A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Female Satyr/Faun (image heavy)  (Read 10401 times)
Tags for this thread: satyr , costume , craft_challenge_68_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

N30Nb100d
« on: October 31, 2011 12:23:16 PM »

So, I know many people have made this costume in the past (and mine is definitely inspired by those), but I've wanted one of my own for a while now. Well, here it is! It was quite an experience to make and I wish I had started earlier than I did because there was several late nights involved.

The pieces I made are the horns, top, legs, and shoe covers. The necklace was one I owned.

I used a pair of leggings as a base and hand sewed carved upholstery foam to them while worn, plus added fiber fill to the butt area (that was an interesting time haha). Then I taped up one leg to use for a pattern (idea for tape from http://www.komickrazi.com/costumes/tut3.html). Each leg ended up being 9 pattern pieces once I cut the tape apart.

The horns were stuffed fabric, tied up with thread, and wired so I could pose them and attach them to a headband. I love how they came out.

The only part I'm not totally happy with is the hooves. I didn't have the correct materials and didn't manage to make them cloven, but hey, better than just wearing the shoes.

The tail was definitely one of my favorite parts, and I kept getting compliments on my butt  Roll Eyes

I wanted the top to have as few seams as possible, as if I made it roughly from materials I could find in the woods. It worked out almost exactly like I wanted, so I was quite happy with that.

Thanks for looking! Comments, critique, questions are all welcome  Smiley

PS. So many awesome costumes already posted this year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011 12:32:02 PM »

That is astonishing, an optical illusion that doesn't die even when you know how it was done... Well done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rauni
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011 12:41:05 PM »

OMG this costume rocks!  You did an amazing job! It must have taken you forever!  Well done, you should be very proud of yourself.

Rauni
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.
veritate
Drowning in UFOs

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011 01:47:02 PM »

Amazing! And thanks for sharing the process for the legs - a fawn just doesn't look right unless you get the legs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Synne

mack. cute but feisty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011 04:47:29 PM »

You did a fantastic job--I love how the horns came out! Was it difficult to walk in the legs? ( I can't tell if they're bendable at the knees?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knit vs. Crochet - my crafty self: http://crochety.blogspot.com/
wist and swap info
mack. where my love of craft and love of food collide: http://mack.etsy.com
N30Nb100d
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011 05:45:51 PM »

Thanks everyone  Smiley

You did a fantastic job--I love how the horns came out! Was it difficult to walk in the legs? ( I can't tell if they're bendable at the knees?)

My knees are covered with foam padding that does bend when I bend them so it's not too difficult to walk in. I walk with my legs further apart and my legs get tired faster than usual though. It's the worst on stairs because of how bulky the legs are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
medic2230
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011 07:39:34 PM »

Excellent job!!!! I like it when someone isn't afraid to bust out the duct tape to get it done! Thumbs up!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
omgferosh92
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011 09:25:43 PM »

That is astonishing, an optical illusion that doesn't die even when you know how it was done... Well done!

Agreed! I keep looking at it and it just boggles my mind. Amazing job on the construction! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitiza
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011 01:35:54 AM »

I have to agree with everyone else, that's just totally amazing! I wish I could make something similar, I love satyrs and this costume makes me speechless!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011 01:36:13 AM by Kitiza » THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011 05:37:52 AM »

Im very amazed at how well done and shaped the legs are.  I've seen costumes like this before, but yours is by far the best I've seen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Happiness resides not in possessions, and not in gold, happiness dwells in the soul.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Badluck Way, the Story of a Man, a Wolf, and Their Ultimate Collision
Susan Rebecca White: What Are You Reading?
Authors Celebrate Local Independent Bookstores
History in Five: Tom Clavin and Bob Drury on Red Cloud
Tatiana by Martin Cruz Smith
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...