A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,502
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Colorful Childhood Patchwork Quilt  (Read 2268 times)
Tags for this thread: patchwork , quilt  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LilMissRedTShirt
« on: November 04, 2011 08:25:26 PM »

I came across an old colorful childhood quilt I made in 4th or 5th grade. For some reason, I chose to use felt squares. I mean, who wouldn't want to cuddly up with a (un)cozy felt quilt? At one point, I used it as a nightstand tablecloth in high school so it got a bit worn and stained. When I found this felt quilt a few years ago, I decided to finish it. I cut the good patches out, and sewed it on pink and black polka dot cotton fabric. It only took an hour or two to finish it out, and now it's a bit more useable than when it was just plain felt squares. Even that isn't a real "quilt" since it's not quilted, but I still call them quilts. It's obscenely colorful.

Ok, I probably should be too embarrassed to post this "quilt" (blanket?) anywhere, let alone on a quilting forum. If I ever learn how to sew, I'll probably giggle at this one. But, it was a fun project to finish off. In elementary school, I made this "quilt" (well, I thought it was one at the time) out of felt squares. I found the old thing a few years ago and decided to finish it off by cutting out squares of the 'good' parts and sewing them onto real fabric. I was pretty excited to find an old project I made so long ago.. it's been a while since 4th grade. Ha! Anyway, I didn't have a sewing machine at the time, so it's all done by hand. It was one of the first things I tried sewing in college. I know it's not particularly cute, and it's definitely not well made, but I like seeing what other newbies/non-sewer make, so.. here it is.

Did you make any quilts as a kid? What was your first sewing project? I'd love to see it.

More Pics: http://lilmissredtshirt.blogspot.com/2011/11/colorful-childhood-patchwork-quilt.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmyLynn98
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011 08:30:03 PM »

Oh hell no, THAT IS A QUILT. I love the fact that you added to it, after all these years.

I've only made one quilt myself, squares and rectangles cut from a variety of fabrics, lined with a cotton sheet, batting in between, and edged with some kind of black silky satiny edging stuff. It's big enough to lay over the top of a queen sized bed and I actually keep it on the futon in my crafting room. It's totally not a great quilt and I'll never make another one, but I do love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot.com/
LilMissRedTShirt
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011 08:33:38 PM »

Heh, thanks!

I use old sheets for my backing fabric too. Smiley Glad I'm not the only one. I bet your old quilt looks cool... I love patchwork quilts, and since you cut out different fabrics, yours probably has a lot of cool memories with it too. I'm always impressed when anyone can sew a straight patchwork quilt. I just can't. sew. straight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011 06:17:32 AM »

Love it!  I'll bet that back in 4th grade, you thought you were so awesome for making a quilt all by yourself.  Hey, it's a big project!  And there's nothing more satisfying than taking something like that and making it new again. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taramor
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011 06:21:13 AM »

It is lovely and colorfull - a great memory. You must have loved crafting, to do such a big work - your dedication and hard work are some thing to be proud of. Some years ago I threw away some cross stitchings I made as a young teenager. The colors were way to crass, and the motifs rather non-individualistic  Roll Eyes. Still, I regret throwing them away - maybee I could have made something funny with them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astamour
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011 09:10:00 AM »

What a great way to re-design a piece of craft! 
It is totally a quilt, and an adorable one at that!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm pro-accordion, and I vote!
LilMissRedTShirt
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011 11:19:10 AM »

Love it!  I'll bet that back in 4th grade, you thought you were so awesome for making a quilt all by yourself.  Hey, it's a big project!  And there's nothing more satisfying than taking something like that and making it new again. 

Thanks! I totally felt awesome in 4th grade. Ha. I guess I saw a quilt at an antique store or saw an family heirloom somewhere, and decided to make something "important." I always had craft felt around for projects, not usually normal fabric, so I guess that's how I used it. It really was satisfying to finally make the thing useful. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LilMissRedTShirt
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011 11:19:47 AM »

What a great way to re-design a piece of craft! 
It is totally a quilt, and an adorable one at that!

Thanks for the kind comment! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LilMissRedTShirt
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011 11:23:12 AM »

It is lovely and colorfull - a great memory. You must have loved crafting, to do such a big work - your dedication and hard work are some thing to be proud of. Some years ago I threw away some cross stitchings I made as a young teenager. The colors were way to crass, and the motifs rather non-individualistic  Roll Eyes. Still, I regret throwing them away - maybee I could have made something funny with them.

Aw, thank you too. I did love crafting as a kid. I was always making something, cutting something up, making yet another bead necklace. For years I quit, but I'm trying to get back into making things. Usually crafts/sewing frustrate me because they don't turn out how I like, but I'm trying to just enjoy the fun of making things. So nice of you to say it's hard work to be proud of from then. Smiley That's really too bad you threw out the cross stitching. It's funny how some of the smaller things in life become so much more meaningful later on... like felt quilts or cross stitching. I guess you cross stitching now is a good way to carry on your creativity from then, even if you don't have the old projects. I've never been able to figure out cross stitching... or, at least, never had the patience to give it any effort.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mommai
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011 04:41:52 PM »

I LOVE it! And the fact that you upgraded it when you were older! That's one of the ways I can tell I really LOVE sewing (and don't love some other crafts), because I get really attached to the stuff I make that doesn't turn out so well. I've got some sad little attempts at stuffies (like I can't finish flipping them inside out because they're too skinny, etc) sitting around in my fabric stash just to make me happy Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to an Create Expression - Shake 4.1
How to Use the 3D Keyer - Shake 4.1
How to Create Textures - Motion 3
How to Use Masks - Motion 3
How to Create a Sin City Effect - Final Cut Pro 6
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...