A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,116
Currently Running With Scissors:
371 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need Advice!!!!!  (Read 714 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zahoomi
« on: October 30, 2011 09:41:14 PM »

Hi all:

I have a new website, www.zahoomi.com. It is similar to Etsy or Artfire in that sellers open their store and sell their products. However this site is limited to handmade items only. It has been about 2 months since the site has opened and I do have a few stores on board.

That said, I would appreciate any and all advice on how to market the website. I have personally talked to the local vendors, have a facebook page and have also tried a couple of other advertising venues. What do you guys think about google ad sense? Or advertising with facebook? Are these worth the money they charge? As the site is exceedingly new, should I go all out and spend a lot on advertising? Or wait for info to spread by word of mouth?

Any help in this matter, as well as any other thoughts would be appreciated!!!

Thanks.
Priya
THIS ROCKS   Logged
montsa007

22 Year old guy who likes craft!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011 04:09:49 AM »

Hello Priya,

Consider changing the home page (when i opened the URL i felt you've discontinued the website), then i had to click on the store to see the website.

You may want to introduce some sort of contest or a 'featured item' system or maybe 'invite a friend' to get waiver on fees?

As for spending on Adwords/Facebook,
Its a matter of personal choice

You'd be bidding on keywords, lets assume you bid for a keyword 'sell crafts online' which is selling for $2 a click, you'll be charged $2 if Google sends any visitor your way through the advert, the success factor is converting the visitor into a prospective buyer or member, else the $2 were burnt!

Applies to facebook too.

You may purchase $75, $50 or $100 adwords coupons for $2-10 on ebay which can be used on a new account to test out things. If its your first time on adwords, make sure you set your daily spend limit, else you may end up with a huge bill.

You may also want to contact people personally to register on your site and sell their goodies, spend some time on building links.

I hope that helps Smiley

Best Regards,
-S

P.S. - Feel free to contact me if you need anything in regards to the website.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got 5 Minutes to spare? - PM Me for free craft Ebooks Smiley
amarok
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011 03:05:02 AM »

i'd have to say the same to you than the other poster. i felt that there was no website anymore, and if i hadn't wanted to look at it i would have just closed the window. so i'm thinking the front page should be the webstore..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What is "Susitaika"? Susi is Wolf and Taika is Magic in Finnish.. Come and find out more!

www.susitaika.com

Free embroidery designs at www.susitaika.com/freebies.html

http://susitaika.com/shop for all your shopping needs
zahoomi
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011 06:48:02 PM »

Thanks for the feedback so far. Duly noted that front page needs to be the actual store front and not the search page. I will change it right away. Any other advice about the website layout, etc?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011 08:20:47 AM »

The first rule of advertising is you shouldn't do it if you can't afford to lose the money you put into it. If you want to be the next etsy, then google etsy and find out what they do - and do that. On page 1 of the results, I can see that etsy has a wiki page, facebook, twitter, and something called crunchbase. That's just page 1. You have a lot of work to do.

As far as the website goes, I would start with page 1. If you're proud of handmade, where is it stated on page 1? Also, I would keep the item photos on page 1 to only the best photos. You want the merchandise to look fantastic, period. I feel sorry for folks who can't take good pictures (me being one of them), but that's life. You want people to come in and buy stuff, and as much as we all wish people could see past a bad photo to the crafter's good intentions, they don't, and that's been proven over and over again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Budget Light techniques
How to Create Simple lighting
How to Create Lighting for a Shoot
How to Calibrate your Camera part 1/3
How to Light Wedding Images
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...