A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
680 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How can I create a design from a picture?  (Read 2443 times)
Tags for this thread: gears_of_war , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

atmomma
« on: November 04, 2011 01:51:28 PM »

While I have been sewing for years now, I've only just caught the quilting bug. I would really like to make a quilt for my husband that has the logo from his favorite video game, Gears of War, much like the Super Mario Bros./PacMan quilts I've seen. I have found a picture of the main logo that I want to use but am unsure as to how to pixelate it to create the quilt top. I do have PCStitch on my computer and have imported the picture there and created a cross stitch pattern for it. The problem is now size. If I've done all the math right, my individual squares would need to be 1.5"x1.5" for a quilt a little less than 9'x9', and there would be close to 5000 squares!!! I just don't think I have it in me. I would really like to use bigger squares but then I will have a ridiculously huge quilt, and all I really want is a throw for the couch.
How does a person recreate an image without going way overboard on size?
Here is the picture I plan to use. This is not my favorite game in the whole world but the man loves it.

Thank you so very much in advance for any help you can give!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leopardstripes

The other one has bells on it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011 03:12:45 PM »

I don't know that this is exactly what you're looking for, but I have a couple of suggestions, both of which would mean doing piecing, but would give you perfect copies of the image for, say, every other square or something. One would be to do freezer paper stencils, do a bleach treatment with the stencils on black cotton, and then dye the fabric with a batch of red dye. The other suggestion is to use the technique here: http://www.infarrantlycreative.net/2010/03/custom-bean-bags.html to do a print on a bunch of fabric, although that has some flaws- I don't think the finished product is very washable, at least not much. Good luck- sounds like a great challenge!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can't seem to stay with one guru long enough to get enlightened." -from the Life and Letters of Tofu Roshi
anaximander
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011 08:48:56 PM »

Here's one that I think would actually be really well suited to applique (note: I suck at applique.) The red is actually really even in tone (there aren't many areas that are markedly brighter than other areas except on a wide basis, so if you found a mottled red fabric (something like this (The red - it's got a really gritty look in person) or this would be good choices. Look at techniques used for raw edge applique, or use a black satin stitch to cover the raw edges. You could use a good quality fabric paint, watered down to make it more dye like, to darken the corners.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011 08:49:29 PM by anaximander » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Artisan82

formerly Crafty.Canadian

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011 11:49:55 AM »

If you have a photobucket account, you can upload the photo, click on the "edit" option, and under the "effects" tab there is a "pixelate" option.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I post all my crafty stuff on Facebook.  I'd LOVE if you'd like my page!
Artisan 82 on Facebook
My baby, my Etsy shop: Artisan 82 on Etsy
atmomma
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011 04:26:56 PM »

Wonderful ideas! Thanks so much! I really never even thought of applique.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011 08:57:42 PM »

I was going to suggest appliqu as well. So I will second... Or third that idea. Smiley
Using a cool mottled red on red or a red batik should help give the hint of fade in the example.   But if he's like my video game dork boy he'll be happy to simply have something representative.  And to keep him warm on those late nights alone on the couch playing Xbox.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
sarabeth
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011 08:25:08 PM »

Dare to be Square Quilting by Boo Davis has a skull quilt pattern which you could do in the colors from the game and have a Gears of War inspired quilt. You could also do a small applique on a 12x12 square in the center and then do red and black skull prints for other blocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FunThreads
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011 06:18:17 PM »

I agree with everyone else. This would do much better as applique.

On another note...I did a Spock design using a cross stitch grid but I didn't recognise the grid one to one. I combined several grid squares to make larger quilt blocks. See what I mean here
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=380376.msg4500000#msg4500000
THIS ROCKS   Logged

atmomma
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011 06:12:32 AM »

I agree with everyone else. This would do much better as applique.

On another note...I did a Spock design using a cross stitch grid but I didn't recognise the grid one to one. I combined several grid squares to make larger quilt blocks. See what I mean here
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=380376.msg4500000#msg4500000

That quilt is amazing!

I think I have figured out how I'm going to accomplish this quilt. I plan on doing the applique and I found the perfect blotchy/mottled red on red fabric for it. Then I will be doing a rail fence pattern for the background with a combination of black and grey. I am itching to do it right now, but I will have to be creative as to how to do this without the hubs seeing me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anaximander
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011 07:43:28 AM »

When I do stuff for husband, mom, or other, I'm kind of a dick about it - I flat out lie. No, z., this isn't for you, it's for Brian. You know how much he loves this game, too. (etc.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Flower
How to Crochet a Bag
How to Crochet a Beanie
How to Crochet a Baby Blanket
How to Crochet a Baby Hat
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...