A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hat for the Boy updated with pattern!  (Read 2112 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ayanared

Mommy, Wife, Crafter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 27, 2011 02:02:10 PM »

Since my daughter has been born, I have been going crazy with making stuff for her.  I love pink and flowers and all things girly, really.  Well, I DO have a son - and it is only fair that I make him stuff too!  So, last night - I determined that I need to make him a newsboy cap.  That is nice and masculine, right?

I made it in these random colors because my boy is random.  LOL.  (and I won't have to try to match it to his outfits!)

I hope you like it!

The pattern is pretty self explanatory.  But if you would like me to make a pattern, I will. Wink  

Pattern:
using two strands of yarn held together:
Gray:
chain 4 - connect with a slip stitch to make a ring
Round 1: 12 Double Crochet in the ring (you should have 12 stitches)
Round 2: Chain 3 (this counts as 1 double crochet), turn, 2 double crochet (in the back loops) in each double crochet around (you should have 24 stitches).  Crocheting in the back loops and front loops gives your hat the rings.
Round 3:  Chain 3 (this counts as 1 double crochet), turn, working in the front loops, ]2 double crochet in next, 1 double crochet in next] around (you should have 36 stitches).
Round 4:  Chain 3 (this counts as 1 double crochet), turn, working in the back loops, [2 double crochet in next, 1 double crochet in next 2] around (you should have 48 stitches).
Round 5: Chain 3 (this counts as 1 double crochet), turn, working in the front loops, [2 double crochet in next, 1 double crochet in next 3] around (you should have 60 stitches).
Change to white:
Round 6: Chain 3 (this counts as 1 double crochet), turn,  [2 double crochet in next, 1 double crochet in next 4] around (you should have 72 stitches).
Change to Camouflage
Round 7: Chain 3, double crochet in each double crochet around (72 stitches)
Change to white:
Round 8: Chain 3, double crochet in the next 3, decrease (to decrease, just double crochet 2 together or dc2tog), [double crochet in the next 4, decrease] around (60 stitches)
Change to brown:
Round 9: Chain 3, double crochet in the next 2, decrease, [double crochet in the next 3, decrease] around (48 stitches)
Round 10:  Chain 3, double crochet in the next 1, decrease, [double crochet in the next 2, decrease] around (36 stitches)
Round 11: Chain 3, double crochet in each stitch around (36 stitches)
Round 12: Chain 3, double crochet in each stitch around (36 stitches)
Round 13: Chain 2, half-double crochet in each stitch around (36 stitches)

Bill (I got this bill pattern from somewhere but I don't know where - it is on this random piece of paper I have in my patterns with no copyright/source or anything so I guess it is safe to post it here):

Row 1: Chain 1, working in Front Loops (front of the hat), single crochet in next 3 half-double crochet, half - double crochet in next 3 half double crochet, double crochet in next 12 double crochet,  half-double  crochet in next 3 half-double crochet, single crochet in next 3 half-double crochet. slip stitch in next half double crochet (26 stitches)

Row 2: Chain 1, turn, working in both loops, skip first slip stitch, slip stitch in the next single crochet, single crochet in next 3 stitches, half double crochet in next 3 stitches, double crochet in next double crochet, 2 double crochet in next double crochet, (double crochet in next 2 double crochet, 2 double crochet in next double crochet) twice, double crochet in next double crochet, half double crochet in next 3 stitches, single crochet in next 3 stitches, slip stitch in last 2 stitches.

Row 3: Chain 1, turn, skip first slip stitch, slip stitch in next 2 stitches, single crochet in next 3 stitches, half double crochet in next 2 half double crochet, 2 double crochet in next double crochet, (double crochet in next double crochet, 2 double crochet in next double crochet) twice, double crochet in the next two double crochet, 2 double crochet in the next double crochet, (double crochet in the next double crochet, 2 double crochet in the next double crochet) twice, half double crochet in the next 2 half double crochet, single crochet in the next 3 stitches, slip stitch in the last 2 stitches. (31 stitches)

Row 4: Chain1, turn, skip first slip stitch, slip stitch in next 2 stitches, single crochet in the next 3 stitches, half double crochet in the next 3 stitches, (double crochet in the next double crochet, 2 double crochet in then next double crochet)twice, double crochet in the next 2 double crochet, 2 double crochet in each of the next 2 double crochet, double crochet in the next 2 double crochet (2 double crochet in next double crochet, double crochet in next double crochet) twice, half double crochet in next 3 stitches, single crochet in next 3 stitches, slip stitch in ext 2 stitches, leave last slip stitch unworked (36 stitches).

Strap above the bill:
with a smaller crochet hook (and only one strand), chain 48
Row 1: single crochet in second chain from hook and in each chain across
Row 2: chain 1, turn, single crochet in each single crochet across
Row 3: chain 1, turn, single crochet in each single crochet across
Finish Off, leaving a super long tail: ~40 inches

Sew strap on hat with the super long tail.  Weave in ends.  Sew on buttons.

Wooo, I think I am going to be dreaming of double crochets...  No wonder people abbreviate it!

I hope this helps (and that I didn't mess up the pattern - I get this.. DOUBLE checked it.  lol).  If something doesn't look right, let me know and I will look over it again.  Thanx!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011 05:06:21 PM by ayanared » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011 02:12:33 PM »

Cutest cap ever! I like the randomness, it would make a terrific scrap buster.
My neighbour has 2 sweet littles with unruly hair, I would love to make them both hats like this. I'd definitely appreciate a pattern, if you really don't mind posting it. I am a crochet dummy though, would you consider the crochet dummy version? (That's where the pattern reads "chain 6, slip stitch, double crochet 10 instead of the abbreviations I can't seem to memorize LOL).

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
ayanared

Mommy, Wife, Crafter

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011 02:15:22 PM »

Cutest cap ever! I like the randomness, it would make a terrific scrap buster.
My neighbour has 2 sweet littles with unruly hair, I would love to make them both hats like this. I'd definitely appreciate a pattern, if you really don't mind posting it. I am a crochet dummy though, would you consider the crochet dummy version? (That's where the pattern reads "chain 6, slip stitch, double crochet 10 instead of the abbreviations I can't seem to memorize LOL).

Thank you!

Sure Wink Give me a few days, though  And that is a good idea as a scrap buster!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011 02:16:20 PM by ayanared » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Besosmom2
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011 02:54:45 PM »

This is really really cute... I think it also helps cause he is such a handsome little man...
I would love to see the pattern as well..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011 03:19:41 PM »

Thank you!

And yes, a gorgeous little face is the perfect accessory for showing off your new hat@ Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011 10:31:43 PM »

Great hat!! It reminds me of those poofy ones that Michael Jackson used to wear. It almost looks like a cute little marching band/military hat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ayanared

Mommy, Wife, Crafter

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011 03:37:10 PM »

This is really really cute... I think it also helps cause he is such a handsome little man...
I would love to see the pattern as well..

Thank you!

And yes, a gorgeous little face is the perfect accessory for showing off your new hat@ Cheesy

Ha!  I do that on purpose!  lol.

Great hat!! It reminds me of those poofy ones that Michael Jackson used to wear. It almost looks like a cute little marching band/military hat.

I see that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011 06:45:32 PM »

Thank you so much, that's perfect! Now to find where I put the hooks and yarn stash... I know it's in that craft mess somewhere... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ayanared

Mommy, Wife, Crafter

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011 08:37:41 AM »

Thank you so much, that's perfect! Now to find where I put the hooks and yarn stash... I know it's in that craft mess somewhere... Cheesy

You are welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Dry Shampoo for Light Hair
Slick Back Wet Hair Tutorial
This Banana-Coconut Smoothie Doubles as a Healthy Hair Mask
Busting The Top 5 Hair Care Myths
Julia Roberts’ Amazing Updo from the 2001 Oscars
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...