A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,379
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shipping proof question...  (Read 2608 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Melby
« on: November 02, 2011 03:39:54 PM »

So, this is just a precursory -I'm contemplating & curious because these seem like tons of fun- question, as I've not met the one-month requirement part of the deal yet (plus my sewing machine is inaccessible right now anyhow), but before I could even contemplate joining in [when able], I am really confused about one thing.

I've seen stuff all over about needing detailed shipping confirmation - but... we don't have that here. Or I mean, maybe there is some special way to go about it that I have no idea exists and wouldn't have the slightest clue how to get but, if you just mail a package overseas, the receipt you get for it simply says "Prior INTL" on it. It doesn't say where to, it has no specific information at all on it. Simply "Prior INTL" as the item description, and the price. So... how would that work? Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011 07:50:49 PM »

Me personally I always keep the customs form (you likely have to fill out) as well as th epaid receipt. And I jot down what swap on the top.
 Some days I even take pics of my package on the weigh scale, or being held by my fab good humoured postal worker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011 09:13:57 PM »

To prove that you actually shipped a parcel on the day that you said you did, you should keep the cashier receipt that has the date and shows that you paid for postage.  Many countries also have the destination on the receipt as well but if yours does not you should also keep the custom form in addition to the receipt-most importantly there has to be some piece of paper with a printed or stamped date.  Pictures of your package aren't acceptable as they are only showing that you made something or packaged something and took a picture of it (although the mental picture of your postal worker holding the a package is great sloth003 Cheesy

I live in Canada so pretty much all my swapping is international and I've gotten in the habit of always writing the swap on my receipt as well and keeping all of them pinned to my bulletin board until they are confirmed as received by my partner. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
Melby
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011 03:09:31 AM »

There wasn't any customs form to keep when I just mailed something to the US...? There was the customs declaration thing to fill out - that goes with the package, but, nothing for me to have... The receipt does of course have a date/time stamp on it. And I totally get the reasoning behind these precautions, don't get me wrong! I just, have no idea how to fulfill them!

I mean I could take a pic of this receipt that I have to show you what it's like; I just mailed a small pkg of some spice mixes as a gift to a friend in the US a week ago, so the receipt is still floating around my desk. But it's very nonspecific, just that clearly *something* was mailed *somewhere* [internationally] on X date. I totally get why that could be slightly problematic, as it could be anything to anywhere & anyone, I just have no idea how to fix it.  Undecided As for photos, well, some of the postal workers are very friendly and might not mind, but some of them are kind of scary-mean (lol) and I definitely do not fancy pulling out a camera with them! They'd probably start yelling at me in Dutch and I'd have no idea what they were saying even! hahaha

So, does that mean I'd be out of luck?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011 08:01:51 AM »

I don't get a customs forms either (I'm in the US) but I write down the customs form number and include that number when I PM about sending a package. The swap organizer might not want to see the proof of sending unless the package goes missing (at least that's what it's been for when I've done international packages)

And I totally get what you mean about non-specific receipts - I had one (domestic) swap that was small enough that it didn't need a DC, and the only 'proof' of sending I had was a receipt showing I bought 2 stamps!  Grin
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011 08:03:49 AM by ThreadOrYarn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011 01:57:09 PM »

I think the most important thing is to have a dated receipt even if it just says that it is sent international.  A customs form/number is good to keep too if you can, like ThreadOrYarn said you would only need all of this should your package happen to go missing so your organizer can arrange for an angel.  Which hopefully never happens Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melby
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011 01:58:35 PM »

Alrighty then, thanks everyone! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jemimah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011 06:23:47 PM »

I'm in NZ and nearly always swap overseas, and it doesn't say the destination on my receipts either. I always just keep the receipt, and the copy of the customs sticker (although that bit doesn't say the destination either). I figure that that plus a photo is pretty good evidence, and it's very seldom that things go astray.  If the worst happened and the package was lost AND I lost the receipt, then I'm prepared to send a replacement package anyway.

The point of this stuff is not to make life difficult for conscientious swappers, but to keep flaking to a minimum, so you don't need to worry about it too much as long as you keep track of things as best you can. And swaps are tons of fun, I hope you will give them a try!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melby
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011 02:10:54 AM »

Oh I totally don't think it's trying to make life difficult, I completely get the point of it all, really! lol. Just, for me, there's no destination on the receipt, no copies of anything else to get back, no nothing, so I'm just slightly concerned about not having enough proof for people to be able to participate and whatnot.  And I do hope to join in! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lilibet

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011 12:21:06 AM »

Melby, poke me, because I have no time now, but I can help. I live in Belgium as well, and I have send with or without tracking number. PM me, or post here, and I'll help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you a fellow Craftster that is addicted to all sorts of Facebook games? PM me, so we can play together!
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/lilibet/pins/
Annchen

Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011 10:15:39 AM »

For me the customs form doesn't have a number and you stick it to the package so... I keep the receipt but it just says "stamps" so I try to also take a photo of the package with postage and customs form attached to it. I'm fully prepared to re-send if it shouldn't show up however. My receipt usually has the wrong date anyway... :/ I tend to buy the stamps or flat rate envelope and then go home to pack everything up. I might not drop it off the same day and then I have a dated receipt for the wrong date...

I know of two ways for me to get a tracking number. (For Sweden) 1. Pay extra to get one and to insure the package. This tracking works until the package leaves Sweden and in some countries. 2. Send a heavy enough package so I have to pay for "parcel" instead of "letter". Those come with tracking too, but same as above - doesn't track all the way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011 08:41:28 AM »

I know in some past swaps, if there is no DC or tracking number, I have sent pictures of the receipt and any documentation that accompanied to the organizer and the recipient.  I am in Canada too - and smaller packages don't have tracking (unless you want to pay for it - which can essentially more than double or triple the cost of shipping sometimes).  On larger packages, expedited parcel, there is the customs form, and often there is a carbon copy which the postal worker will stamp and give you, along with the receipt, and that will have a tracking number.  But for smaller packages, if they are going international, there is still the customs declaration form - no tracking number, but there is the backing, which is meant as a proof of sending as well I guess, because after I fill it out, they stick it to the package, and then I get the stamped backing and a receipt.  The stamp, in Canada, has the date, and a bit of information about the postal outlet that received the package.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Melby
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011 02:50:48 PM »

Yeah there's no copy thing with the customs form here, it's just a little slip that goes with the package is all.

I don't think larger packages = tracking here. Not to my knowledge anyway. And I didn't see anything about tracking/insurance when I was looking at the website a month ago. But my Dutch is lacking so it's possible I overlooked something.

Lilibet, I'd be happy to know how you go about it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lilibet

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011 05:46:42 AM »

Sorry Craftster, I know it's sort of against the rules, but I'm going to this in Dutch Wink.

Tracking/tracing is eigenlijk wel mogelijk in Belgi. Dat heb ik voor het eerst ontdekt nu ik naar Australi moest sturen. Misschien alleen naar daar, omwille van de strenge douane, maar ik denk het niet. Ik heb het dit keer anders gedaan, en misschien lag het daaraan. Zoals altijd heb ik m'n doos daar gekocht, zodat ik ze thuis kan afwerken en volproppen. Maar in plaats van met die doos terug te gaan, en te zeggen waar ze naartoe moet, heb ik dit keer op voorhand gezegd dat ze naar Australi moest. Ik kreeg daar een dikke stapel papieren, waar ik adres en douane-info op moest invullen. Mr, spannend genoeg, dit keer had ik ook een tracking number gekregen. Kijk maar :http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/ideliesje/Tijdelijk/IMG_0002.jpg (laat me weten wanneer je deze link gezien hebt, dan verwijder ik hem, want er staat persoonlijke info op).

Misschien hier nog eens kijken: http://www.bpost.be/site/nl/residential/parcels/international/index.html
Ik had zo'n boekje met info al eens eerder meegenomen, en dacht rond de 40 te moeten betalen. Bleek dat ik er 60 moest betalen, wat later logisch bleek, omdat ik zo'n nummer had. Het fijne snap ik er eerlijk gezegd ook niet van. Ik krijg steevast andere informatie bij De Post. Ach ja, zolang die pakjes maar toekomen, zeker? Zoals je kan zien op de eerste link heb ik dat bewijs ingescand, en m'n rekening. Ik heb al drie keer geswapt en daarmee nog nooit problemen gehad. Ik doe er ook altijd een foto van de inhoud van m'n pakket en de doos zelf naar de organiser. Kwestie van m'n goede wil te tonen Wink.
Ik hoop dat ik je hiermee toch nog een beetje heb kunnen helpen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are you a fellow Craftster that is addicted to all sorts of Facebook games? PM me, so we can play together!
Melby
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011 06:38:51 AM »

Thanks for the info! Holy crud is that expensive though, yikes! So, it seems like the tracking is only on the larger more expensive stuff, like Onyxnox was saying about the Canadian post?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lilibet

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011 07:45:10 AM »

I'd say so, yes. Sad, but true. I also find it hard to decide on how I should ship. Go the expensive way, and be sure that you can track it (although that is only useful to a certain extent) or just ship it off and never be sure. Though I must admit that my package to Australia was overkill Tongue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jemimah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011 08:42:43 AM »

If it's anything like here, tracking an international package is basically like sending it via courier = horrifically expensive. For myself, I wouldn't bother with the tracking. I just pay for regular airmail, and I am prepared to resend if I have to. I figure it's much cheaper to resend a parcel than pay for the courier/tracking.

Incidentally re insurance, for standard airmail NZ Post will reimburse for the stated value of the package if it does get lost (no extra charge for cover up to $250) - I don't know how easy it is to claim, it's never happened to me. But they always tell me to keep my receipt until the package arrives. Is that not the case elsewhere?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011 09:55:46 AM »

That sounds like the same as here (US) but I think theoriginal question was asking what to use as proof is the postal receipt just basically says "Nov 9, paid $15 to send package" without any other details re address etc
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jemimah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011 10:55:33 AM »

... I think the original question was asking what to use as proof is the postal receipt just basically says "Nov 9, paid $15 to send package" without any other details re address etc

Yes indeed, my postal receipts (New Zealand) also don't have any specifics on them except date and amount paid, it doesn't even say what country it's going to. So I'm in the same situation. I'm just saying that I don't think the tracking is worth it, since I take photos and I'm prepared to resend if needed. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2011 11:09:15 AM »

For international proof of shipping we understand that some receipts do not have the where the package is going to but I will say again that an "official" receipt (from a cash register at the post office so it would also say where it was shipped from) that has the date on it should be kept by anyone sending internationally in case they need to prove that they shipped something on the day they said they sent.  That is the only thing that will prove that you have sent something Smiley

In my experience the tracking number for international packages when sending internationally from Canada is nice to have, but doesn't track anything.  Most of the time it isn't updated when the package arrives, which is kind of a bummer.  We certainly understand the enormous costs involved and don't require that you send by priority mail when swapping internationally.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lilibet

Princess of Lust

Princess of Lust

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2011 12:53:50 PM »

My post office didn't give me a choice, so my shipping adventure was expensive. Because of that, I just swap less, and I am okay with that. I must say though that my tracking number for Australia was great. When I checked it after two weeks, every update was still there. From the day that I posted the package, to going through sorting in Belgium and then being shipped off. Pretty interesting too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melby
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2011 02:38:09 PM »

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

And yeah, I'd of course keep any receipts. I normally tend to hang onto them anyway, plus the post office ones have a blank backside, and I always keep all those as scratch paper, too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Look of Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2013
Ombré Nails Tutorial
The Look of Versace Fall 2013
Marianna Hewitt on the Makeup Sponge That Will Change Your Life
The Look of Prada Fall 2013
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...