A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first gallery exhibit!! (incredible amount of pictures)  (Read 10264 times)
Tags for this thread: watercolor , latex_resist , featured_project , craftster_best_of_2011  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Phantome
« on: November 12, 2011 06:47:05 PM »

Awhile back, I posted two watercolor paintings I did, "Titania and Oberon." http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=387148.0

I also posted them on my Facebook, and a local gallery and gift shop owner saw my work, and asked me to create a collection for October's Final Friday (it's an art gallery crawl every last Friday of the month)! I ended up having major oral surgery that kept me from painting for a good half of the time I had to prepare, so there were definitely a few scrambling all-nighters trying to get ready!

Anyway, the show came off brilliantly, and I sold four of my biggest pieces (and my showpiece, "Seasons") on the first night! There were well over 100 people there (considered a great turn out in this area), and I got tons of lovely comments in my guestbook, yay! This was such an awesome experience, because I'm not trained in art in any way- I'm a musician by day, and this is all just a hobby. I'm happy to know that people love my stuff!

All the pieces are generously matted in white mats with a black core, and framed in edgeless gallery frames. BTW, the variations in color of the paper are because some photos are scans, and some are photographs. All the paintings are on white watercolor paper. My artist's statement is at the end of the post, and goes into some detail about my inspiration and technique. On to the pics, enjoy!

This is my showpiece, "Seasons." It's about 26"x32." I love how the variations in the color look frosty! I really wish I could upload a huge pic of this- there is so much extreme detail in this that is completely lost in the compressed image. Boo... ETA: I decided to include some cropped pics of this one, so everyone can see the detail. The images follow this one.

Winter:

Spring:

Summer:

Fall:

This is "Titania" and "Oberon," the pieces that inspired the entire show! (These aren't the originals, because I didn't want to sell those. I re-painted them instead). 8.5"x11"

I did two more companion pieces to go with Titania and Oberon, called "Dandelion" and "Queen Anne's Lace." These were displayed in quad formation as well, and I realized that the series sort of depicted the seasons through color, with Titania being Winter, Dandelion being spring, Queen Anne's Lace being summer, and Oberon being fall. I liked that it was an unintentional cohesive thread, with the cyclic seasons thing.

These are the "Lady Mums," green and pink. 6"x12"

This is "Chandelier." All the detail of the chandelier was painted with the tip of a needle dipped in liquid latex, and for the chain, I painted the latex AROUND the chain, so that I could still use the drip method to organically blend the colors, and avoid brushstrokes. 8.5"x11"

This is "Love," which I, ahem, love. Smiley I used a fountain pen filled with latex to write the script, and again, painted around the areas outside the circle. 8.5"x11"

I did a series of leet/text speak prints that ended up being really popular! This is "I Luv U!", 8.5"x11"

"OMG" and "LOL," both 5.5"x8.5"

"Whatever," 26"x32" inspired by the fight for marriage equality (as in, "whatever, why should it even matter?").

This is a series of small sparrows that I did in a range of colors. They hang as a set in quad formation, 4"x6"

This one is "Wheat," like my amber waves of grain of the tall grass prairie that I call home. I go to grad school at Wichita State University, whose mascot is the Wheat Shock (or "Shocker." Yes, I know...) and colors of black and gold, so I made a companion piece called "Shocker Pride."

The next two are companion pieces, 12"x12." "Wisteria" and "Purple Cone Flower"

And of course, some pics of me at the gallery opening, and all my paintings in action!

So much food and booze!

And just because this post isn't nearly long enough, here is my artist's statement, so you can get an idea of the inspiration and the technique I used. Enjoy!

"Ive been told that Im a study in contrasts. I can be both fluid and stubborn, I get hot when its cold out, and I like salty and sweet foods together. Im a musician by trade, and consider it to be the ultimate in contrast; expend tremendous effort and skill to create the illusion of effortless beauty, in an endless cycle of preparation and performance. My watercolor paintings are influenced by these elements; I endeavor to create subjects defined by sharp juxtaposition and the cyclical nature of life.

In this collection, I've used a liquid latex mask to create reverse silhouettes. To ensure the most contrast with the sharp, masked lines, I never use brushstrokes. Instead, I drip the color onto the paper from a foot or more up, so that the liquid can flow, blend, and spread in the most organic way possible. The result is something that is both defined and undefined.

I use the circle as a recurring element, because it is something that is completely both with and without limitation; given an environment free of restriction, a liquid will always form a sphere, yet it remains perfect and defined. The circle is also representative of the continual life, death, and rebirth of everything that keeps us human.

The works are vibrant and alive, using vivid colors and imagery, much of which was found within my own garden. I love the juxtaposition of hard and soft, organic and inorganic, and light and dark, and use these stark contrasts to bring the subject to life in an unexpected manner."

« Last Edit: November 12, 2011 07:01:39 PM by Phantome » THIS ROCKS   Logged

This is my signature; there are many like it, but this one is mine.
Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011 07:05:56 PM »

these are so stunning, I have to ask does the liquid latex peel off? or does the paint just wipe off of it? I love the look of these and would love a new technique to try for some wall art for my Fiance and I's first place together. I love the fluid yet bright colors of these! clicked this rocks for sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phantome
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011 07:14:24 PM »

Thanks! The liquid latex goes on like a rubber mask- once it dries, you paint over it, then let the paint dry. Then all you have to do is peel it off, just like peeling a banana! I use a rolled up was of the dried latex to help that process, since it sticks really well to itself.

If you want a unique piece of art for your first place, try doing a portrait of the two of you in this style! I did for two of my colleagues' wedding (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=387151.0), and have gotten, like 10 commissions for more of the same for my other friends since then. There's a tute here in the discussions category where I learned about this technique, you should definitely check it out! Thanks again! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011 07:18:52 PM »

! I love that idea! I could use the picture from the day we got engaged! I think i need to hunt out the discussion board topic with how to do it... hmmmm... I think this idea is great. and the results are stunning!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phantome
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011 07:28:04 PM »

Here's the tute! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=301135.0

I did almost the same thing, but instead of a light box, I printed the photo of them that I wanted to use, then outlined the essential lines in black marker. Then I traced over that with pencil on tracing paper, then rubbed the pencil onto the watercolor paper so the pencil lines would be visible, but faint and easily erasable. I didn't have a light box set up, and I wanted to get the detail to be as photographic as possible, so while this was a few extra (easy) steps, the result was really nice, I thought. I did end up free-handing a pretty big portion of it, but I tend to change things up as I go. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitsune-Tearz
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011 07:37:31 PM »

Thanks! Smiley I don't have a light box... I have a table with a glass top and just use a lamp under that lol, it gets the job done. I can't wait to try this out... even though it has to wait until I finish up my x-mas crafts (I have 3-4 cross stitches, a fully beaded dream catcher, 6 shadow boxes and 9 moon lights to make for that) I'm super excited to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
omgferosh92
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011 08:29:46 PM »

I love your work! It's so beautiful. Your designs and colors are lovely. And thank you for the portrait suggestion. I want to see if I can do that for my sister for Christmas. Thank and amazing job! : Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011 08:44:33 PM »

These are all very beautiful. I especially like the birds! Congratulations and thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlebluegirl
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011 11:34:21 PM »

Beautiful!  I love your style and use of colour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011 12:55:29 AM »

Beautiful work, so vibrant! It's really great seeing it all together like this, congratulations on the exhibition.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Dry Shampoo for Dark Hair
Tips for Coloring Hair from Dark to Light
How to Create a Massive Kelly Osbourne Top Knot
How to Get An Updated Modern Ponytail
Top 4 Best Clip in Hair Extensions
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...