A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: T-shirt scraps?  (Read 2178 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aeronberry

mmm...fishy kisses....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 26, 2011 07:00:38 PM »

The search feature isn't working, so sorry if this has been asked already  Wink

I made a bunch of t-shirt necklaces recently and now have a few dozen "half t-shirts", basically from the sleeve seam up, left over.  Any ideas for what to do with them?  I really don't have space to store them until I have time to make anything, so maybe someone knows of a charitable cause that could use them?  We have a locale creative reuse place, but they won't accept ex-clothes.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edafedd - amigurumi patterns!
norea - jewelry, handbags, etc!
shop the swap!
Resweater
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011 05:01:13 AM »

If you can't find a craft project for them, many places, like Goodwill, sell the unwearable clothing to companies that recycle the fibers into things like rope & shop rags. Call your local chain thrift store, and see if they have a similar program.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Reuse, Recycle, Resweater! ~
Blog ~ http://resweater.blogspot.com
Shop ~ http://resweater.artfire.com
Eclecticlyfe
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012 01:32:08 PM »

We use cloth diapers on our children and we have always used t-shirts cut up in to small squares as diaper wipes. Perhaps if you know anyone who cloth diapers you could offer them this as an idea. Also we use them as ties for plants in the veggie garden.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To become learned, each day add something. To become enlightened, each day drop something."  Lao Tzu
ivoryh1632
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012 02:04:07 AM »

You could cut them up into small peices and donate them to a preschool/daycare for their collage/art box. I used to bring my fabric scraps into the preschool I worked at all the time, the kids love having different textures to add to their giant gluey mess of a masterpeice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tesslivimama
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012 05:22:38 AM »

We use T-shirt scraps to make rag dolls. If you don't have time for a new project right now, offer them to a neighbor with small children or a local child care program. I don't have any photos or instructions handy but we found instructions online after searching "Amish rag doll".
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GlindaBunny
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012 09:31:21 PM »

I use t-shirt scraps to decorate my kids' shirts... I cut the shape, zigzag stitch the scrap onto their shirt, add details, and the applique is done.

I'm sure they're gone by now, but maybe in the future someone on your local craigslist would want them for that.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TAHINAZ
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012 06:07:58 PM »

Cut them into thin strips and crochet with it. I made a laundry bag out of old scraps that way. You can also make a rag rug using crochet, latch hook or braiding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BudgeIsCool
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012 05:55:59 AM »

Ooh I'm a bit late on this one...What about cutting them into small pieces and using them to stuff a homemade pillow?  It'd probably come out with a bit of a different texture from normal, but I imagine it would still be comfortable.  You could even use the bigger scraps to make the outside of the pillow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a whole bunch of fliers advertising a series of concerts (but all the fliers are the same), does anyone want them?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Long-Term Effects of the Airport Backscatter
Gloucester Inspires Novel: Beauty
What Would You Sacrifice for a Second Chance?
Noggin by John Corey Whaley Book Trailer
The Real Life of John Wayne, a Hollywood and American Icon
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...