A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
719 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my first ear flap hat!  (Read 700 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elmom
« on: November 06, 2011 02:04:01 PM »

it's blurry b/c my son took the pic with his phone for me ... but i successfully learned how to do earflaps! (from youtube i think it was "knit pink or "verypink"") I have lots of problems with gauge and adapting patterns to what i have in my stash.. so any advice re; that is appreciated. also, if anyone has a good adult size ear flap hat pattern that they can post/share; that might help me out...meanwhile; i'm going to give this to the 4 month old next door and tell him to start growing  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PenguinSoup
Tutorial Contributor

Reject only your ignorance, and you may survive.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011 05:20:11 PM »

Cute! http://www.ravelry.com has a bunch of patterns. its of free and some to buy. I'm sure you should find some earflap patterns on there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tasana
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011 04:03:56 AM »

Cute! this is my favorite ear flap hat pattern.
If you like using circ's and dpn's you can substitute.

http://photokat22.blogspot.com/2009/11/kats-two-sticks-ear-flap-ski-hat.html

she has variations for ears and other stuff on her blog. I've made more than a dozen of these hats and are fun and fast, easy to make!

You did a great job on your hat. I was curious. Did you do the ear flaps first? Or make the hat and then attach the ear flaps? I am working right now on a hat pattern where you make the hat first and then the flaps, which seems really tough.

With the above links, you make the flaps first and then make the hat. if you have any questions about how to make it, private message me. I'd be happy to help!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011 04:04:46 AM by tasana » THIS ROCKS   Logged
elmom
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011 06:33:37 AM »

thanks for your comments! i've already started an adult sized flap hat --my 19 yo daughter requested it   Grin

i make the flaps first, on double pointed needles, (you'll need 3 needles to knit, 2 to leave the flaps on) i just leave a tail, and then end teh flaps. then after you cast on a bit on circular needles, knit in teh first flap, then cast on more, then knit in teh second flap. you have to be careful, which side is knit and which is perl...on my first try, the hat was garter and the flap was stockinette. now i find if you position teh flap so that teh stockinette side is "inwards" as you knit it onto the circular, it will turn out OK (eg on circular, the stockinette side is inside...)

thanks for the pattern link!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Caramel Filled Chocolate Easter Cupcake Recipe
Passover Macaroons Recipe
Creme Egg Brownie Recipe
Anzac Biscuit Recipe
How to Make a Banana Cake with Coconut Gelato and Peanut Brittle
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...