A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A couple new things  (Read 1643 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iloveskirts

You can never have enough fabric!!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2011 05:06:43 PM »

Howdy!

First off, a robe from Kwik Sew Pattern 3587. 

I had the fabric a long time before the pattern.  I saw it and thought - dang, that would be great for a robe!  Then I found a pattern I could use, and here it is.  Because I had less fabric than the pattern said I needed, I had to piece a few things.  The ribbon around the bottom of the robe hides where I pieced the bottom.  I found fabric in my scraps that matched the front pieces so I fit them on; in the back it doesn't match up but by the time the pattern is cut up by the ribbon it really doesn't matter.  The neck binding is also pieced but again it's not really noticeable. 
Note to self - always get an extra half yard more of fabric if you're not sure what you're going to do with it.  You can always use the scraps for quilts.

Next is a skirt I made with the master pattern from the Sew What! Skirts book.  I've used this pattern numerous times.  It's just an A-line skirt but I prefer the gathers instead of making a flat skirt - I'm still really self-conscious about my tummy so the gathers give me a little extra room and help hide the abdominal apron as well.

Skirt

Close up shots of pocket and hem

I used one of the fancy stitches on my Janome QC4800 to dress up the pockets and hem since I thought the skirt by itself was just too plain.

Now all I have to do is find something to coordinate with a dark olive green corduroy skirt other than white.  White and I don't get along so well.  It seems to draw things that stain it - tomato sauce, chili sauce, chocolate, grape juice - you get the idea.

Next on the list is a winter robe.  I got some nice Polartec 300wt. fleece for it in a gorgeous dark burgundy color.  This will beat the cheap Walmart fleece I used for my first one.  That one is now getting threadbare and it has nice little pills all over it.  It was soft for the first few washes but since I wash my robes often due to cat hair and other things a fleece of less than great quality is just going to pill up after a while.  Hopefully my $16 a yard fabric does better for me.

Trisha

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't ask God to bless what you're doing.  Instead, find what He's blessing and do that!
He who calls, equips
He who leads, feeds
He who guides, provides
kaybeeeee
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011 06:06:59 PM »

Very cute! Wish my sewing machine had a fancy stitch like that, it really does add interest to the skirt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Read my BLOG?
Listen to my MUSIC?
iloveskirts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011 01:23:17 PM »

Thanks!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't ask God to bless what you're doing.  Instead, find what He's blessing and do that!
He who calls, equips
He who leads, feeds
He who guides, provides
Melby
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011 01:31:45 PM »

Well you might've added the ribbon for ulterior purposes (lol) but it's actually a really cute touch, looks fab!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KitokoMingi

Gambala na ngai ezali kitoko mingi!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011 11:32:54 AM »

Awesome! They look great!
I love the fabric! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KitokoMingi

"Singh-Lek Design Studios"
ashusood
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012 10:36:51 PM »

if you use some flower designs with white ribbons on grey skirt its seems more beautyful
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iloveskirts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012 06:33:18 PM »

if you use some flower designs with white ribbons on grey skirt its seems more beautyful

That's a good thought, but wouldn't it limit the things I could wear it with?  Also, actually, it's like a dusty olive green color - very difficult to match up except for white [which is a dirt or stain magnet for me] or olive, which is terribly hard to find pre-made.  I do have some fabric to coordinate with it in that big nasy pile in my fabric storage room somewhere....yeah, the one I was going to clean in November that is now 3 times bigger than it was....

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

He who calls, equips
He who leads, feeds
He who guides, provides
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lauren Conrad Joins Us for a Quick Beauty Gossip
How To Get A Defined Nude Lip
How To Make Lipstick Last All Day
Getting Rid Of Puffiness And Circles Under The Eyes
How To Protect And Youthen Your Skin
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...