A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,751
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Carousel horse from a child's toy. ( eight photos)  (Read 17726 times)
Tags for this thread: carousel , horse , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jenxx
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2011 10:26:48 PM »

I've long wanted to accept the challenge of creating a carousel horse from a child's bouncing toy.  When I found one at a flea market, I was "off and running".

After removing the horse from the frame, he was mounted on a closet rod with a recycled patio umbrella stand for the base.  Several coats of white spray paint provided me with a great canvas so I was able to put some of my recently acquired one stroke techniques to good use (along with a few different strokes of my own).  I finished him off with several coats of acrylic spray and tied ribbons and flowers under the finial at the top.    

I bought beaded fringe for the reins but had everything else on hand except for the plastic discs I used to cover the holes left from removing the frame.  (Do they show in the finished horse?)

I've always found that the satisfaction I feel from arts and crafts comes from being able to say "I created it". Therefore, I take a lot of photos of my projects but keep very few of the finished items for myself.  My carousel horse is no exception.  He has found a loving home with a friend who has made him the pride of her carousel collection.  He's no longer mine but I can visit whenever I choose.  

In case anyone wants to try making one of these, I thought I'd let you in on a new idea for a great looking, easy base---thanks to my Hubby.  His floor lamp quit working so he stripped the light & wiring from it, drilled a hole in the side of the pole, & put a bolt thru to act as a "stop".  He slid the horse down over the pole so it rested on the bolt at the proper height.  I used a decorative wooden finial to finish the top of the pole where the light fixture was removed.

I've since found floor lamps at thrift shops for $10 to $15.  Just make sure it's one of the heavier ones.  Some of the light weight ones wouldn''t be sturdy enough.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2012 05:59:57 PM by Jenxx - Reason: Added info » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011 01:16:36 AM »

oooh I have such a crush on him! He reminds me of the theme parks from when we used to go to the Netherlands on vacation, when I was little! So dreamy *swoon* You did a great job! I can't see the discs at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."

...oh, if it wasn't clear, I'm rarely completely serious. Smiley
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

He says I color his world

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011 04:35:17 AM »

You did an amazing job. He looks just like a carousel horse from a merry go round. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Momof2!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011 04:45:09 AM »

Beautiful! Now I am eyeing my kids bouncy horse  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maimy
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011 02:31:45 PM »

Wow, lovely paintwork, it's so effective! Utterly charming Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Maimy x
Etsy | Facebook | Twitter
lunke13
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011 06:29:25 AM »

Amazing! I love this. Great job, love the paintwork. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Green Devil Designs

Follow me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/GreenDevilDesigns

My Etsy Store:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/GreenDevilDesigns
margiej
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011 05:04:31 PM »

Absolutely beautiful!  I have some little ceramic horses that look very similar.  I always wondered about recycling a rocking horse, and now I know it works.  Unfortuantely, I have not learned to paint, although I bought the one stroke book, and supplies.  I guess there are decals that would sort of work for the flowers, maybe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too bad I don't hear voices, I would enjoy the company
WWW.PINTEREST.COM/MARGARETCJOY
Jenxx
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011 04:32:04 PM »

I really appreciate all of the nice comments.  Always makes me feel good to know my work is appreciated.  I had seen others made from the bouncing horses but it took a while for me to finally go for it.

I would have tried it even if I hadn't learned any one stroke painting.  If I couldn't draw a design I wanted to paint, I would have used a childs coloring book & traced something on so I could fill them in like a paint-by-number.

I've already found another horse at a flea market & would like to begin again but I spend the winter in FL & the horse is back home in IL so it will have to wait 6 months or so.  Meanwhile, I'ts easy to find projects to keep myself busy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JewelJunkee
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011 04:40:26 PM »

That is stunningly beautiful!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FoxyMama
So many fabrics, so little time . . .

FoxyMama loves her FoxyBaby!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011 09:06:49 AM »

STUNNING  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In creating, the only hard thing's to begin; A grass-blade's no easier to make than an oak.
James Russell Lowell
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Variable Stroke Width in Adobe Illustrator CS5
How to Use the Shape Builder Tool in Adobe Illustrator CS5
How to Save Artboards in Adobe Illustrator CS5
Perspective Drawing in Adobe Illustrator CS5
How to Draw Behind and Inside Adobe Illustrator CS5
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Bird Feeder
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...