A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 306,402
Currently Running With Scissors:
532 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Piggy  (Read 205 times)
Tags for this thread: pig , sculpture , sculpey , polymer_clay  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Yaqulek
« on: February 07, 2016 10:04:32 AM »

This little guy has been sitting unfinished in a box of sculpey since 08 Shocked, I finally got around to finishing him.

I haven't actually baked him yet, the clay has been heat set with a heat gun though. I expect that the clay will scorch horribly once he has been baked properly(and likely crack), since he was sculpted with super sculpey  Sad. So I thought that I would take pics of him now while the clay is still a nice even color.

He is about 3 1/8in tall and about 3 1/2in long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mixedpibbles

Full Time Granny

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016 02:00:41 PM »

You are quite talented, being the owner of 2 pet pigs it is very realistic. He kinda looks like my male pig Porkchop, he even looks like he is grinning like my Porkchop does. Just so you know I didn't name him that, he was actually going to be raised for food but my Husband rescued him he traded a kids motorcycle for him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016 02:09:18 PM »

Wow, he's quite a babe!  (nyuk nyuk)

You can insulate the clay while baking to reduce browning:
Put a layer of polyester batting on your cooking tray and place the item on that (which also prevents shiny spots from the clay touching a hot surface), then cover with a second layer of batting.  Since I cook in a toaster oven (dedicated to crafts, not food), I put a layer of foil on top of the batting. 

Bake as usual, in a well-ventilated area.
I've used the same batting several times; it starts to get a little melty, but doesn't catch fire.  Keep a close eye on yours, just in case!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
Yaqulek
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016 04:48:22 PM »

Wow, he's quite a babe!  (nyuk nyuk)

You can insulate the clay while baking to reduce browning:
Put a layer of polyester batting on your cooking tray and place the item on that (which also prevents shiny spots from the clay touching a hot surface), then cover with a second layer of batting.  Since I cook in a toaster oven (dedicated to crafts, not food), I put a layer of foil on top of the batting. 

Bake as usual, in a well-ventilated area.
I've used the same batting several times; it starts to get a little melty, but doesn't catch fire.  Keep a close eye on yours, just in case!

Thanks. This pretty much describes my usual baking process, I have small oven just for clay too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kathleeen
« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:40:06 AM »

you can also use bi carb soda. I'm a serial burner and I use the ramp up and down method. put it on a disposable tray cover in foil and place in a cold oven. put in for about 20 mins on the dial and let it to cool all the way down in the oven before you remove it. super sculpey doesn't burn for me this way. if you get it out and its not quite done you can put it back in and repeat for 10mins. you only get about 5 mins warming up temps then 15 of full and about another 10 or 20 or until you remember it mins of cool down temps. I've never tried batting but I'm pretty sure the stuff here would just melt. or catch on fire.
he's pretty cute! you have done well. can't wait to see him complete.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Kind of Eyelash Clumping You Actually Want
A Crazy-Cool Cat Eye to Make Any Look Bolder
Shape Your Eyebrows to Total Perfection
The Simplest Fake Eyelash Tutorial
How to Highlight Your Face
Latest Blog Articles
Folding in the New Year!
Tute Tuesday: Joan Jett Inspired Black Heart Soap
The X-Files

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...