A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,090
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old Clothes Patchwork Quilt  (Read 4828 times)
Tags for this thread: patchwork , recycled_clothes  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LilMissRedTShirt
« on: November 08, 2011 09:07:29 PM »

During one college break, I wanted to try to learn to sew.  Fabric is kind of expensive, so I didn't want to go buy a bunch of fabric just to practice sewing on. I decided to clean out my closet and make a quilt in one go, using some raggedy old clothes for the quilt. I used an old blanket as the backing and border. I just cut out squares of old shirts, sewed them together in a patchwork pattern, then sewed that to the old blanket. It's pretty soft with all the raggedy, worn out old clothes and the fluffy store-bought blanket. I didn't quite get the edges even where I sewed the patchwork squares to the blanket, but, overall, I like it. It matches better than most of my sewing projects, didn't take too long, and the thing is sewed straighter than most of what I make (I can't sew straight for nothing). It has some old stuff in it, too: a burgundy plaid shirt I wore in my high school senior portraits, old green cargo pants from 11th grade, pajama pants from my freshman year of college, and random old stuff. It's a good free project if you have some old worn out clothes and want an easy, quick sewing project.

Details/a few pics:  http://www.lilmissredtshirt.com/2011/11/patchwork-quilt-from-old-clothes.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

r.forslund
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011 04:15:07 AM »

i love these kinds of quilts. im saving my kids clothes to make them one. yours turned out lovely. i used my favorite sheet for the back of my first quilt as well.  Grin cheaper and easier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LilMissRedTShirt
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011 09:20:23 PM »

i love these kinds of quilts. im saving my kids clothes to make them one. yours turned out lovely. i used my favorite sheet for the back of my first quilt as well.  Grin cheaper and easier.

Thanks! Old clothes quilts really are fun. Kids clothes would be really cute... I love ones where some whole outfits are sewn on and mixed in with patchwork clothes squares. I've never met another bedsheet 'quilter'- heh, it really is cheaper. And, the blankets do turn out nice and drapey with sheets... especially soft old sheets. Flannel would be dreamy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eclecticlyfe
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012 05:29:21 PM »

You totally just  brought back so many memories. I made one of these when I was 13-sheet back and all. I'm in my 40's now- many quilts later. I still have that old thing. It is mostly falling apart but I keep saying I'm going to patch it up 'cause it's the best, most comfortable, memory filled blanket/quilt I ever made.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To become learned, each day add something. To become enlightened, each day drop something."  Lao Tzu
katje

trancending the tempest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012 07:49:50 AM »

I love the colors! Thanks for linking to your blog, too - great stuff there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
croonqueen
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012 12:04:48 PM »

This is great.  It really holds true to the tradition of American quilting.  In this day and age when we can just pop over to Target and pick up a nice fleece blanket for not a lot of money, it's hard to remember sometimes that quilting began because people were really freaking COLD and they needed blankets to keep warm at night. When clothes finally wore out, they were cut up and put in a scrap bin and when there were enough scraps, they were sewn together in a whole cloth and layered with other cloth for insulation.  The artistry was secondary, but a natural progression.

I loves me a practical, yet beautiful craft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlondGirl
Queen of the Uncompleted Project

workworkPLAYworkworkworkworkwork

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012 12:18:23 AM »

I agree.  This is outstanding.  And perfect. One of my first projects was a collection of scrap fabrics and clothes that had been worn out or ruined.  I use that one almost every day and I love to ponder over the "adventures" each of those fabrics had from my scrubs to part of my son's snugli to my sister's granddaughter's pants.  It is a collection of history of ME!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Here's my stuff:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=194777.0

Are you making a selvage quilt?  I have some to share. PM me.
LilMissRedTShirt
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012 12:27:27 AM »

You totally just  brought back so many memories. I made one of these when I was 13-sheet back and all. I'm in my 40's now- many quilts later. I still have that old thing. It is mostly falling apart but I keep saying I'm going to patch it up 'cause it's the best, most comfortable, memory filled blanket/quilt I ever made.

How neat. My first/other one had a sheet back too. I would love to see yours. Smiley So cool that you still have it after many years. I bet it is very cozy, and brings back many memories for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LilMissRedTShirt
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012 12:29:58 AM »

This is great.  It really holds true to the tradition of American quilting.  In this day and age when we can just pop over to Target and pick up a nice fleece blanket for not a lot of money, it's hard to remember sometimes that quilting began because people were really freaking COLD and they needed blankets to keep warm at night.

So true. My great-great grandma made a quilt of old scrap fabric she had for this very reason. I don't have relatives today who quilt... it seems like it's increasingly rare. Growing up only one of my friend's moms even sewed anything regularly.

I told my grandpa I was making a quilt. He asked "why." I kind of ask myself why sometimes too... blankets are cheap these days. But, I wanted to try to learn to sew and to have some mementos from college, so I sewed these. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LilMissRedTShirt
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012 12:31:33 AM »

I agree.  This is outstanding.  And perfect. One of my first projects was a collection of scrap fabrics and clothes that had been worn out or ruined.  I use that one almost every day and I love to ponder over the "adventures" each of those fabrics had from my scrubs to part of my son's snugli to my sister's granddaughter's pants.  It is a collection of history of ME!

Aw, thanks. Smiley Kind of you to say. That's neat that you made one from clothes from a variety of people you care about. That must be one memorable blanket for you. I'd love to see yours too. "Collection of the history of me.." ... great way to put it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Child of Vengeance by David Kirk
Poor Little Bitch Girl by Jackie Collins
Goddess of Vengeance by Jackie Collins
Married Lovers by Jackie Collins
James Bunting Performs His Poem "Cathy"
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...