A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,567
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Doctor Who scarf - season 12  (Read 7502 times)
Tags for this thread: doctor_who , dr_who , scarf , tv_show  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 11, 2011 08:20:20 AM »

This is the first (needle) knitting project I have finished. Whew!

Pattern: I used the instructions found at http://doctorwhoscarf.com
Yarn: Vanna's Choice (I'm allergic to wool)
Needles: 4mm circs
Time: I started working on this in January and just finished today, but I kept close track of my progress, and according to my notes, this took 17 days of actual knitting.

It measures 11" wide, and came out a little short, at about 14', but I think it'll stretch out more over time.

When I went to take a picture, I immediately thought of the way I usually display a scarf, but, er...

It's a tad too big for my bear...

So, I decided to freak out the neighbours a bit and tried taking a pic in the common hallway:

But that doesn't show the colours very well, so....

That'll do. :-)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011 11:42:07 AM by fantasticmio » THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011 08:33:04 AM »

Beautiful! Love all the colors.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011 09:16:12 AM »

It turned out great...did you have any troubles swapping out the colors with the Vanna White yarn?

You didn't keep the colors you used by any chance, did you? Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
LimeRiot
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Sublime

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011 10:09:41 AM »

Whoa!! It just goes on and on and on, doesn't it!? Great job, mio. I know this took dedication but it was worth it. The final product is marvelous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest!
My Blog!

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011 10:46:53 AM »

It turned out great...did you have any troubles swapping out the colors with the Vanna White yarn?

You didn't keep the colors you used by any chance, did you? Grin

I do have them, actually!

Red: Brick
Purple: Burgundy
Grey: Charcoal Grey
Beige: Beige
Brown: Toffee
Yellow: Mustard
Green: Olive

I originally ordered one of each, and two of the green.  However, I ran out of grey before finishing the last stripe (so I did two rows less than I was supposed to... I added two extra rows to the last brown stripe).  I came right down to the wire on the red.

HOWEVER! I forgot, while I was knitting, that the pattern calls for a fringe! D'oh!  I ended up needing an extra ball of the red and grey in order to do that.

I may have been able to get by with only one ball of green, but I wasn't sure how many rows what I had left of the first ball would do, so when I did a wide green stripe, I switched to the second ball.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011 11:17:39 AM »

Thanks--I have lots of Vanna White yarn and this would make a fun project for our predicated long winter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
silentblair

Intellect and Romance over Brute Force and Cynicism

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011 09:31:45 AM »

I applaud you in completion of this daunting task!

I know when I finished mine I felt like doing several victory laps.
You go into it thinking "What's the big deal? It's just garter stitch!"

IT'S A BIG DEAL!!!!

Way to go looks great, and I love that you posted the Vanna's Choice substitution colors for everyone. Very Thoughtful Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011 09:33:57 AM »

It's only about 50000 stitches! No big deal! *passes out*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

silentblair

Intellect and Romance over Brute Force and Cynicism

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011 12:55:53 PM »

It's only about 50000 stitches! No big deal! *passes out*

But now you have it done and under your belt (or around yours and a friend or two's necks).
You deserve the knit number induced coma!
Enjoy the rest Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011 07:18:52 AM »

Tom Baker scarves always impress the heck out of me, but I live in a hot climate so I've never given in to the temptation to make one. I'm afraid your providing the yarn colors and amounts you used is making it even more tempting, though. Must be strong!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011 07:33:53 AM »

I am nearly 1/4 the way through!  and the scarf is a little over three feet, so I imagine it is going to be about 14 feet likes yours!  I am at the dreaded 44 rows of green...I hate those long stretches of garter stitches but I feel like I am on a mission...after three tries, I am way further than I ever was before! Cheesy

Yeah--it is going to be a long and very warm scarf/stole...I will probably never wear it out, but it would be great to wrap around in our awful winters... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011 11:45:30 AM »

I went to see the Yarn Harlot launch her new book last week and showed her the scarf.  I made it in her blog post! http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2011/11/21/done_but_behind.html

How cool is that? ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011 12:57:50 PM »

oh Mio--that is awesome sauce!!!

You look so cool with your scarf!  What a great incentive to keep going on mine!  Just in time for the release of the DVD's this week! Go Dr. Who!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
lilusa
What?

Beep Boop

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011 01:14:30 PM »

I'm impressed!  I started one (Also using Vanna's Choice) and then remembered i hate knitting! LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Available for Private Swaps (including ATCs)

Gallery of my crafts: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/lilusa/library/Crafts%20and%20such
catlover81

Sassy Pillow on yarn

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012 04:04:16 AM »

ive been wanting to make one of these how much did all the yarn cost and where did you get it all i know the kind they recommend using is so expensive it would cost hundreds to do it . I thought about just getting cheap similar colors at hobby lobby but wanted to see what you did first Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012 04:39:20 AM »

I got most of it at http://www.herrschners.ca/ during a sale and bought the extra couple of colours I had run out of at Michaels.

All in, I think I spent about $50 (Canadian) on the yarn.

The sheer length of this scarf means it won't be cheap to make, regardless of materials.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012 04:42:55 AM »

progress shot!  I used the chart in the link that Mio gave to buy Vanna White yarn--2 skeins of each color so far...this pic is about half--I am now 3/4 done!  I waited until Joann's had the yarn on sale $2/5 so I think it is about $50.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
JellyBabyK9
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012 07:24:28 PM »

It came out fantastic! I've been looking into making my Fourth Doctor scarf, but since couldn't really find an affordable yarn that matches the colors of the original, I'm definitely going to have to use the Vanna's choice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sassy Pillow on yarn

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012 11:33:04 PM »

wool is generally more so that's probably why when I priced it , it was so much I know a hat I did in wool ease was $9 just for one skein of yarn Im going get them at hobby lobby looks cheaper then paying shipping then I can get a few colors at a time I may also look at other brands I know I love this yarn is cheap and has gobs of colors if its similar to the Vanna(altho looks like the vanna is $3.33 right now ), I may work it as I can afford it as well. It took me 8 months to do a 7 foot long blanket by 4 feet wide lol so im thinking this will be about that long if I can do 3-4 colors/skiens a month im still new and have no one to teach me so im having some issues changing color I didnt understand the instructions so what I did was just take the new color and loop it thro the old color and knot it for the first stich then knit in the rest im sure its not right but its all I know to do then I tapestry needle it so it stays together. I have had luck doing it this way with hats and a blanket. my first color change my yarn kept braking and i knotted it in the middle of the yarn I learned quickly you dont do that does anyone have any advice on how to get it in a ball without knots in the yarn/without the yarn braking it seems the skiens I buy have tons of knots in the top do you roll from the middle then?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catlover81

Sassy Pillow on yarn

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012 12:42:31 AM »

the pattern reads 52rows of  tan is that Beige? that should keep me busy a while lol to get 4-5 colors to start sounds about right since some are long rows. im worried about tracking the rows Ive never done so many different rows I think keeping it on the computers notepad may be best since if I write it I will lose it lol
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012 01:33:16 AM by catlover81 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012 06:28:36 AM »

There is a horrid section of tan/beige and a horrid section of the green...it seemed I would never get out of those...

I always leave the labels on and pull from the middle of commercial skeins of yarn...

You will notice that all of the sections are in even numbers...which helps a bit to let you know you are ready to change colors...colors are always changed at the same side and all weaving is at the same side...in the beginning I used a row counter...but since it is garter stitch, you can count the bumps...each bump is two rows, so if you have 27 bumps, you have knit 54 rows...

I would knit up a little sample or else use a short section and count carefully...try to count your bumps to get a feel for how to do it...and if your yarn is on the same side as your starting tail, and you have an even number, you are set!  I was very obsessed with making sure I had the exact number of rows...Cheesy

I printed out the colors and rows and used a highlighter to mark each finished section...there are some very interesting things I noticed about the scarf...the color sequence for each half never repeats...so for instance, if you have grey then beige, you will not have grey next to beige until you are past the halfway mark...you will see as you go...

I do not knot my color changes...but I can't remember how to explain it since I guess I do it naturally...I will see if I can get a closeup unless Mio can explain...she is an excellent teacher! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012 06:32:56 AM »

whoa--i just read that jellybaby is on her 4th Dr. Who Scarf!!!!  That is so great---you must be patient and fast!

I am not sure I like the orange and burgandy one enough to do it...

This one was on my bucket list of knitting so at least I hope to finally get it done this year...Mio has been quite encouraging!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012 07:21:51 AM »

For the colour changes, I did it the way the website suggested: at the start of the new colour row, I held the old colour with the new colour and did three stitches holding the strands together. Then I dropped the old colour and continued on with the new.

I'm not sure I'd change colours like this on any other project, though, as it looked odd to me, but that is how the colour change was done on the original and I wanted to stay true to that.

To keep track of where I was, I made up a spreadsheet on google docs, with the number of rows in one column (highlighted in the colour it was supposed to be) and then putting the date finished in the next column. I always marked the date whenever I was working on it, and I had marked the date down 17 times. That's how I knew how long it took to make. :-)

Alwaysinmyroom: you are awesome and too kind!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012 07:37:22 AM »

I wish I had recorded the time...I noticed that my crochet buddy does that each project...I think I will start doing it...I might be able to figure out the hours spent on this scarf by figuring out how long it takes me to do 10 rows...

I am doing another long term project:  a linen knit scarf...and I know it took me six hours to get about 1/2 inch of scarf! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
JellyBabyK9
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012 09:19:07 PM »

Whoops! Sorry for the confusion alwaysinmyroom, I meant Fourth Doctor as in Tom Baker Fourth Doctor not my fourth scarf. I'll be lucky if I get through making my first scarf in 5 months lol  Smiley

Garter stitch is always daunting for me in long stints, but I did just order a bunch of Vanna's Choice in the colors listed off Joanne Fabrics website since they are on sale right now with free shipping!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sassy Pillow on yarn

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012 09:52:24 PM »

so you didnt use straight needles it says 4mm circs is that stand for circular or some brand? my last project was a pillow case cover and had 100 stiches but I only did it for 28 inches lol , how do you wash this? sorry so many questions im still learning Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bananaleg
Will Knit For Tattoos... or Airfare

ahonui, lokahi, 'aka'aka

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012 12:41:53 AM »

Your scarf looks so great! Someday, I'm totally going to take this on and hope it looks half as fabulous as yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinterest | etsy | blog

Can i knit you something in seed stitch? I'd love to swap you for: handspun yarn, hand carved banana stamp...
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012 02:55:24 AM »

so you didnt use straight needles it says 4mm circs is that stand for circular or some brand? my last project was a pillow case cover and had 100 stiches but I only did it for 28 inches lol , how do you wash this? sorry so many questions im still learning Smiley

Yes, I used circular needles, but I did that for two reasons: first, coming from a crochet background I find using shorter needles easier, and second, I was planning on working on this on my commute in the beginning and I was worried about dropping a needle on the subway.

As for washing, it's acrylic. I'd just throw it in the washer and dryer, though not too long in the dryer (it won't need it anyway)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012 06:31:28 AM »

I also wove in my ends every feet or so...the thought of doing them all at one time would mean it would be a WIP forever! Cheesy

The width is a bit daunting as well...11 inches is a very wide scarf, so on me, it folds in half...I know it is nuts, but I was thinking of making a mini one about six inches wide and 7 feet long--just cutting all the rows in half but using the same color pattern! Cheesy

I will see if I have any yarn left!  Oh--and I could not find the wine color in Vanna White so I used something else Lion Brand...wool ease, maybe...the color matched perfectly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012 10:18:21 AM »

I know it is nuts, but I was thinking of making a mini one about six inches wide and 7 feet long--just cutting all the rows in half but using the same color pattern! Cheesy

That sounds great; I'll bet it'd look good. Although you don't usually hear the words "mini" and "7 feet long" together.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012 10:22:36 AM »

so true!  but after working on a 14 foot scarf, they are all going to be "mini" to me! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
Jillalea
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013 12:46:20 PM »

So, I've been looking around for a Fourth Doctor scarf for my fiancee and I found the one you linked to.  I'm confused with the pattern and hoping you can help me.  On the picture part, it says 3 rows for the purple yarn but it also says "garter rib (2 rows each)".  Does that mean I'm actually doing 6 rows total?

~B
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013 01:12:27 PM »

It seems they've changed the site since I made this, so I'm not sure.  However, what I can tell you is that every stripe has an even number of rows, so if the pattern you're following has an odd number, my best guess is that it means 3 ridges, which would be 6 rows of garter stitch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013 01:49:23 PM »

The scarf always ends on the same side so you can attach new colors...I will never forget the 56 rows of olive that had to be knitted...Cheesy

Here is the pattern I used...

http://wittylittleknitter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Vannas-Choice-Season-12.png
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
NariCaution
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013 10:26:37 PM »

I'm about 3/4ths done with my first attempt at this scarf and I'm using the pattern off of doctorwhoscarf.com since they have the original pattern in inches as well as lines. I wound up setting the "inches" pattern as the background of my phone since I've been looking at it so much and keep my tape measure key chain on hand. When looking for yarn, I wound up getting the red and yellow in Vanna's choice but the other colors I got from Hobby Lobby's "I love this yarn". I'm pretty sure I got all the colors about perfectly except for the grey which could be bluer and the purple which is a tad lighter at the request of my boyfriend. Since it's going to be his scarf, I figured whatever makes him happy will work and he chose the lighter of the two dark purples they had. Hopefully mine turns out nicely, however I've neglected to change colors after so many stitches into the row... I didn't even notice that but being about 7'-8' into the scarf, I guess there's no turning back now. Now I'm feeling a bit more motivated to finish this last 1/4th!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013 07:50:59 AM »

Sounds like you made some good choices in changing the colors!

I am seriously thinking of what I can do with my scarf since I know I will not be wearing it...hubby thinks I should cut it  and make a small blanket--well, it would be about 45x60 if I cut it into three sections... Cheesy  I have some spare yarn that I could crochet a border around and to join them...what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013 07:51:32 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2013 08:57:40 AM »

Sounds like it could work, alwaysinmyroom.

Though, I wasn't sure if I was going to actually wear mine, but I actually have!  It's taking time to get used to it, but when the temperature drops and the bus is late, it's invaluable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
To Frack or Not To Frack: Russell Gold
The Sound by Sarah Alderson
The Science of What Makes Things Funny
This Side of Salvation by Jeri Smith-Ready
The Rise of Jazz Age Manhattan
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...