I told my girls to challenge me with costumes this year and my oldest took me at my word!
She chose to be an Einstein Bobblehead from Night at the Museum 2...
Here's the finished product:
I love how it turned out but the head got too heavy for the bobble mechanism I had planned so I had to go to plan b and then plan c and then plan d...but we got it worked out
Here's how the head evolved:
I started with a base of plastic canvas (my favorite cheap material for heads...see my panda post for another head)
After applying lumps of newspaper and one layer of paper mache, I started using homemade paper mache clay. Never used it before but I liked how it worked. (the mustache and nose in this pic already has the clay)
I got the clay recipe from this site:http://ultimatepapermache.com/paper-mache-clay
Then I did a base paint layer, finish paint layer and gloss clear coat.
I don't have a picture of the backpack rigging that we used but it's pretty sturdy the only problem is it doesn't bobble as much as I wanted
Here are all my girls in their halloween costumes: