  I've done the decreasing on straights pretty effortlessly, but I have one question about doing it on circulars.  I want to give the hat I'm making as a gift tomorrow, and I suppose it will become obvious what to do once I start, so if I don't hear back I suppose I'll just find out. 

Do you have to reverse any of the pattern for circulars in the decrease section?  Can you just follow it is it's written?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005 09:50:38 AM by sashers » THIS ROCKS   Logged
redbirdrae

David, by Hasselhoff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2005 07:53:08 AM »

I recently made a ribbed hat and used the Hot Head decreases. The thing to remember is that on circulars and DPNs, you're always knitting on the right side, so I think you do have to flip some knits and purls around. I don't have my book with me at the moment, but i think that, in the first few WS decreases, you just switch the knits and purls (instead of k2tog you p2tog). I just did whatever I thought would keep the ribbing continuity to the top and it worked out well.

Congrats on the Denise Interchangables...I'm jealous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sashers
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2005 11:08:41 AM »

Hrm.  Then maybe I have been knitting backwards?  I've been holding the bulk of the work towards me and the needles furthest from me, and all the ends and such from changing colors are on the inside (so the wrong side is the inside of the tube and the right side is the outside).  I've read that you work the side that's facing you, so that would mean that I'm always working the wrong side, right?  In that case, all I'd have to do is follow the WS instructions as written and flip the RS ones.  Do I have it backwards?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sashers
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2005 01:14:46 PM »

For anyone else who's trying this on circulars, I did exactly what I said and it came out pretty well.  The W and R sides aren't that different for this hat, anyway. 

I don't have DPNs that big, so I hacked the Denise set to get it done.  It doesn't come with DPNs, but for five rows it can be done as if.  You only ever use two tips at once, so you just swap in the relevant ones in as you need them.  It comes with six cords and you need four at a time.  It's awkward and I wouldn't use them to make socks or anything, but for this pattern it's doable.  It actually makes the crown neater because the stitches come out smaller at the top than they do on straights. 

But if my mattress stitch didn't suck so much I'd do it on straights. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rick Springfield Talks About Late, Late at Night Part 2
Blood Ties Book Trailer
David Grann Reveals His Previous Occupation
Kathy Charles Talks About John Belushi Is Dead
Judith Viorst Talks About Unexpectedly Eighty
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...