A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Doctor Who scarf - season 12  (Read 8149 times)
Tags for this thread: doctor_who , dr_who , scarf , tv_show  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012 06:28:36 AM »

There is a horrid section of tan/beige and a horrid section of the green...it seemed I would never get out of those...

I always leave the labels on and pull from the middle of commercial skeins of yarn...

You will notice that all of the sections are in even numbers...which helps a bit to let you know you are ready to change colors...colors are always changed at the same side and all weaving is at the same side...in the beginning I used a row counter...but since it is garter stitch, you can count the bumps...each bump is two rows, so if you have 27 bumps, you have knit 54 rows...

I would knit up a little sample or else use a short section and count carefully...try to count your bumps to get a feel for how to do it...and if your yarn is on the same side as your starting tail, and you have an even number, you are set!  I was very obsessed with making sure I had the exact number of rows...Cheesy

I printed out the colors and rows and used a highlighter to mark each finished section...there are some very interesting things I noticed about the scarf...the color sequence for each half never repeats...so for instance, if you have grey then beige, you will not have grey next to beige until you are past the halfway mark...you will see as you go...

I do not knot my color changes...but I can't remember how to explain it since I guess I do it naturally...I will see if I can get a closeup unless Mio can explain...she is an excellent teacher! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012 06:32:56 AM »

whoa--i just read that jellybaby is on her 4th Dr. Who Scarf!!!!  That is so great---you must be patient and fast!

I am not sure I like the orange and burgandy one enough to do it...

This one was on my bucket list of knitting so at least I hope to finally get it done this year...Mio has been quite encouraging!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012 07:21:51 AM »

For the colour changes, I did it the way the website suggested: at the start of the new colour row, I held the old colour with the new colour and did three stitches holding the strands together. Then I dropped the old colour and continued on with the new.

I'm not sure I'd change colours like this on any other project, though, as it looked odd to me, but that is how the colour change was done on the original and I wanted to stay true to that.

To keep track of where I was, I made up a spreadsheet on google docs, with the number of rows in one column (highlighted in the colour it was supposed to be) and then putting the date finished in the next column. I always marked the date whenever I was working on it, and I had marked the date down 17 times. That's how I knew how long it took to make. :-)

Alwaysinmyroom: you are awesome and too kind!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012 07:37:22 AM »

I wish I had recorded the time...I noticed that my crochet buddy does that each project...I think I will start doing it...I might be able to figure out the hours spent on this scarf by figuring out how long it takes me to do 10 rows...

I am doing another long term project:  a linen knit scarf...and I know it took me six hours to get about 1/2 inch of scarf! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JellyBabyK9
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012 09:19:07 PM »

Whoops! Sorry for the confusion alwaysinmyroom, I meant Fourth Doctor as in Tom Baker Fourth Doctor not my fourth scarf. I'll be lucky if I get through making my first scarf in 5 months lol  Smiley

Garter stitch is always daunting for me in long stints, but I did just order a bunch of Vanna's Choice in the colors listed off Joanne Fabrics website since they are on sale right now with free shipping!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sassy Pillow on yarn

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012 09:52:24 PM »

so you didnt use straight needles it says 4mm circs is that stand for circular or some brand? my last project was a pillow case cover and had 100 stiches but I only did it for 28 inches lol , how do you wash this? sorry so many questions im still learning Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

ahonui, lokahi, 'aka'aka

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012 12:41:53 AM »

Your scarf looks so great! Someday, I'm totally going to take this on and hope it looks half as fabulous as yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest | etsy | blog

Can i knit you something in seed stitch? I'd love to swap you for: handspun yarn, hand carved banana stamp...
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012 02:55:24 AM »

so you didnt use straight needles it says 4mm circs is that stand for circular or some brand? my last project was a pillow case cover and had 100 stiches but I only did it for 28 inches lol , how do you wash this? sorry so many questions im still learning Smiley

Yes, I used circular needles, but I did that for two reasons: first, coming from a crochet background I find using shorter needles easier, and second, I was planning on working on this on my commute in the beginning and I was worried about dropping a needle on the subway.

As for washing, it's acrylic. I'd just throw it in the washer and dryer, though not too long in the dryer (it won't need it anyway)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012 06:31:28 AM »

I also wove in my ends every feet or so...the thought of doing them all at one time would mean it would be a WIP forever! Cheesy

The width is a bit daunting as well...11 inches is a very wide scarf, so on me, it folds in half...I know it is nuts, but I was thinking of making a mini one about six inches wide and 7 feet long--just cutting all the rows in half but using the same color pattern! Cheesy

I will see if I have any yarn left!  Oh--and I could not find the wine color in Vanna White so I used something else Lion Brand...wool ease, maybe...the color matched perfectly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012 10:18:21 AM »

I know it is nuts, but I was thinking of making a mini one about six inches wide and 7 feet long--just cutting all the rows in half but using the same color pattern! Cheesy

That sounds great; I'll bet it'd look good. Although you don't usually hear the words "mini" and "7 feet long" together.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Hair Tips
Managing Curly Hair
Styling Lotion
How to Pin your Hair Up
Hair Styling Golden Rules
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...