A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hat for the Boy updated with pattern!  (Read 1797 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ayanared

Mommy, Wife, Crafter

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 27, 2011 02:02:10 PM »

Since my daughter has been born, I have been going crazy with making stuff for her.  I love pink and flowers and all things girly, really.  Well, I DO have a son - and it is only fair that I make him stuff too!  So, last night - I determined that I need to make him a newsboy cap.  That is nice and masculine, right?

I made it in these random colors because my boy is random.  LOL.  (and I won't have to try to match it to his outfits!)

I hope you like it!

The pattern is pretty self explanatory.  But if you would like me to make a pattern, I will. Wink  

Pattern:
using two strands of yarn held together:
Gray:
chain 4 - connect with a slip stitch to make a ring
Round 1: 12 Double Crochet in the ring (you should have 12 stitches)
Round 2: Chain 3 (this counts as 1 double crochet), turn, 2 double crochet (in the back loops) in each double crochet around (you should have 24 stitches).  Crocheting in the back loops and front loops gives your hat the rings.
Round 3:  Chain 3 (this counts as 1 double crochet), turn, working in the front loops, ]2 double crochet in next, 1 double crochet in next] around (you should have 36 stitches).
Round 4:  Chain 3 (this counts as 1 double crochet), turn, working in the back loops, [2 double crochet in next, 1 double crochet in next 2] around (you should have 48 stitches).
Round 5: Chain 3 (this counts as 1 double crochet), turn, working in the front loops, [2 double crochet in next, 1 double crochet in next 3] around (you should have 60 stitches).
Change to white:
Round 6: Chain 3 (this counts as 1 double crochet), turn,  [2 double crochet in next, 1 double crochet in next 4] around (you should have 72 stitches).
Change to Camouflage
Round 7: Chain 3, double crochet in each double crochet around (72 stitches)
Change to white:
Round 8: Chain 3, double crochet in the next 3, decrease (to decrease, just double crochet 2 together or dc2tog), [double crochet in the next 4, decrease] around (60 stitches)
Change to brown:
Round 9: Chain 3, double crochet in the next 2, decrease, [double crochet in the next 3, decrease] around (48 stitches)
Round 10:  Chain 3, double crochet in the next 1, decrease, [double crochet in the next 2, decrease] around (36 stitches)
Round 11: Chain 3, double crochet in each stitch around (36 stitches)
Round 12: Chain 3, double crochet in each stitch around (36 stitches)
Round 13: Chain 2, half-double crochet in each stitch around (36 stitches)

Bill (I got this bill pattern from somewhere but I don't know where - it is on this random piece of paper I have in my patterns with no copyright/source or anything so I guess it is safe to post it here):

Row 1: Chain 1, working in Front Loops (front of the hat), single crochet in next 3 half-double crochet, half - double crochet in next 3 half double crochet, double crochet in next 12 double crochet,  half-double  crochet in next 3 half-double crochet, single crochet in next 3 half-double crochet. slip stitch in next half double crochet (26 stitches)

Row 2: Chain 1, turn, working in both loops, skip first slip stitch, slip stitch in the next single crochet, single crochet in next 3 stitches, half double crochet in next 3 stitches, double crochet in next double crochet, 2 double crochet in next double crochet, (double crochet in next 2 double crochet, 2 double crochet in next double crochet) twice, double crochet in next double crochet, half double crochet in next 3 stitches, single crochet in next 3 stitches, slip stitch in last 2 stitches.

Row 3: Chain 1, turn, skip first slip stitch, slip stitch in next 2 stitches, single crochet in next 3 stitches, half double crochet in next 2 half double crochet, 2 double crochet in next double crochet, (double crochet in next double crochet, 2 double crochet in next double crochet) twice, double crochet in the next two double crochet, 2 double crochet in the next double crochet, (double crochet in the next double crochet, 2 double crochet in the next double crochet) twice, half double crochet in the next 2 half double crochet, single crochet in the next 3 stitches, slip stitch in the last 2 stitches. (31 stitches)

Row 4: Chain1, turn, skip first slip stitch, slip stitch in next 2 stitches, single crochet in the next 3 stitches, half double crochet in the next 3 stitches, (double crochet in the next double crochet, 2 double crochet in then next double crochet)twice, double crochet in the next 2 double crochet, 2 double crochet in each of the next 2 double crochet, double crochet in the next 2 double crochet (2 double crochet in next double crochet, double crochet in next double crochet) twice, half double crochet in next 3 stitches, single crochet in next 3 stitches, slip stitch in ext 2 stitches, leave last slip stitch unworked (36 stitches).

Strap above the bill:
with a smaller crochet hook (and only one strand), chain 48
Row 1: single crochet in second chain from hook and in each chain across
Row 2: chain 1, turn, single crochet in each single crochet across
Row 3: chain 1, turn, single crochet in each single crochet across
Finish Off, leaving a super long tail: ~40 inches

Sew strap on hat with the super long tail.  Weave in ends.  Sew on buttons.

Wooo, I think I am going to be dreaming of double crochets...  No wonder people abbreviate it!

I hope this helps (and that I didn't mess up the pattern - I get this.. DOUBLE checked it.  lol).  If something doesn't look right, let me know and I will look over it again.  Thanx!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011 05:06:21 PM by ayanared » THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011 02:12:33 PM »

Cutest cap ever! I like the randomness, it would make a terrific scrap buster.
My neighbour has 2 sweet littles with unruly hair, I would love to make them both hats like this. I'd definitely appreciate a pattern, if you really don't mind posting it. I am a crochet dummy though, would you consider the crochet dummy version? (That's where the pattern reads "chain 6, slip stitch, double crochet 10 instead of the abbreviations I can't seem to memorize LOL).

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
ayanared

Mommy, Wife, Crafter

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011 02:15:22 PM »

Cutest cap ever! I like the randomness, it would make a terrific scrap buster.
My neighbour has 2 sweet littles with unruly hair, I would love to make them both hats like this. I'd definitely appreciate a pattern, if you really don't mind posting it. I am a crochet dummy though, would you consider the crochet dummy version? (That's where the pattern reads "chain 6, slip stitch, double crochet 10 instead of the abbreviations I can't seem to memorize LOL).

Thank you!

Sure Wink Give me a few days, though  And that is a good idea as a scrap buster!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011 02:16:20 PM by ayanared » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Besosmom2
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011 02:54:45 PM »

This is really really cute... I think it also helps cause he is such a handsome little man...
I would love to see the pattern as well..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011 03:19:41 PM »

Thank you!

And yes, a gorgeous little face is the perfect accessory for showing off your new hat@ Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011 10:31:43 PM »

Great hat!! It reminds me of those poofy ones that Michael Jackson used to wear. It almost looks like a cute little marching band/military hat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ayanared

Mommy, Wife, Crafter

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011 03:37:10 PM »

This is really really cute... I think it also helps cause he is such a handsome little man...
I would love to see the pattern as well..

Thank you!

And yes, a gorgeous little face is the perfect accessory for showing off your new hat@ Cheesy

Ha!  I do that on purpose!  lol.

Great hat!! It reminds me of those poofy ones that Michael Jackson used to wear. It almost looks like a cute little marching band/military hat.

I see that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011 06:45:32 PM »

Thank you so much, that's perfect! Now to find where I put the hooks and yarn stash... I know it's in that craft mess somewhere... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ayanared

Mommy, Wife, Crafter

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011 08:37:41 AM »

Thank you so much, that's perfect! Now to find where I put the hooks and yarn stash... I know it's in that craft mess somewhere... Cheesy

You are welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About the Dutch Tilt in Film Making
The Difference Between High and Low Key Lighting
Watch, Pass, or Rent: Despicable Me, The Kids Are All Right, & Predators
How to Create New Sequences Quickly in Premiere Pro CS5
What Not to Do During an Acting Audition
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...