A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,568
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dunkin Donuts Munchkins Costume (pic heavy)  (Read 1892 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

medic2230
« on: October 31, 2011 09:26:43 PM »

This took me 4 weeks to make. My son loves Munchkins and this fit him perfectly. The only experience I have with a sewing machine is in 2009 I decided to make my son a costume for Halloween so, I went to Walmart and bought a sewing machine. I figured how hard could it be to sew...lol well....lets just say I've learned quite a lot since that first costume. This is my second costume. My wife found a pic online of a munchkins costume made with one of the actual boxes and styrofoam balls. Well I figured I could improve on the costume and make something that would hold up to a 4 y/o wearing it.

I got my thoughts together and decided that I would cut the Dunkin Donuts logo out of felt and sew it on the costume. It didn't take long to figure out that wasn't going to be a decent looking option. So, I researched embroidery machines and bought one after I found out about the software options with them. In two days I had a new embroidery machine waiting at work for me when I got there. You should have seen the looks I got when my co-workers asked what did I get and I told them an embroidery machine..lol! It was bad enough when I walked in before with a sewing machine. Smiley Anyway....enough of that lets get started on this costume I embarked on this year. I taught myself the software during the day and started embroidering late that afternoon.

Well that went well, Then I started on the munchkins. I searched the internet till I found a pattern for a juggling ball. I messed with sizing till I figured out the right size for the costume. This was also the first time i had ever sewed a ball together. It was interesting.

Now came the time to sew the box together. Up till this point the felt was held to the firm sew in interfacing only by the embroidery. This wasn't going to work and look good. Off to Joann's I went, asked about this fusible stuff and immediately got sent to the sewing instructor because I believe the lady thought I was crazy for some of the ideas I had to construct this thing. Well I was then introduced to the firm double sided fusible interfacing. I also went on my own and got the thin fusible interfacing to glue the felt to the other interfacing around the embroidery. Anyway, I got the felt secured to the sew in stuff. then Stiffened things up with a double sided fusible interfacing with another layer of felt on the back. This was also the point where I found out that I didn't leave enough room to sew everything together....oops!!! Back to the embroidering again. An hour later I had another front piece with enough seam allowance. Got it sewn together and progressed a pretty good bit.

It was then time to add handles to the box. I cut it out of double sided fusible interfacing and ironed the felt onto the handles and cut the center part out. I forgot to take a pic of the handle after fusing the felt on it but I have one of it on the box itself. Handles are on the front and back.

Next I had to make a bucket for him to collect his candy in. I used an older Easter basket of his for a pattern. I cut it out of paper and over-lapped it a little more till it was more in the size of a large cup than a bucket. I cut out a double sided fusible interfacing piece and sliced it with a rotary cutter where it looked like a cup. slapped a piece of felt on top and hooped it up in the embroidery machine. Re-sized my logos and added "America Runs On Dunkin" under the logo and set the embroidery machine on go. When it was done I fused the felt to both sides. (In case anyone is wondering I did use a damp press cloth for all the fusing. Smiley ) Then an idea struck me. I went to the closet and grabbed a white wire hanger. Got my pliers out and cut a piece just short of the length of the top and bottom of the cup. I bent it and placed it next to the interfacing and then folded the excess felt over to the inside and hot glued it down top and bottom with the wire inside. This gave me the ability to shape the cup exactly as I wanted it. Enough talk....here's the pics.

Next I decided to make him a hat to complete the outfit. I had never made one before and decided, How hard could it be? I measured his head and started cutting. Of course my son wanted to help so, I let him press the start button to embroider his hat. As you can see in the pics. It was an adventure. lol! First I sewed it with the seam on the outside, then I got it right but the top was on the bottom. The third time was the charm and I managed to get the seam on the inside and the top of the hat on the top. I made a bill out of double sided firm fusible interfacing and sewed it on.

It all ended up right in the end and I'm happy with the costume. Everyone that saw it loved it. I'm much prouder of my accomplishment this time around, as it has a much better finished appearance. Here's the finished trio. He loves his costume! I had a lot of fun making this costume and can't wait till the next one. Who knows what it might be.......

I forgot to add the part in about the straps but it's nothing to hard to figure out. Sorry for it being so long and so picture intensive but I felt it needed this many to show everything. Thanks for sticking with me through all of it!

Murphy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goktrose
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

The Mad-town Crafter

If you stumble, make it part of your dance.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011 09:42:06 PM »

That is sooo adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects of 2013: 34/50
Come Join Us!

My Pinterest
Collecting white doilies and rhinestone brooches for DIY wedding, wanna swap?
teaandcraft
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011 01:20:44 AM »

Wow - I am super impressed with how much thought and effort went into this costume! And it looks like it was well worth it - the finished product looks amazing!!

This has made me want an embroidery machine so bad though  Wink What model did you get/ what software does it use?

Wonderful job - I am just in awe of this entire thing!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teaandcraft.blogspo t.com.au
medic2230
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011 08:21:16 AM »

Wow - I am super impressed with how much thought and effort went into this costume! And it looks like it was well worth it - the finished product looks amazing!!

This has made me want an embroidery machine so bad though  Wink What model did you get/ what software does it use?

Wonderful job - I am just in awe of this entire thing!  Grin

Thank you!!! I have a Brother PE-770 and use PE Design software. I found out reading on the net that many said it was the hardest software to learn but, I didn't find it all that hard. Of course I'm sure it has a lot more possibilities than I'm aware of too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alerixon1
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011 11:34:34 AM »

This is incredible!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BenaeQuee
Sewing Machine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011 09:02:18 AM »

That is so adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop for geek chic goodies!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BenaeQuee
abby w.

Sky Captain and the World of Your Mother.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011 06:04:45 AM »

You are too clever.  A coffee cup for a treat bag?  I die.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 35/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 8/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 9/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 6/35
How to Knit Newborn Baby Mittens with a Loom Part 7/35
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...