A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,182
Currently Running With Scissors:
686 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pop tab chainmail mermaid!  (Read 2566 times)
Tags for this thread: pop_tab , craft_challenge_68_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OhNoJoJo

My favorite color is glitter

View Profile WWW
« on: November 08, 2011 10:27:02 AM »

This is my mermaid! I spent the whole month of October working on this bad boy, and I may or may not have been working on it 20 minutes before we went out to celebrate... Time management is my arch nemesis. But I am still so happy with how it turned out!! Hope you like it!

Anywho, while messing around on stumbleupon in September I found a link to make chainmail out of pop tabs on intructables found here ---> http://www.instructables.com/id/Genuine-chainmaille-from-pop-tabs/ I thought it resembled fish scales and mermaid came to me! I don't drink soda and knew it would be impossible, not to mention unhealthy, to drink that much beer before Halloween so I enlisted the help of my dad. Lucky for me he and his buddies have been saving the tabs from their beer for about 3 years now, no reason why, they have just been doing it. Woot woot!

So he gifted me roughly 3000 tabs to work with. I didn't use all of them, my rough estimate is about 2000. So my tail is the tabs, cut with side angle cutters, bent and snapped together following those instructions. Here is a pic about 3/4 of the way done.

I hand sewed a band of green organza around the bottom edge of my tail tube and hand sewed a tail fin shape to the back of that. Unfortunately I don't have any pics clear enough to see my fin. Sad I also twisted some organza and weaved it through the top edge to help hold it up and keep it from digging into my hips. I had to leave the chainmail tube slightly open so I could get it up over my hips and butt. So once I pulled it on (with the back in the front so I could see what I was doing) my loving and ever so patient BF helped me snap it together. Then I shimmied it around so the tail was in the back.

For my top i cut a piece of felt into a rough bikini top shape and hot glued a ton of little sea shells to it, using a sand dollar I found at Huntington Beach as the center piece. Then I needed something to keep it on so I took a piece of recycled fishing net (that yes, unfortunately still smelled kinda fishy Tongue ) and draped it on my dress form to make a sort of tank top shape. I hand sewed the edges of the felt to the net so you couldn't see it. Once I put that on I had my BF tie the net in the back for me.

It took about 25 minutes to get the whole thing on and I'm not gonna lie, it was a little uncomfortable sitting down. Not to mention that I couldn't use the bathroom all night! Once it was on, it was on! It was a lengthy project that left me with blisters, small cuts from the tabs digging in when I had to sit in the car and a very full bladder all night but I'm still happy I did it. I am already thinking about what to make next year!

And here is a pic/shout out to my awesome BF (dressed as the most interesting man in the world) for helping me get into this thing. Oh and carrying me up stairs since I couldn't move my legs enough! Haha

PS sorry the pics are kinda blurry. And so huge. I kept getting an error through craftster so I had to use photobucket Undecided I am not good at photobucket...
PSS I have bikini bottoms on, not undies Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best and Worst Dressed of the 2014 Grammys
The Best Hairstyles to Match Your Prom Dress
The Michel Mercier Detangling Brush Review
How to Make Your Hair Color Last
How to Style Shoulder Length Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...