A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
412 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cinnamon Star Ornaments - are in the oven!  (Read 12514 times)
Tags for this thread: star , ornament , christmas_decoration , recipe_link , cinnamon  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cranberrry2001
« on: November 13, 2011 09:57:34 AM »

It's true Smiley I'm so excited about them! The cinnamon is a bit intoxicating, I hope my family can get through the 2 hours they need to be in the oven Smiley I plan to also try another recipe to bake ornaments later today Smiley but for now, here's a pic of the cinnamon stars before the oven! Smiley The recipe I used is here: http://www.mccormick.com/Recipes/Other/Cinnamon-Ornaments.aspx should you want to try it Smiley Though I admit adding a splash of orange peel and ground cloves Smiley

Here is the updated pic! Smiley All done and purdied up!! Smiley

and before the oven Smiley

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012 03:00:13 PM by cranberrry2001 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fishydrew3
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011 10:05:12 AM »

We make these every year!!  Love the smell.  We'll have to try orange peel this time:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To each their own
InkedKnitter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011 10:08:51 AM »

These sound yummy! How long are they edible for?

Dawn x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cranberrry2001
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011 10:13:42 AM »

These sound yummy! How long are they edible for?

Dawn x

Hi Dawn - these ornaments are not for consumption - the smell is said to last a while though and when it fades you can add cinnamon oil to them Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RhymeswOrange
please excuse her for the day, its just the way the medication makes her...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011 10:19:18 AM »

Love these!  I'm going to make some new ones this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I think my cat is sending me subliminal messages...
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011 10:30:30 AM »

I love the smell of these too - your stars look great.  do you decorate or leave them as is?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
carinafox5

yes, husband, I spent THAT much at Hobby Lobby 0:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011 10:42:45 AM »

I love making these every year for my son's class for parent gifts. I send in a bunch of different shapes with pre-cut ribbon of different colors, glitter glue, and seasonal tissue paper. They pick their shape... their ribbon color... and then they paint  and wrap them! Smiley

But, I like the texture of the ones you leave out and dry... I don't like the oven baked ones. They tend to not keep their smell as well after baking either. And, the texture seems a bit more brittle. I have some that I made with my kids 11 years ago and they are still beautiful and have a bit of smell left too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Forget Edward and Jacob...Team Jareth Smiley
http://wists.com/carinafox5
cranberrry2001
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011 10:59:42 AM »

I love the smell of these too - your stars look great.  do you decorate or leave them as is?
Hi Onyxnox - they are literally in the oven right now Smiley I plan to leave them as is this time and see how much I like them. I've seen people decorate with glitter and/or sugar but I really like the simplicity of these untouched Smiley

Love these!  I'm going to make some new ones this year.

cool Smiley have fun!

I love making these every year for my son's class for parent gifts. I send in a bunch of different shapes with pre-cut ribbon of different colors, glitter glue, and seasonal tissue paper. They pick their shape... their ribbon color... and then they paint  and wrap them! Smiley

But, I like the texture of the ones you leave out and dry... I don't like the oven baked ones. They tend to not keep their smell as well after baking either. And, the texture seems a bit more brittle. I have some that I made with my kids 11 years ago and they are still beautiful and have a bit of smell left too Smiley

I knit, but I don't think I have the patience to leave them out to dry for days - who knows - maybe I'll pull these from the oven and let them air dry the rest of the way Smiley I think its awesome you made these as gifts!! I was thinking maybe one for my colleagues come christmas time too Smiley

We make these every year!!  Love the smell.  We'll have to try orange peel this time:)

Yes Smiley have fun! Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011 02:01:22 PM by cranberrry2001 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranberrry2001
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011 04:14:44 PM »

Just updated the post with pictures of them all done Smiley Hope you like 'em! Thank you all for your comments! Smiley Love hearing from you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Peach05
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011 04:00:37 AM »

These look perfect. 
I like how they look plain (without being decorated), except for a ribbon and jingle bell, of course!!

Great job.  I'm sure the house smells good as they bake. 

I like the idea of setting them out to dry for days, also- which might keep the scent longer.

I'm getting in the Christmas mood........
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cranberrry2001
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011 02:51:02 PM »

These look perfect. 
I like how they look plain (without being decorated), except for a ribbon and jingle bell, of course!!

Great job.  I'm sure the house smells good as they bake. 

I like the idea of setting them out to dry for days, also- which might keep the scent longer.

I'm getting in the Christmas mood........

Thank you Smiley The house did smell of spicy goodness as they baked! Smiley There is still that subtle spice smell when getting home from work today Smiley I think I may hang one in my car! Cheesy smells so nice! Smiley

Its hard not to be in the Christmas mood with all the stores decking their halls with decorations Smiley Time to get out the Christmas lists! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011 04:03:01 PM »

I have one of these ornaments that my son made in daycare when he was about three, and he is now almost 18, and it it JUST starting to lose its smell (the ornament, not my son!).  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
cranberrry2001
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011 04:05:32 PM »

I have one of these ornaments that my son made in daycare when he was about three, and he is now almost 18, and it it JUST starting to lose its smell (the ornament, not my son!).  Grin

LOL too funny! Smiley this is good to know! Cheesy Thank you! Smiley
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011 04:32:05 PM by cranberrry2001 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011 04:24:55 PM »

great idea to hang one in the car for the holidays! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join the Shop the Swap Winter Market Discussion SIGNUPS Sept 26 - Oct 10!!

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
jillybeans
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011 05:08:37 PM »

I just made some of these sunday morning!  Yours turned out so pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

I've moved in May 2013!  Contact me for my new address!
cranberrry2001
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011 08:13:06 PM »

great idea to hang one in the car for the holidays! 

thank you alteredmommy Smiley I'll have to share a pic if/when I do Smiley 

I just made some of these sunday morning!  Yours turned out so pretty!

Thanks so much jillybeans! Smiley Care to share yours? Smiley would love to see Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011 03:35:27 PM »

I am totally making these when we get home from Thanksgiving. My kids would love to be able to actually help with one of my crafts. Hurray family bonding!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011 03:50:24 PM by jexxican » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life.

It's much more fun, this growing down. -RIP Uncle Shelby-
cranberrry2001
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011 06:58:35 PM »

I am totally making these when we get home from Thanksgiving. My kids would love to be able to actually help with one of my crafts. Hurray family bonding!

Yay family bonding yay! Cheesy Seriously, things are so much memorable when you get to share them with others! Smiley Normally I'm baking and my sister helps with a portion - okay in this case it just helps things go faster Wink but still! When I make edible cookies she helps eat them - along with the hubs Smiley I wish I could make cookies that tasted like the full of fat and flavor ones but that were zero calories... is that too much to ask?? Smiley okay, okay I digress - but back to the point -family bonding is dee best! Smiley Have fun! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JerseyGal
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011 12:55:49 PM »

Has anyone ever put these in a food dehydrator to dry?  It's low heat and I'm wondering if it would work.
I am definitely making them this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashgrim
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011 10:20:45 AM »

I think I've seen these before, but never thought of making them. I think I'm going to make some to give away this year to my coworkers and son's teachers. Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm definitely open to personal swaps--pm me!

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/ashgrim/

My blog: http://www.ashleymgrimes.com

Participating in the Wee House CAL
cranberrry2001
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011 06:06:03 PM »

Has anyone ever put these in a food dehydrator to dry?  It's low heat and I'm wondering if it would work.

that's a good question! I don't have a food dehydrator - makes me wonder what kinds of shape they would dry into  provided they stuck together Smiley what a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranberrry2001
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011 06:08:34 PM »

I've been thinking the same thing! co-workers I think would appreciate them Smiley handmade with love and all that good stuff! Smiley  I picked up some cinnamon for a mere .99 at wegmans tonight for the amount I need to make the stars. 99 cents versus $4.14 at Target I was tempted to clear them out! lol I love getting a good deal Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2011 07:17:18 PM »

I buy mine from Sam's Wink These would be great teacher's gifts! I was worried because this is the first year I get to do teacher's gifts and I think there are 3 ladies in his classroom that I would feel the need to gift to. I am so happy I know what we are going to make for them now! Russ will be so happy! I even have extra cellophane bags from his birthday party to tie them in! Now how do I get them to the school without them breaking in his bag?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The perplexity of life arises from there being too many interesting things in it for us to be interested properly in any of them."
- G. K. Chesterton

cranberrry2001
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2011 08:14:22 PM »

I buy mine from Sam's Wink These would be great teacher's gifts! I was worried because this is the first year I get to do teacher's gifts and I think there are 3 ladies in his classroom that I would feel the need to gift to. I am so happy I know what we are going to make for them now! Russ will be so happy! I even have extra cellophane bags from his birthday party to tie them in! Now how do I get them to the school without them breaking in his bag?

oooh in bulk! :0) I like it! I like it! Smiley

Maybe a box filled with first packing peanuts, then the lil pretties Smiley (cinnamon stars) and then more packing peanuts. all taped up snug in the box for safe travels - I'll cross my fingers for you! Cheesy Wink good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Granny_Leah
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2011 06:19:10 PM »

I made these for an ornament swap in 2007; dried in the dehydrator, they still smell good.
The applesauce/cinnamon shapes in the middle of the wreaths are about an inch. The designs are puff paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just as I am
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011 06:29:42 PM »

How cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranberrry2001
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011 08:21:32 PM »

I made these for an ornament swap in 2007; dried in the dehydrator, they still smell good.
The applesauce/cinnamon shapes in the middle of the wreaths are about an inch. The designs are puff paint.

omigoodness grannyleah! Smiley how adorable! Smiley thank you so much for sharing! Cheesy so pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kat Shenton

Dreaming - where the best ideas develop!

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011 11:42:45 PM »

Ohhh what a lovely idea! I might have to give those a go at some point!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011 08:12:00 AM »

I made some. They are about an inch big. I should grease the pan next time, which will be soon. I also need to figure out how to not make the back sides ugly. Maybe foil the pan then grease it? We'll see. I'll show you later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

littlefawnpug

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011 12:53:56 PM »

I made some. They are about an inch big. I should grease the pan next time, which will be soon. I also need to figure out how to not make the back sides ugly. Maybe foil the pan then grease it? We'll see. I'll show you later.

I put them on tin foil and that make them to where they didnt really stick and the tin foil just pulls right off of them.  My problem is after I bake them they are so brittle they just crumble and break.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
Granny_Leah
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2011 01:12:43 PM »

Perhaps the temperature is too high?
The dehydrator goes to 135 degrees at it's highest, so it really just dries them out rather than bakes them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranberrry2001
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2011 01:17:26 PM »

Best of luck! Smiley Can't wait to see! Smiley Reminds me - need to take a picture of my "car freshener" Smiley

Ohhh what a lovely idea! I might have to give those a go at some point!

they're fun Kat! Smiley you get to get your hands dirty a bit and the house smelling all nice ! Smiley so many benefits to this craft Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranberrry2001
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2011 01:35:35 PM »

I put them on tin foil and that make them to where they didnt really stick and the tin foil just pulls right off of them.  My problem is after I bake them they are so brittle they just crumble and break.

awe - bummer! In truth I pulled mine out of the oven before the recipe called to. I think the area you live in would make a difference too - higher humidity places/times of the year vs the opposite. Something to think about and play with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ant Bea

I am one crafty chick!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2011 04:50:19 PM »

I love making these! Last year my 8 year old granddaughter made them and gave out as gifts to the family (though they were not as precise as yours)! And I love the smell of them baking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StickHorses
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2011 05:19:27 PM »

These are nice...my family loves the smell...I just hope I can keep them from eating them. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlefawnpug

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2011 06:22:57 AM »

I think you all are right, its like the ones I do are being baked.  Well, Im going to make more later and let them air dry this time. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
cranberrry2001
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2011 08:31:23 AM »

I love making these! Last year my 8 year old granddaughter made them and gave out as gifts to the family (though they were not as precise as yours)! And I love the smell of them baking!

they are so yummy smelling Cheesy My husband asked when they were baking if I was sure they weren't edible lol Smiley

These are nice...my family loves the smell...I just hope I can keep them from eating them. Wink

lol - let them sample some of the "dough" and have some water handy if they cannot resist Smiley - best to you!! Smiley

I think you all are right, its like the ones I do are being baked.  Well, Im going to make more later and let them air dry this time. 

with all this talk I think I need to make another batch myself Smiley have to give the coworkers some presents, I think this would be ideal Smiley

here is the car freshner Smiley for the holidays I had one single (larger) blue green jingle bell and decided to put it on this one. I like the way the circular jingle bells look Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2011 06:53:42 PM »

I made about 50 of these. Well, more than 50 but only 50 survived long enough to get ribbons. They are only 1" big! Not really worth ornaments but they are still cute and smell nice. We'll be making more for gifts later this week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

cranberrry2001
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2011 10:06:25 AM »

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/188385_04Dec11_img_1249.jpg
I made about 50 of these. Well, more than 50 but only 50 survived long enough to get ribbons. They are only 1" big! Not really worth ornaments but they are still cute and smell nice. We'll be making more for gifts later this week.

Awe Smiley I really like the pinecone ones! Smiley  they all look great!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011 01:27:54 PM by kittykill - Reason: Quoted image » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jexxican

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2011 06:07:59 PM »

K, I made more. This time I used an entire thing of cinnamon from Sam's, which happens to be exactly 4x the recipe. We've painted a bunch and it's tempting to show the progress shots but that might just be me wanting to show off my kids Wink

Sadly, none of those were painted by my 2 year old but you can imagine those, right?
We're going to paint a few more (I have so many not painted!) and make bags for his teachers this week. Oooooooh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

cranberrry2001
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2011 08:03:27 PM »

Woot! Woot! Jexxican! Smiley That's great! Smiley Looks like you guys had a great time!  The Trees are my favorite! Cheesy the snowman are so cute! Smiley you got me wondering what I may have in my craft stash for glue paint Smiley

I'm contemplating giving cinnamon ornaments or white Christmas cookies as gifts to the co-worker this next week myself Smiley either way I 'm sure it'll be good Smiley

find the cookie recipe here: http://foodcamerablog.blogspot.com/2011/12/white-chocolate-chip-cookies-with-m.html?showComment=1323630528538#c7109359352716184370 great blog too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashgrim
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2011 07:40:29 AM »

How many ornaments did you get out of one batch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm definitely open to personal swaps--pm me!

My Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/ashgrim/

My blog: http://www.ashleymgrimes.com

Participating in the Wee House CAL
jexxican

« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2011 07:58:11 AM »

I want to say like a dozen but I might be off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

cranberrry2001
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2011 09:17:31 AM »

I want to say like a dozen but I might be off.

I agree, my recipe said 12 - 15 Smiley I was able to get 13 from my batch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MogasaLiz
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2011 10:55:06 AM »

These are beautiful! I grew up with these every year as a kid.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011 11:18:00 AM by alteredmommy - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster posting rules » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jexxican

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2012 02:21:31 PM »

I'm about to make more for Russ' Kindergarten teachers. Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- G. K. Chesterton

cranberrry2001
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2012 02:57:01 PM »

Jexxican! Smiley your house is about to smell AWESOME! Cheesy Have fun! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Imply Image Depth
How to Photograph in Infra Red.
How to Use Positive and Negative Space
How to Select What goes in the Image
How to Create a Sunstar Effect in Camera Part 1/2
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...