A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,098
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Weekend Wonder Woman  (Read 2526 times)
Tags for this thread: dc_comics , craft_challenge_68_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MainaCate
Gluing stuff together since 1981

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2011 08:50:39 PM »

I had decided back in August that I was going to be Wonder Woman for Halloween. At first it was just going to be a caped T-shirt I was going to purchase from my job, along with a blue jean skirt. But then, I thought I'd just make my own skirt, which led to dissatisfaction with the t-shirt idea, which led to making my whole dang costume from scratch. It was a lot of trial and error (and burning my tongue by accident while sewing the skirt), a lot of going to JoAnn's (Which earned me the Handmade Hero badge of 4square lol), and a lot LOT of thread.

This is what it looks like head to toe. Unfortunately, I worked all weekend, so this is the only "action shot" I have.

I didn't go for all 150+ stars that Lynda Carter had on her cape, but I did use darn near 50. This was made triangles cut of red, white, and blue sparkle satin, with each seam finished with a rolled seam. I sewed an elastic casing across the neck area of the cape, and then threaded about 4' of elastic through it. I sewed the ends together, and then put it on kind of like a backpack. (please ignore the goofy grin. )

The cape before stars.

This was a last minute addition: when I told my parents what I was dressing up as, my father immediately told me that I WAS NOT allowed to forget the golden lasso. I used about five inches of 1" wide grosgrain ribbon, with a zig zag stitch on the edges. I sewed sequins on with embroidery floss, with French Knots in the center of each. I had used stick-on velcro to stick the two ends together, so I could use my lasso holder to hold other items, such as my car keys and my keys for work. I sewed the back side of the ribbon to the skirt.

purchased some butt-ugly beige shoes from Goodwill for $3.00, and then sewed boot covers out of 4way stretch satin. This is just after cutting out the pattern. I basically used cxcaitlyn's tutorial http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=363668.0, and then modded it to fit my own purposes. I then painted the white stripes on them using Tuilp's Puffy Paint in white.

See, I told you they were ugly.

Okay, so I couldn't find any fabric that suited me for the skirt, so I painted my own. I cut the stars out of freezer paper, and then ironed the paper to the fabric to make a stencil. I painted it with acrylic paint mixed with fabric medium. When I had enough stars done, I used a basic circle skirt pattern with an elastic waistband. The waistband casing was made of some dark gold satin I scored at Goodwill for $0.50. (WIN!)

The top was annoying. I was going to use a corset that laced up the front, and just replace the red ribbon with gold. Perfect plan, right? Wrong. Turns out I have too much up top to be able to comfortably wear the corset in public. So, after a few days of thought, I decided I would use the rest of my awesomely scored gold satin and some Heat'n'Bond and iron on the golden eagle. I tried, and failed. There was no movement after it was ironed on. sad. fortunately, I was able to rip it off the tanktop without too much harm.

So, I decided to trace this onto the shirt, and then paint it. I outlined in red fabric paint, then used Tulip Metallic paint in Gold, and added highlights and lowlights with bronze fabric paint, and Jacquard Lumiere's Pink/gold paint.

Well, I think that's about it! Thank you all for looking!!
~Mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sparkly Sharp Fabulous
Sparkly Sharp and Fabulous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011 04:40:14 AM »

You are kinddaaa my hero for making all of that on your own! That is insane! I absolutely love the skirt for some reason! Too cute! and great job making the boots! You rock Smiley Thanks for sharing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mezcraft
IIIIIII made it myself!!!

I'm a maker. I make stuff.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011 05:22:50 AM »

Great job! This looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MainaCate
Gluing stuff together since 1981

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011 08:00:09 AM »

Thanks, guys! I had tons of fun making it, and even more fun wearing it! Some guy at the mall's trick-or-treating event even wanted to get his picture taken with me!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Corn Chowder
How to Make Deep Fried Beer
How to Make a Grilled Cheese Sandwich with an Iron
How to Make Beef Jerky
How to Make Cajun Red Beans and Rice
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...