A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,328
Currently Running With Scissors:
459 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Favorite (beanie style?) hat pattern for handspun?  (Read 519 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« on: November 07, 2011 05:02:54 PM »

I'm trying to find some good basic hat patterns to use with all my handspun! I'm really leaning toward a beanie style, especially since I don't have a lot of any one yarn.  Do you have a favorite basic hat pattern that would be good to show off the yarn?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sadie862
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011 08:15:38 AM »

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013 03:34:46 PM by Sadie862 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mossie
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011 04:55:31 PM »

A beanie style hat was what I did with my first batch of homespun.  I'm not much for patterns, but this is the basic idea of what I did. 

Using double pointed needles, cast on enough stitches to make it around your head and be a multiple of 16*.  Knit in a double rib** until the hat is as tall as you want it to be, for me this was the length from the dangly part of my ear where earrings go to the top of my head.  Purl your purl stitches together for a round and then K2P1 for a round.  K1, K2tog for a round, and then knit a round.

Binding off is the weird part.  I made an X shaped seam on the top because I liked the shape it gave the hat.  To do that, divide the stitches into four equal parts and place your stitches on four scrap pieces of yarn.  Now, none of your stitches should be on the needles.  Turn your hat inside out.

From this point you'll be making your X by doing a three needle bind off with two groups of stitches at a time.  Use the group that has your last knitted stitch and the group opposite of it.  The best way I can think of to describe how I did the bind off is to have you imagine looking down at the top of your hat with the two working groups on on the left and the right and the other two groups on the top and the bottom.  Divide the stitches in the two working groups in half and place the halves that are closest to you on one needle and the halves that are farthest from you on the other needle.  Use the tail to do a three needle bind off.

Do the same sort of bind off with the other set of stitches and a piece of scrap yarn.

*I used 64 stitches on, I think, size ten needles.  If using a multiple of 16 gives you a wildly odd sized hat with your yarn and you're comfortable fudging things with the bind off by having halves that are, technically, not halves, it isn't a big deal.  Having a multiple of four stitches is a must though for the double ribbing.

**I didn't actually do double ribbing.  I did a little cable twist every other rib every four rows.  For that, you would need a multiple of 8***.

***Aren't powers of two fun?  I had to use a multiple of 16 because my number of stitches was first cut in half by all of the decreases and then in fourths for the different groups, and then in half again for the subgroups.  I teach math and I have a few students who lament having to learn exponents, so I think it's kind of cool to have practical purposes for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Moist Banana Bread
How to Make Sauerkraut
How to Make a Breakfast Casserole
How to Make Seared Ahi Tuna
How to Make Chicken Wings
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...