A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,753
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Carousel horse from a child's toy. ( eight photos)  (Read 12752 times)
Tags for this thread: carousel , horse , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jenxx
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2011 10:26:48 PM »

I've long wanted to accept the challenge of creating a carousel horse from a child's bouncing toy.  When I found one at a flea market, I was "off and running".

After removing the horse from the frame, he was mounted on a closet rod with a recycled patio umbrella stand for the base.  Several coats of white spray paint provided me with a great canvas so I was able to put some of my recently acquired one stroke techniques to good use (along with a few different strokes of my own).  I finished him off with several coats of acrylic spray and tied ribbons and flowers under the finial at the top.    

I bought beaded fringe for the reins but had everything else on hand except for the plastic discs I used to cover the holes left from removing the frame.  (Do they show in the finished horse?)

I've always found that the satisfaction I feel from arts and crafts comes from being able to say "I created it". Therefore, I take a lot of photos of my projects but keep very few of the finished items for myself.  My carousel horse is no exception.  He has found a loving home with a friend who has made him the pride of her carousel collection.  He's no longer mine but I can visit whenever I choose.  

In case anyone wants to try making one of these, I thought I'd let you in on a new idea for a great looking, easy base---thanks to my Hubby.  His floor lamp quit working so he stripped the light & wiring from it, drilled a hole in the side of the pole, & put a bolt thru to act as a "stop".  He slid the horse down over the pole so it rested on the bolt at the proper height.  I used a decorative wooden finial to finish the top of the pole where the light fixture was removed.

I've since found floor lamps at thrift shops for $10 to $15.  Just make sure it's one of the heavier ones.  Some of the light weight ones wouldn''t be sturdy enough.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2012 05:59:57 PM by Jenxx - Reason: Added info » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011 01:16:36 AM »

oooh I have such a crush on him! He reminds me of the theme parks from when we used to go to the Netherlands on vacation, when I was little! So dreamy *swoon* You did a great job! I can't see the discs at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011 04:35:17 AM »

You did an amazing job. He looks just like a carousel horse from a merry go round. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Momof2!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011 04:45:09 AM »

Beautiful! Now I am eyeing my kids bouncy horse  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maimy
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011 02:31:45 PM »

Wow, lovely paintwork, it's so effective! Utterly charming Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maimy x
Etsy | Facebook | Twitter
lunke13
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011 06:29:25 AM »

Amazing! I love this. Great job, love the paintwork. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Green Devil Designs

Follow me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/GreenDevilDesigns

My Etsy Store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/GreenDevilDesigns
margiej
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011 05:04:31 PM »

Absolutely beautiful!  I have some little ceramic horses that look very similar.  I always wondered about recycling a rocking horse, and now I know it works.  Unfortuantely, I have not learned to paint, although I bought the one stroke book, and supplies.  I guess there are decals that would sort of work for the flowers, maybe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too bad I don't hear voices, I would enjoy the company
WWW.PINTEREST.COM/MARGARETCJOY
Jenxx
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011 04:32:04 PM »

I really appreciate all of the nice comments.  Always makes me feel good to know my work is appreciated.  I had seen others made from the bouncing horses but it took a while for me to finally go for it.

I would have tried it even if I hadn't learned any one stroke painting.  If I couldn't draw a design I wanted to paint, I would have used a childs coloring book & traced something on so I could fill them in like a paint-by-number.

I've already found another horse at a flea market & would like to begin again but I spend the winter in FL & the horse is back home in IL so it will have to wait 6 months or so.  Meanwhile, I'ts easy to find projects to keep myself busy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JewelJunkee
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011 04:40:26 PM »

That is stunningly beautiful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FoxyMama
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

So many fabrics, so little time . . .

FoxyMama loves her FoxyBaby!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011 09:06:49 AM »

STUNNING  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In creating, the only hard thing's to begin; A grass-blade's no easier to make than an oak.
James Russell Lowell
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Outside The Box: Spicy Turducken
Check Out The Healthiest Hotel Food
Weight Watchers Swap and Drop on Turkey Day
Holiday Home Cooking With Paula Deen
Turkey Sloppy Joe Recipe with a Twist
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...