A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 313,039
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Summer Ball Gown (with several pictures)  (Read 1553 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: October 24, 2011 02:36:51 AM »

I can't believe how long it's taken me to post this!!
I made this at Easter, it took a couple of days during my holiday, and I wore it to the Geography Ball at my university. I already had the stretchy blue material, I bought the white to go underneath it (for my modesty!!), with no fasterners or buttons or anything (as it's jersey) the dress cost about 3 overall! BARGAIN Cheesy
It was based on a beautiful dress from River Island: http://www.polyvore.com/green_peacock_print_maxi_dress/thing?id=31925997 (it looks better on!) I tried it on in store as a joke, then really liked it so decided to make my own. I only used the blue fabric as I couldn't find anything better at the market. I got it as an end of a roll of fabric that Topshop used to use about 2 years ago, for 50p a metre.

Here's the finished garment on the night! With make up etc, I was with my beautiful flatmate who I'd cut out of the photo Wink

Also, on a side note, I was wearing the biggest ,ost beautiful shoes I got on sale from Office.

I made the dress without a pattern, but it was super easy. The skirt is basically a really long A-line skirt, I made with with as much flare as I could using the fabric I had, so they it hung nicely, and I spent ages trying to make sure I cut it on the grain!
I made the strap by just plaiting remnants of the fabric. The strap acts as a drawstring to the top of the dress, so it's quite adjustable. Best thing: you don't have to wear a bra. Woohoo!
I lined all the top with white, but just did a mini underskirt that stopped below my bum, so you can see a cheeky bit of leg. I thought my mum would think that was a bit risque, but she was didn't, she thought it was great!! I think you can kind of see the underskirt on the pictures, but it's a bit more detailed in real life.

slighty strange angle detail shot:

It's still a bit imperfect - i gave up on a hem and just tried to cut it as neat as I could, and then because of the weight of the fabric it's stretched a bit and got longer, so I need to cut it again!
The jersey is soooo soft, it's really comfy to wear! Can't wait until spring when I can wear it again...not sure I'll be braving bare shoulders on a cold winter night, maybe with a faux fur cape I could manage it??

comments and criticisms joyfully accepted!

thanks xx

travel and lifestyle blog:
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2014 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011 06:13:02 AM »

this dress is beautiful.  Nicely done!

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011 08:13:46 PM »

This is too pretty, and super flattering! I'd love a simple pattern or tute if you have time at some point Smiley

Roller derby. Nail art. Cats. Harry Potter. Reading. IT. Web design. Fantasy.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lauren Conrad NYFW Collection Already Available
New York Fashion Week: The Model Go-Sees
Leon Bridges Picks His Favorite Stylish Hat
5 Celebrity-Inspired Game Day Looks
Ellen DeGeneres Launching Shoe Line
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Asymmetric Cowl
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...