A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October 5th News Announcement:  New Featured Projects posted!  Congratulate these artists for being selected!
Total Members: 308,434
Currently Running With Scissors:
447 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP PLEASE - which overlock: Elna 683 or W6 (or AEG 760)  (Read 3320 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: October 26, 2011 04:59:28 AM »

Hello, gals!
Long time, no type;). I've been neglecting craftster lately, I have a lot to post but first I have a question.
I have/had a very nice overlocker Bernina 2500DCET but it had problems most of the time and now it seems that they will never fix the problem... Cry So I started to look for a new one. My budget is a bit tight right now (we're expecting and we'll have to move to a bigger place once in the future...) I might also add I live in EU where machines are more expensive and the old machines are really really expensive!!! You wouldn't believe! There is no old machine under 200 sold here!

So I was looking at German amazon and found this baby: AEG 760 - it now costs 200 and has 2 year of warranty (I'd have to send it to Germany of course if anything was wrong):

But than I also saw this one - it has much better and more reviews and 10 year warranty and some features that I like (you can turn off the blade and it has adjustable pressure of the foot)... I do not live in Germany so warranty is a bit of a problem - the shipping to Germany is quite expensive (about 25). But I really like the fact that it's supposed to be quiet and sturdy - two things very important to me (I sew at night, we live in a block, I sew a lot of heavy weight stuff as well) It cost the same - 200. So this is this candy:

And than a local repairman offered me a supposed to be new Elna 683 - it was exhibition exponat so it got a bit yellow but it was almost not used and he offers me 2 years of warranty on that one. It would cost 280 (yes, I told you - old machines are very expensive here).

They all do more or less the same thing 3 and 4 thread stitch, 3 thread flatlocking, rolled edge - on amazon I'd probably choose W6 as it is supposed to be robust and well made and that is my primary concern. none of them has 2 thread stitch which I like but I can live without it;). I am also looking for an overlocker without coverlock now - I learned the hard way that the combined machine do not work well. I will buy (or get;) a coverlock later on once (now that we're expecting a boy it will be more needed;) I could just do rolled edge for the girls;)...

I sew many different things - from kids clothing to practical things for home so I need a robust, versatile machine. I mainly use 4 thread stitch and rolled hem (it's easier to convert it on W6 than on AEG but I think Elna is also easy). I have two girls, you know how it is Wink.

So: Elna is here, I can test drive it before I buy it, I can get it now and the warranty would be here in the same town, close to my man's work, which is also good. But it is quite a bit more expensive and does roughly the same.
W6 has really good reviews, a very nice manual (you can download it at their site), the blade can be turned off (probably with Elna as well) and it has 10 year warranty - that means something... But i can't try it, I have never seen it I do not know the W6 firm... But it is 80 cheaper! (I can order it to our relatives in Austria (already asked them) and than the shipping is free - and my MIL would bring it when she visits them (that's like every week so I would not wait long) - it's also just a 2 hour drive (yes, I live in the tiniest country;) and we have to visit them sometimes anyway;).

What do you think? Does any of you have any of those two machines? PLEASE PLEASE any tip or experience would be greatly appreciated! I really need a reliable overlocker!  You know: once you have it you can't live without it! So please please please - help!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: No Sew Candy Costume
Awww, nuts...
Countdown to Halloween

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...