A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: These are not the droids you're looking for  (Read 1799 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_68_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmyLynn98
« on: November 02, 2011 11:42:14 AM »

Okay, so since seeing the Calvin and Hobbes costumes at http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=394017.0, I know realize that none of us deserve to win like those two. Smiley But in any case, here's my entry. This is the first time I've been able to actually post a homemade costume for this contest. I actually started it in August and it's the biggest, most involved thing I've ever sewn because I'm not much of a seamstress.

My husband bought Yoda's FX lightsaber for me last year for my birthday so this idea actually took this long to come to reality. Only the lightsaber, boots and D ring belt were bought. The D ring belt was saved from the thrift store bag, once my husband was going to toss it out. The boots I wear on a regular basis.

I actually sewed this costume two separate times, from Simplicity's Jedi knock off pattern, #5840. The first time, it turned out horribly, even with making several tweaks and taking it in a few times. I switched from the cheap Royalty Broadcloth I started with and switched to a better looking and better hanging linen-type fabric. This is light enough to be comfortable outside during a southern Virginia Halloween.

One Jedi costume site recommended using ties on the inside for a more secure, tighter fit. I'm actually using snaps on mine. There are snaps in the shoulders, and the other half of the snaps are in in the tabbards to keep them from slipping down over my shoulders.

I also put in a set of shoulder pads, but I actually put them in backwards on purpose. According to the Padawan's Guide, "Obi-Wan's tunic has a noticeable "tuck" where the sleeve joined with the shoulder. In Ep. II, particularly in the scene where Obi-Wan is floating in those electric cuffs, you can see a shoulder seam too." I am wildly happy with how this turned out. I changed the construction of the collar and added the interfacing.

I tried to follow the pattern for the belt and tabbards but they weren't long enough, so I abandoned the pattern completely for it and just winged it, by looking at lots and lots of photos of Ewan McGregor's costumes instead. The "official" costuming sites, like the Rebel Legion and the Jedi Assembly, were great in explaining the details of the costumes. I didn't try to copy the younger Obi-Wan's costume, which is why I went with slightly different colors for my costume, but I liked how the tabbards were tunic-length in the front and stopped at the belt in the back. That little detail makes it standard as an Old Republic Jedi costume.

The dickey was the first thing I made and the only thing I didn't have to remake. I didn't even have to tweak the pattern. This was a random remnant from my stash that I bought for this costume, I just wasn't sure which part I'd use it for. The pattern called for making your own ties to help secure it around your body, but I had white ribbon so I used that instead.

I realize in looking at this photo, I should have pulled down the back of the tunic a little bit before my husband snapped this one for me.

These pants are actually from a woman's pirate costume pattern:Simplicity 3677 Misses' Pirate Costume Pattern. I thought I had elastic when I was almost finished with them. Turns out I didn't, so I ran down to Walgreens. I was denied there. Their tiny little sewing rack didn't have any elastic and I just didn't feel like going any further. I dug through my stash of stuff and came across a fitted sheet I had used for a different project. I cut a bunch of elastic from it and reused it for these pants.

And yeah, dress a grown up in a Jedi costume and put a lit lightsaber in her hand and it's impossible to not grin, wave it around and fight invisible Sith.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot.com/
Sparkly Sharp Fabulous
Sparkly Sharp and Fabulous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011 05:42:36 PM »

Good job! The boots are a nice touch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fluffypants
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011 06:54:02 PM »

You are too sweet! Your costume looks great. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

robina19
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011 08:11:25 PM »

Nice!!
I personally do not trust patterns...there's always something that goes wrong!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Transition Your Beach Hair to a Night Look
Super Easy Way to Get Beautiful Bed Head Hair
Beer for Your Hair: Which Brew Is Best?
How to Do a Brunch Braid Bun
How To Create 3 Bohemian Braid Hair Styles
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...