I went from being completely uninspired to spending an afternoon madly putting my Raven costume together. Credit for the ideas behind the costume goes to my friend who dressed as a seagull, fellow craftster Donella's beautiful, amazing owl costume (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=364681.0
), and the raven masks made by the Tlingit and Haida people.
I knew I wanted a short cape with feathers on it. But I did not have a sewing machine so I couldn't attempt the fabric feathers Donella created. Instead I took a bunch of scraps and cut them into feather shapes and then cut the sides to make them look more feathery. I made the cape from chiffon and twill tape. After I had my feathers pinned in place on the cape, I sewed each feather on to the cape. This was all done by hand and it took quite awhile. I then decided that it would make a good contrast if I took some of the black (real) feathers and sewed them on to the cape too.
Once I had the cape finished, I made the headpiece. I used a paper bag and cardboard to create the headpiece. I then spay painted it black. After the paint was dried. I glued feathers to the head section and added felt nose holes to the beak. I also added eyes. I then took tulle and stuck black feathers through the tulle. The tulle I attached to the top of the headpiece.
I then sewed feathers to a pair of earrings that I already had. Underneath the cape I wore a black velvet dress, black tights, and black boots. I'm really please how it came out. It's not the most creative thing ever but it was a lot of fun to make.
And I even wore the costume to rehearsal today. So here is the ballet version of my costume