A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Third Quarter Featured Artist....maxxev!!!  (Read 1606 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cackle
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Pottery, Ceramics, Polymer Clay Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Whenever I close my eyes the lights go on.. Lummis

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2013 05:57:26 PM »

I'm very excited to introduce our featured artist for the third quarter, the one and only maxxev!
She has graced this board (and a few others) with her wonderful works of art and many fine tutorials.
I've long admired her precise, beautiful work with polymer clay, and I'm sure many folks on Craftster feel the same way, so without further ado, read her fascinating interview.

Segmented necklace

How long have you been crafting? Why did you start?
I've  been making something for as long as I can remember. I was lucky enough to have parents who were if not both artistic, were at least creative and who understood how rewarding Art in any form can be. As children we were always encouraged to create (regardless of the ensuing mess) whether it was helping to make and decorate cookies and fairy cakes, painting, or making a giant pumpkin costume from willow branches and crepe paper.
I guess its not so much a case of why did you start as it never occurred to me to stop

Besides polymer clay, are there any other media you are interested in or like to use?
Changing interests over the years have led me to dabble in many crafts (or at least the more affordable ones) over the years from beading and cross stitch to  wire work and silk painting   though polymer clay seems to have eclipsed most of other crafts I do. Its such a versatile media, with so many techniques its something you feel you could spend years working with yet never really master. It fascinates me, theres always something new to learn.
I enjoy working with ceramics and I still like to break out my oil pastels and coloured pencils from time to time.

What inspires you?

It's embarrassing to admit, but I'm not entirely certain. Sometimes its obvious, a desire to recreate an image, or a shape or a colour other times I can be doing something else entirely and my muse will just jump in with what about this? and dump a fully formed image in my head. She occasionally takes over when I'm working with, dont do that, do this then you have no idea what your afternoon will produce, but you can be pretty certain its not what you were supposed to be doing.

Do you have a crafty/creative philosophy?
Not that I'm aware of ...I try to be original, I try to be different. Does that count?
 Dont be ashamed to be a little bit weird  Grin

Besides the Pottery, Ceramics and Polyclay board, is there anywhere else on Caftster people can find your work?
Polymer clay is my weapon of choice but I pop up occasionally on the Bath and Beauty, Jewellery, Art and Cooking boards.

What other types of crafts interest you?
I admire anyone who can sew (my sewing machine terrifies me) or work with yarn and wool but craft of almost any description fascinates me and there are so many I'd love to try my hand at.
I've been trying to experiment with a few new crafts lately including pyrography and expanding my chain mail and beading skills but I've got my eye on lamp work bead making and silver smithing too.

What is your favorite creation you've posted on Craftster?
I'm something of a perfectionist and there aren't too many pieces I can look back on years later and not itch to take apart or redo but my penguin colony pin remains one of my favourites.

(cane and cane slice)

It was one of those happy accidents that turns out better than the original concept (it wasnt meant to have a 3 dimensional element). It was my second proper cane too, so to have it reduce so well was a great confidence boost for me and of course, it features my favourite of birds, penguins!
I'm also really pleased with my recent segmented pieces. Lots of potential for fun there

What is your favorite thing that someone else has posted?
 Craftster has so many talented artists I'm not sure I could pick just one particular thing from any of the boards. Seriously, I take my hat off to all of you.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013 04:56:44 AM by cackle » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissingWillow
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013 07:58:56 PM »

Great choice, I love her work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Farm Life Blog  
I'm a shepherd and have raw fleece.  PM me if you want to swap for some.

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read all about it here
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013 04:32:08 AM »

Always am so impressed by her work. Congratulations on being featured! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maxxev
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013 03:49:03 AM »

thank you Smiley
and thank you to Cackle for featuring me Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cackle
Swap Moderator
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Pottery, Ceramics, Polymer Clay Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Whenever I close my eyes the lights go on.. Lummis

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013 11:17:11 AM »

My pleasure and privilege!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nicki Minaj Releases Minajesty Perfume Ad
How to Keep Your Summer Glow
Next on HardWired: Digital Dressing Room
How to Make Your Own Matte Nail Polish
Skincare Expert Cornelia Zicu Demos At-Home Facial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...