A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
475 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quick n Dirty Batman  (Read 839 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 25, 2012 03:22:24 PM »

this isn't a halloween costume, but I figured this was the most appropriate board, nonetheless...

My son is turning 4 (in a week!!!) and wanted to have a superhero themed party this year. He has asked that his friends all come dressed as their favorite superheroes, too.
We have been working our butts off to DIY as much as we can to prep for next weekend's craziness. Up until Thursday night, he has wanted to dress as Spiderman, and I was at a loss as to how to get a costume done in time with everything else, or where to buy one this time of year without shopping online. Well, Thursday when we were talking about it, I had suggested he wear his Spiderman jammies, but then he says he never wants to be Spiderman. He wants to be batman.

Glad I never started making a Spiderman costume  Roll Eyes

Anyways, I sat down and tried to think this out, because he also has Batman jammies, but wouldn't wear those either.
We went to pre-order balloons, and they had a plastic batman mask for $5, so I bought that thinking I could throw a towel on him dressed in black and call it done.
Well, then it hit me! Batman has MANY different costumes over the years, and one of my personal favorites was the gray costume. This past halloween, DS was a gargoyle http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=394104.0, and I made him a gray jumpsuit with a removable tail, wings, etc.
I know I have a good 4m of black jersey sitting unused in my sewing room, and I HAVE to have something yellow, somewhere in this house that I could cut up.

Upstairs, I pulled out a dingy, stained yellow t-shirt, the black jersey, last years costume & some felt. I cut a tube from the bottom of the shirt to make a really quick (utility) belt. I skipped the utility part, and just sewed a tube, then turned it rightside out & topstitched it to keep it flat. I cut out a large rectangle of black jersey, rounded the top off, cut a oval for his head, and split the front for ties. I made jagged cuts like Batman's cape. I then used the cut out oval as the base for his bat symbol, and made a matching oval out of yellow felt (sturdier than the jersey) Cut out a bat symbol and stitched the black in behind. I hot glued another piece of felt on the back, then some safety pins with small strips of felt & more hot glue.

He was skeptical of everything I was doing, and kept a VERY close eye, so Mommy didn't mess anything up, but when I had it all done (about 45 minutes from start to finish), I had him put it on & test it out. HE LOVES IT!
He's running around the house in full gear, and won't take it off. He wants to wear it to bed...  Roll Eyes

We decided to skip the gloves/bracers as he will be busy playing games & running around with his friends. He also didn't like the idea of "underwear on top of my pants - that's silly Mommy!"

Comments/Criticisms?
I know there's lots of room for improvement, but this was such a quick, simple solution!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peachessunshine

I love swaps/personal swaps (I knit/crochet).

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012 03:25:11 PM »

So cute!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Long days and pleasant nights. Smiley

(Always up for a swap, organized or personal).
World.Of.Hoard-Craft
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012 03:44:43 PM »

I am glad to see your son appreciating the 'old school' batman.
Funny how Spiderman went from Superhero to SuperZERO that quickly. But at least he has an awesomely craftacular mom.
That came out really well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Blog for crafty inspiration
http://worldofhoardcraft.blogspot.com/
NH822

"Every day is better than the last!" -Logan, age 6

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012 04:46:30 PM »

my 4 year old would love that!  Good job Mom!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues."
-Elizabeth Taylor
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Have Good Audition Etiquette
Final Cut Transitions in Final Cut Pro Tutorial
Above and Below the Line Budgeting
Pulling Focus in Filmmaking
Learn About the Dutch Tilt in Film Making
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...