A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
326 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ok, so I'll felt it...  (Read 968 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Antsy
« on: October 28, 2011 04:53:34 PM »

So I have this beautiful alpaca fleece. It's a grey, chocolate brown, black fleece and it's really beautiful. Unfortunately it's not very soft, and it refuses to become yarn for me. I'm done fighting it, and so I'm going to felt it. I want to felt it maybe into a rug? a blanket? Something. I've got A LOT of it, and I just want to use it up and be done with it. I've never successfully felted something from the fiber stage (the only felting success I've had was with a spun and crocheted BFL).  Suggestions? Methods? Tips? Links? Anything?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlpacaNanny
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011 07:46:14 AM »

Hello,
Is this roving, or raw fleece?  If it is roving and you want a large felted piece, I would suggest wet felting.  If you have never done wet felting before, try a small piece to get the feel of it. 

An easy way to do a small piece is to use a cookie sheet and bubble wrap.  Place the bubble side up on the cookie sheet and layer your roving, each layer perpendicular to the last, at least three layers.  Wet the fleece - I usually place my hand on the fiber and gently pour the soapy water over my hand while holding the fiber in place.  Allow excess water to run out on the cookie sheet, roll  up like a jelly roll and tie off  in two places with panty hose.  Gently roll about 20-30 times and unroll and see if you need to reposition - then repeat.   One you are able to pinch the felt and cannot easily pull up any fibers, you can full it.   Fulling is the process of agitating the felt to tighten it - I rub briskly on a ridged bacon pan (washboard works too).  The trick to a nice wet felted piece is getting even thickness.  Once you have felted it - you cannot add more layers.

I have several older alpacas that have coarse fiber and it makes wonderful felt!!!

Hope this helps.
Good Luck!!!
Louise
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antsy
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011 02:34:18 PM »

That's really helpful! Thanks! So would you recommend making a bunch of small(er) pieces of felt and then sewing them together rather than trying to make one huge piece of felt? Would it be a good blanket? or too stiff?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlpacaNanny
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011 05:45:26 AM »

Trying to felt a large piece is a challenge for an experienced felter!!! Doing the small pieces and sewing them together would probably give you the best result.

Also, depending on the fiber, it may turn out hairy.  Alpaca fleece is made up of primary and secondary fibers.  Sometimes the primary fibers will stick out.

Good Luck,
Louise
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Julienne Snowpeas for Lumpia
How to Dice Onions and Prepare Water Chestnuts for Lumpia
How to Chop Garlic and Mince Ginger for Lumpia
How to Saute Vegetables for Lumpia
How to Cook and Serve Lumpia
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...