A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Summer Ball Gown (with several pictures)  (Read 1287 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

solid_silver_cloud
« on: October 24, 2011 02:36:51 AM »

I can't believe how long it's taken me to post this!!
I made this at Easter, it took a couple of days during my holiday, and I wore it to the Geography Ball at my university. I already had the stretchy blue material, I bought the white to go underneath it (for my modesty!!), with no fasterners or buttons or anything (as it's jersey) the dress cost about 3 overall! BARGAIN Cheesy
It was based on a beautiful dress from River Island: http://www.polyvore.com/green_peacock_print_maxi_dress/thing?id=31925997 (it looks better on!) I tried it on in store as a joke, then really liked it so decided to make my own. I only used the blue fabric as I couldn't find anything better at the market. I got it as an end of a roll of fabric that Topshop used to use about 2 years ago, for 50p a metre.

Here's the finished garment on the night! With make up etc, I was with my beautiful flatmate who I'd cut out of the photo Wink

Also, on a side note, I was wearing the biggest ,ost beautiful shoes I got on sale from Office.
http://www.office.co.uk/womens/office/beast_of_a_weave/37/8151/21711/1/

I made the dress without a pattern, but it was super easy. The skirt is basically a really long A-line skirt, I made with with as much flare as I could using the fabric I had, so they it hung nicely, and I spent ages trying to make sure I cut it on the grain!
I made the strap by just plaiting remnants of the fabric. The strap acts as a drawstring to the top of the dress, so it's quite adjustable. Best thing: you don't have to wear a bra. Woohoo!
I lined all the top with white, but just did a mini underskirt that stopped below my bum, so you can see a cheeky bit of leg. I thought my mum would think that was a bit risque, but she was didn't, she thought it was great!! I think you can kind of see the underskirt on the pictures, but it's a bit more detailed in real life.

slighty strange angle detail shot:

It's still a bit imperfect - i gave up on a hem and just tried to cut it as neat as I could, and then because of the weight of the fabric it's stretched a bit and got longer, so I need to cut it again!
The jersey is soooo soft, it's really comfy to wear! Can't wait until spring when I can wear it again...not sure I'll be braving bare shoulders on a cold winter night, maybe with a faux fur cape I could manage it??

comments and criticisms joyfully accepted!

thanks xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunny1kenobi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011 06:13:02 AM »

this dress is beautiful.  Nicely done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sporky01
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011 08:13:46 PM »

This is too pretty, and super flattering! I'd love a simple pattern or tute if you have time at some point Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Roller derby. Nail art. Cats. Harry Potter. Reading. IT. Web design. Fantasy.

Tumblr?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Costume Makeup - Finishing the Scarred Joker
Costume Makeup - Applying the Base Coat
Costume Makeup - Applying Liquid Latex
Superhero Origins: Deadpool
Face Painting - Adding Finishing Touches
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...