A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Looking for a good BRAINNNNNNS recipe? Check out our Cooking Board!
Total Members: 308,732
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help!! Problems knitting in the round  (Read 892 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fadedpink
« on: November 11, 2011 06:40:53 AM »

So I've been knitting off and on for pretty much the past 15 years. I crochet mostly, and have never gotten past knitting flat (mostly scarves.) But I decided I wanted to try knitting in the round. Attempting to learn this has brought something to my attention that I didn't think was an issue with knitting flat. So here's my problem.

I cast on using the slip knot method. When knitting flat, I cast on the required number of stitches. For round knitting (and learning purposes) I continue casting on until the stitches go all the way around the circle and aren't stretched out. I put my stitch marker on, and then begin knitting the second row. However, the more stitches I use, the longer the string between stitches becomes. In flat knitting, I always fixed this by adjusting it with the tail at the end of the second row. I don't know how to fix this when knitting in the round. By the time I finish the second row, the amount of yarn hanging between stitches can range anywhere from 4 to 6 inches. What am I doing wrong?!?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011 08:41:42 AM »

It sounds like you use the backward loop CO which is okay for a smaller number of sts but is too loose and loopy for a larger number of sts. Try a knit or cable cast on instead, or even the Longtail CO. They've got a sturdier edge and you won't get the extra yarn between sts that the loop CO does. Here's a link to cast on videos - http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/cast-on
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
fadedpink
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011 08:38:05 PM »

Thank you so much!!!! That made all the difference!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftsInSeattle
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011 11:20:18 PM »

I mostly use the long tail c/o or the cable cast on (you have to be careful with that because when knitting in the round with that one you have to slip the stitch on the right needle to the left and k2tog so that helps close the gap where you joined the circle, so there for you've gotta cast on one extra stitch that the pile of flesh calls for)
I learned with the slip st. c/o method but it's so hard for me to work with cause working the first row is always so tight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dissatisfaction as a Defining Quality of Great Designers
Maya Romanoff Receives a Lifetime Achievement Award
Visit the Cincinnati Contemporary Arts Center
Grange Insurance Audubon Center: Interior
Case Study: Grange Insurance Audubon Center
Latest Blog Articles
I Am Zombie Homer
Beware! Zombunnies!
April 1, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...