A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,801
Currently Running With Scissors:
596 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chenille Short Cuts?  (Read 551 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BearyPerky

Just call me Rizzo

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2005 03:31:47 PM »

please accept my apologies if this question does not belong under clothing; i thought it was the best fit since it is a sewing question...

so, yesterday i was at wal-mart when i discovered a product called "Chenille SHort cuts" by june taylor (on clearance for $3 for 216 linear inches) claiming to be the "quick way to create chenille. just cut, sew and fluff" .... the idea of the product is that you can make designs out of chenille; i want to add this chenille to the chenille fabric that is striped in order to re-create vintage chenille blankets (think white background with pretty flowers, all in chenille. very cute and very soft)

-- the product is a 2.5" x 36" strip of "chenille waiting to happen" that is three pieces of 100% cotton.  let me clarify the shape:: it is a rectangle with 5 long straight stitches that one is to cut between in order to create the strips of "chenille"   does that make sense?
-- one is to sew their strip into the desired shape (directly onto the other fabric) then mist with water and fluff with a tiny brush (instead of buying the brush they reccomend i am going to use an old toothbrush) to create the "chenille"

what i am wondering is this:  was i completely ripped off because this is something any craftster can make by just sewing together three sheets of 100%cotton fabric? and making her own strips?
has anyone heard of a product like this before?  if anyone has used it or something like it, please let me know what you think of the product!

thanks so much
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She looks too pure to be pink!
LRS
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005 07:13:34 PM »

It's a pretty good product.  I've made chenille from scratch.  It's fun.  But it's a lot of work, uses a lot of fabric, and it's tough to put it exactly where you want it.  One advantage of DIY is that you can build your own color. 

I use chenille by the yard for spot embellishment.  I make my own when I want a wide stretch of chenille - maybe the front of a pillow or a good size pocket. 

So my opinoin is that you were not ripped off.

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy. com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.co m
BearyPerky

Just call me Rizzo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005 06:08:20 PM »

thanks! i really appreciate the feedback!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She looks too pure to be pink!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dress Up for a Date
How to Perform an At-Home Facial
How to Create a Runway-Inspired Blue-Black Eye Makeup Look
How to Create the Brown Eye Makeup Look
How to Create a Purple Smokey Eye
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...