A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,741
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Doctor and a Dalek have infiltrated Disneyland!  (Read 8734 times)
Tags for this thread: doctor_who , dalek , costume , craft_challenge_68_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SpookyPooky
~Where monsters and Wonderland come to life~

I myself am, strange and unusual.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 08, 2011 07:28:11 PM »

So, after seeing all the amazing costumes on this challenge, I don't even know why I am entering! But I am posting my Halloween costumes so I may as well put them here anyway, right?  Smiley

So anyway...

Wooooooooo-eeeeeeeeeeee-ooooooooooohh!
The Doctor and Dalek visited Disneyland!

This is my husband. I made him be the Doctor because I am in love with them both, very deeply. lol.

My name is Alexz. I was a Dalek. So my name for the night was Dalexz.

My husband and I had been working our butts off all year to go to Disneyland in October. For me, it has been a life-long dream to see the park at Halloween time since it is my favorite Holiday ever, I am obsessed with Disney, and I am obsessed with Tim Burton. I have yearned to see the Haunted Mansion Holiday with the Nightmare Before Christmas takeover for YEARS and then I had to see the Burton Exhibit. Through lots of hard work and saving and eating peanut butter sandwiches for months, we made it! Since we worked so hard, we decided we need to do it big, and pay the extra money for the Halloween Trick or Treat party. Aaaannnnddd then we decided we need to dress up. You have to dress up at a Disneyland Halloween Party!

I had very little time to put costumes together because I was working up until the day before we left. Kevin's costume was easy- I found the jacket at Goodwill for 2 bucks, I already owned the Sonic Screwdriver, and he had the white shirt and red tie and has awesome hair for the part. lol. We couldn't find blue pants, so he just wore black pants and his black converse, but we do plan to get him a full suit to do this again. The glasses are the dollar ones from Target. We just busted out the lenses.

For my costume, I had to do a little more work, but not much. It was really simple! Basically, I made an apron to go over a dress.

I bought a blue dress at Ross for 12 bucks. When I brought it home, I realized I really loved it and would wear it to parties and such alone if I could. So instead of sewing things onto the dress I just made a very single silver sash. Just one panel folded and sewed then turned inside out. Easy! Then I bought a roll of tulle like stuff from the wedding supplies at Joann's. I cut out five panels of the same thing, sewed hems on every end, then sewed the panels onto the sash all side be side. I put them all in the middle to leave tying room for the sash.

After that, with the help of Positori and her AMAZING Dalek Dress as inspiration, I bought clear ornaments from Joanns. The only difference I did that I have seen from other posts is that instead of spray painting the outside of the balls with a few coats and sealants for shine and protection, I just sprayed the inside of the balls with silver paint. It worked great! It made them protected from scratching, and left them shiny still. I traced the spheres onto tagboard, cut them out and then used Seal All to glue the rims to the tagboard. Then I used hot glue and Seal All to glue them onto the tulle. Not one came loose so it worked great!

The costumes were a huge hit in the park! We had people taking pictures with us and we even met a few other Doctor's and a Tardis Girl. And the Dalek met her hero, Jack Skellington! Cheesy

(We were discussing the scientific nature of a Dalek. Seriously! We were!

Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: November 08, 2011 07:33:30 PM by SpookyPooky » THIS ROCKS   Logged

amydice
Tutorial Contributor

Amy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011 07:41:25 PM »

For real, you're my hero. Smiley
I LOVE my self some Doctor Who, I LOVE myself some Daleks and I TOTALLY LOVE myself some SpookyPooky! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always up for a personal swap!
Looking to swap for anything Doctor Who or a mug rug!

Blog: http://craftingmachine.blogspot.com/
Wist: http://www.wists.com/AmyLutter
Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AmyLDice
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mad-Crafter/124912220860742
SpookyPooky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011 07:51:54 PM »

lol! Thank you! I love myself some amydice for getting me hooked on Doctor Who and just being awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Juliana13

smile! it makes people wonder what you're up to

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011 06:14:50 AM »

AWESOME!! You make me want to go back to Disney for Halloween! Love your Dalek and you picked the right Dr. for the job! lol Now you should save up for comiccon or fanexpo and wear your costumes there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you made it, I'll love it!
I'll swap ya for it Smiley
check out my wists www.wists.com/Juliana13
I'm on Pinterest too! use it more than wists.
knittychick
My cuddliest craft ever was completed April 22, 2010. Little man Micah Nolan! He's a happy little monkey!

I'm so crafty I make people!

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011 10:52:15 AM »

I love these costumes! You really did a great job! Who ever though a Dalek would be so cute! I was Tom Baker for halloween, the 4th Doctor, but it was nowhere near as epic as your costumes! Job well done! And Kuudos to your hubby for dressing up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist: http://www.wists.com/knittychick

New Baby & Pregnant Moma Swap:

Doctor Who Round 3: crafting
SpookyPooky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011 11:51:35 AM »

AWESOME!! You make me want to go back to Disney for Halloween! Love your Dalek and you picked the right Dr. for the job! lol Now you should save up for comiccon or fanexpo and wear your costumes there!

Thanks so much! We actually decided that ComicCon is what we want to save up for, for our next big trip! I am going to find him a full suit and red converse and go all out.  Cheesy

I love these costumes! You really did a great job! Who ever though a Dalek would be so cute! I was Tom Baker for halloween, the 4th Doctor, but it was nowhere near as epic as your costumes! Job well done! And Kuudos to your hubby for dressing up!

Haha, thanks Elizabeth! I wanna see pictures of you as the fourth!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Juliana13

smile! it makes people wonder what you're up to

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011 06:05:40 AM »

Word of Warning!!! People will want to stop you ALL THE TIME to take you picture! You will have a blast and meat loads of other dr.who fans, but you might not see much of anything else. I went to Fanexpo in Toronto this summer as a Weeping Angel and all I saw was camera after camera!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you made it, I'll love it!
I'll swap ya for it Smiley
check out my wists www.wists.com/Juliana13
I'm on Pinterest too! use it more than wists.
Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011 06:08:02 AM »

Awww Pooky, you look adorable!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
SpookyPooky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011 01:34:58 PM »

Word of Warning!!! People will want to stop you ALL THE TIME to take you picture! You will have a blast and meat loads of other dr.who fans, but you might not see much of anything else. I went to Fanexpo in Toronto this summer as a Weeping Angel and all I saw was camera after camera!

haha, I can't even imagine how many pictures get taken since we got stopped a million times for them just at Disneyland!

Awww Pooky, you look adorable!!!

Aw, thank you so much Jennie! Expect a Doctor of your own VERY SOON!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011 06:31:52 PM »

I really *REALLY* have to finish your tote bag.  I have all the supplies sitting here on my desk!  Your Snitch locket and Companion bracelet are already boxed up and wrapped.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Spring Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Azure Antoinette Shares a Poem at the IdeaFestival
Devil’s Wake Book Trailer
"All In Good Time": A Poem Read by Jason Sklar
Allison Leotta on Her Latest Thriller Discretion
Lovecraft: Fear of the Unknown
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...