A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,687
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What gives??  (Read 1112 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Melby
« on: November 01, 2011 01:23:49 PM »

There are 50 countries in Europe, why do only 6 of them get special recognized status? Huh It makes it really difficult for all the rest to be in one big lump.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011 01:58:57 PM »

It boils down to the number of people from each country who visit the site.  Using your country as an example, this month we had only 4,000+ visits from people Belgium, but 38,000+ visits from people in Germany.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melby
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011 03:00:21 PM »

But using that example, if you look on the board, there's tons of Belgium posts in the most recent few pages. At the very least there should be regions/groupings, like a Benelux group for BE/NL/LU, and other groupings of 3-5 countries, so at least there's *some* bit of organization. It's crazy to have 40+ countries in ONE group and everything just all scattered about and impossible to try and find stuff or communicate with nearby people. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jungrrl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011 03:43:50 PM »

We aren't opposed to ever creating new boards, but we need to see a spike in usage or demand. Seems like there have only been 6 threads related specifically to Belgium since Craftster started, so that currently doesn't fit with our idea of what constitutes a need for a separate board.  Undecided  And because only 10 threads have been started or replied to for this entire area in the past year, it should still be relatively easy to see any that are related to your country or region.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melby
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011 02:23:37 AM »

You know, I typed out a whole long response to this, about the negative unwelcome feeling this inspires for those of us not fortunate enough to happen to be in "bit hit" countries, and about how insanely biased that reply is when there are several boards in the American section with under 20 posts, one of those with only 8, and one with ZERO, but forget it. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011 07:37:03 AM »

Melby, I'm sorry you feel that way! Sad  Like jungrrl said, we're definitely not opposed to creating new boards all around Craftster, but we just need to see activity/demand out there for them.  Otherwise, we'd be creating boards for every single region, technique and category under the sun, which would make Craftster horribly cluttered and hard to navigate due to the sheer size.  We're already pretty darned big as far as number of boards are considered, yikes!

We're redefined our processes over the years, so yes, there are some boards out there with little to no activity.  Those quiet boards are even more so the reason that we need to see activity prior to creating new boards now.

Since there is such little activity on the main Europe board, you should be able to spot all of your country's threads on the first page in a quick glance.  Feel free to start new threads as well.   You could even start one titled "BE/NL/LU" if you wish.  I think that would be a great initial step in locating people in your country.  From there, we could also gauge just how many users, other than yourself, are active in this section.

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
jungrrl
Global Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I'm a portmanteau.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011 08:44:28 AM »

Oh geez Melby, I'm sorry.  Embarrassed  I really, truly don't want you to feel unwelcome! I was just trying to explain the rationale.  Just so you know we *do* sometimes re-evaluate boards and if we feel like they should be merged we do that.  We haven't taken a hard look around the City Guides for a while since, like sweets said, there are lots and lots of boards to oversee!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melby
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011 09:13:56 AM »

I understand that obviously there cannot be boards for every single thing, and that you're not purposely trying to exclude people, it's just, urgh. I'm trying to keep from getting too frustrated so I don't start coming off bitchy, because that won't be helpful, and I do really enjoy this site. Obviously, as I've only been here what, not even 2 wks? and already this will make 65 posts lol. Everyone in all the posts I've viewed (which is a LOT, there is sooooo much to see here! Cheesy) is incredibly friendly, and creative, it's a really great place, no doubt.

...Which is why I hate that the city area feels the way it does. Honestly, have you considered that a lot of people aren't using this little no-name section *because* they feel their post would just be "lost in the wind," so to speak? That no one would actually pay attention to it, because this area is just, sitting, random, non-specific, unused? I personally get the feeling that without an actual spot to post to, that people really are not inclined to post at all. Maybe it's just me but, I'm pretty sure it's not, that it's one of those quirks of human nature. People don't see a place where their post belongs, so they don't make it. Not unless there's something specific they *really* want to know and don't think there's anywhere else to ask. And personally, that is how I feel and hence I highly doubt I will be using this area. Which makes me sad, because the concept of it has a lot of potential.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make a French Twist
How to Updo using a Hair Comb and a French Twist Hairstyle
Flawless Skin Tips
Celebrity Look-Alike
TopShop Hair Makeover
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...