A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,536
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 40s retro swimsuit from stretch pants  (Read 1967 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rabbithorns
Rabbithorns

Love the bunnies

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2011 09:22:39 PM »

My MIL gave me a pair of yellow gingham stretch pants from the 90s. I wanted to make a swimsuit to cover my baby-having bag and stretch marks so I made this suit. Not a great picture. I look like I peed in them but I was just wet from sitting by the pool. And I need to insert a t-shirt fabric panty liner and you can see I'm wearing underwear right now. And I want to embellish them with embroidered cherries. No more apologies...on to the show -

Oh yes, and it's completely handstitched since I don't have a sewing machine right now.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011 10:20:45 PM by rabbithorns » THIS ROCKS   Logged

livin and lovin a bloke in Oz
elderflower
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011 01:38:46 AM »

I love it.  You did a great job. It has turned into a lovely sun/swim suit and I am impressed that you hand stitched it all.  Did you have a pattern for the top and how is it fastened at the back?  I think cherries will look very pretty and I hope you will edit the post to show them too when they are done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melby
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011 02:19:43 AM »

Aww it might not be "finished" yet but it looks really great! The embellishments will only serve to make it even cuter! You should update after you've added the rest! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ClouDesign

wanna-be fashion designer ; )

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011 02:41:30 AM »

I' so impressed that it's sewed by hand :O ! With cherries it will gain the super-retro look ! LOVE IT !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.cdfashion.blogspot.com
crafting, sewing, subjective about fashion and...
rabbithorns
Rabbithorns

Love the bunnies

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011 03:20:08 AM »

I didn't have a pattern. I just cut the pants into shorts. It has a side zipper and button already. Then I used the rest of the legs for the top. I used the front picture of a pattern at sovintagepatterns.com (the Glam 1940s Bathing Suit pattern http://www.sovintagepatterns.com/catalog/item/2871951/8807586.htm).

That gave me the basic idea for the top. Each cup and strap that goes to the back is the front of one leg of the pants. The strap that borders the bottom of the halter is one leg back. But I ran out of fabric to border the entire top and go around the neck from one end to the other. I did it on the bottom edge of the halter, just not the top. The halter strap is a smaller piece that goes from the top of each cup around the neck.

Then I had trouble with the cups. They totally flatten my already A-sized breasts. I tried to put some extra darts in, but I'm going to get an old bra and insert cups. Since it's stretchy fabric, it ought to mold around it. I hope.

The back closes with a bra closure I bought at a fabric store. I was going to repurpose an old bra, but I've just moved to Australia in the last few months and still don't drive here (wrong side of the road!) and new hubby and I happened to pass a craft store this weekend so I bought the fixture new so I could finish the suit enough to try it.

The point was - other than I love 40s clothing - to cover my stretch marks. I don't have money for a new suit and all I can find are one piece suits that show too much bottom (mine anyway) or bikini bottoms with nice tops like babydolls, but those float up and you can see my baby pouch and stretch marks.

Thanks for the nice words. It looks much nicer in person and the gingham print doesn't really show up here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

livin and lovin a bloke in Oz
cankle

I'm a piece of work.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011 06:42:12 AM »

Great job! I hope you post when you add the cherries, awesome idea. And you definitely don't look as if you just had a baby. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TeenageRebelOfTheWeek
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011 07:34:51 AM »

You are one crafty so-and-so : never in a million years would I think to make something like this!! Cheesy! It's awesome! I love 40's fashion, too - deffo made for the ladyshape Smiley Next time I find a pair of stretchy trousers like that, I am so going to try making a bathing suit Cheesy -x-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

That's all there is and there ain't no more....
I craft, therefore I am.

My band: www.lechatnoir.org.uk
My work: www.outerlimitz.net
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rustic Floral Arrangements for Easter
DIY Colorful Foiled Eggs for Easter
How to Make Decoupage Eggs
How to Make a Mini Easter Basket
How to Make Decoupage Easter Eggs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...