A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,700
Currently Running With Scissors:
721 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Momma's 50th Birthday...need ideas!  (Read 1186 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Vanessa Cyanide
You won't like me.

Couture is lame. End of story.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 15, 2005 10:15:01 AM »

Ok, so my mom is turning the big 50 and she keeps hinting that she wants to do something or have a party. I have no idea what to do, i have very little money, so huge parties are out of the question. Dinner is good, but boring. HELP HELP HELP!
Some of her interests are:
stuff that costs way too much (haha, yea i know...great...)
Peter Max
Art
Wine
you get the idea, im sure.
We live in a beach town, there are lots of art galleries in near by cities...help!!!!! i dont know what to do!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cyanidekustoms.bravehost.com
"I dont give a fu*k about punk rock no more" -The Dwarves
I want to give the Devil back the Devils' rock n roll!
Motorcycles and cars made of METAL....nothing gets to a girls heart faster... oh yea-  And crafting stuff that gives off toxic fumes....mmm m
LucyLu
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005 01:31:12 PM »

How many people were you thinking of inviting?  Dinner for a lot of people may be expnsive. 

If its less than 20, you could do an Italian supper-type party. Do you have Microsoft Publisher?  If not, maybe a friend does.  It has a menu and invitation program, so you could make your own.  Make it interesting by using Italian words.  I know that Mangia means Eat in Italian.  There are some websites that translates English words into Italian words.  You could make the main dish (and bread) and ask the guest to bring their fave dessert, salad, or their favorite wine.  That'll help keep cost down. 

For decorations, you could use red-n-white checked tablecloths.  Here are some sites to centerpieces you can make if you are feeling crafty.

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=f00037

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectsheet?pid=f00202

Here is a wine glass candle holder. The shade is blue but you could change the color to fit your theme
http://www.save-on-crafts.com/wincanlamfro.html

Also, you could do something simple like putting candles in terra cotta pots. You could use the small ones and use votive candles. If you want to dress them up you could monogram them with a paint pen.

Another crafty ideayou could put some sand in a wine glass and bury a votive candle in it.  Great mood lighting.

Another idea..maybe you and her and some of her closest friends could go to the art gallery and then have the rest of your guest meet you at your house.  Have everyone bring a bottle of wine and serve only cheese and crackers and such.  Maybe you could have it be a "surprise" .

I hope this helps you.  You know your mom the best so do something that you think she would like.  Ask friends if you can borrow stuff for the party.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LRS
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005 01:40:53 PM »

Talk to a few of her friends - or her sisters.  Ask them for ideas.   Chances are, they'll have some ideas.  But they'll also offer to help by cooking, bringing some wine or beer, or offering their house as a venue. 

I think it's a little tacky to ask people to a party and tell them to bring something.  But if you get them in on the planning, most people will offer.  Especially since they know you don't have a ton of money.

Do you, your sibs, or some friends have musical talents?  My best birthday was when my son's group sang to me. 

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy. com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.co m
elephantcrazy
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005 01:49:09 PM »

well what my mom and her sisters did for my aunts 50th bday is gave her 50 quaters, 50 pennies, 50 dimes, 50 nickels, ect. and my aunt still has it!

oh and for my mom's 50th bday we took her mudbogging Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LucyLu
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005 02:15:17 PM »

LRS your right, it may be tacky to have people bring stuff.  Unless its close family or something.  I was thinking it would be like a BYOB type of shin-dig.  Sorry I could be more of a help.  Anyhoo, let us know what you decide on.  I'm sure it'll be great
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Record Voice - Sony Vegas Pro
How to Make HD Videos - Camtasia Studio 6
How to Make a Watermark - Photoshop
How to Make a Wallpaper in Adobe Fireworks
How to Make A Light Beam
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...