A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,949
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Spam Musubi and Tuna Sushi  (Read 2401 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_68_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mymymissmai
I like you temporarily ;)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 01, 2011 10:19:57 PM »

I didn't know what my kids were going to be for halloween.  I have this thing where I want them to have unique costumes just because I want them to stand out.  Last year I dressed up as a slice of pizza because I like pizza.  Which got me wanting to keep with the "favorite food" category.  I brought my boys to a children book fair and had lunch at a Japanese restaurant and that's when it hit me...I am going to dress them up as sushi!  Well, one is tuna sushi and the other is spam musubi.  I have come to realized that I live in a sheltered world where LOTS OF PEOPLE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT A SPAM MUSUBI IS.  I'm tell you...you're missing out.

So here's how I made spam musubi:  I used black felt as seaweed and wrapped him around and sewed on velcro so it stays on.  The spam is made with the brick red (I assume that's what grilled spam would look like).  I just made a shape of a sliced spam (hey!  don't make that disgusted look...spam is delicious!) and filled it with polyfiber.  I also had to make white pants from scratch.  Do you guys know how hard it is to find white pants?  I couldn't find white pants for kids, so I made them.

Sushi tuna is actually easier.  Using red flannel fabric that I had leftover, I just made it the same shape as the spam musubi and stuffed it with polyfiber (seriously, I have a bag of polyfiber and it never seems to end.  It feels like it keeps on growing...).  To add the white lines that tuna sushi has, I  used white yarn and placed it on the tuna and sewed it on.  To keep him on, I chained white yarn and made it into backpack straps.  I also had to make his white pants.

The only thing that's not made is the white turtleneck shirts.  And without further ado, here's the pictures!

Side note, I made that beanie tuna sushi was wearing.  The yarn is called zombie bbq.  I just felt it should be worn on halloween Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knickertwist
Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011 06:56:10 AM »

Adorable!

Your kids are cute as buttons Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dayzi

Proud momma of 2 Boston Terriers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011 05:45:05 PM »

I was Sushi for Halloween too :-) Your kids look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kardashian Kids to Launch at Babies R Us
Hottest Kid Trends of the Season
Top 5 Fashionable Winter Looks for Kids
KIds Products and Innovation News
Four Fall Fashions For Kids
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...