A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,188
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: toys for a rat  (Read 2659 times)
Tags for this thread: rat , pet_toy  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elephantcrazy
« on: June 14, 2005 02:36:58 PM »

ok, my sister is giving me her rat and I wanted to make something for it b/c I'm bored Grin what fabrics are ok for him and what are some ideas to make for him?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultraviolet
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005 06:18:52 PM »

Hammocks! Every rats needs hammocks! Fleece or cotton are great. And they like chewing on the hammocks, so make lots of them Smiley Visit www.rattycorner.com and click on "Make and Do" for instructions for hammocks, as well as pics of many different cage set-ups to give you ideas for decorating the cage with fun things.

Also, as a public service announcement, you really should get another rat of the SAME SEX as a friend. They are extremely sociable animals and can get pretty stressed out when they're alone (and stress can exacerbate various health problems that, believe me, you do not want to deal with).

Enjoy your new little buddy Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
Sati
Craftsterbator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005 06:42:53 PM »

Hey, maybe you can take some of the big mice that are all over my patio going after spilled bird seed from the feeder.  They're cute but they need to go away.  I saw *four* the other day.  It's TV for cats Tongue

Anyway, I never had rats but I assume they like to chew like my mice, gerbils, hamsters, and guinea pig did, lol.  I always saved all my TP and paper towel tubes for em Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Holly ~
ultraviolet
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005 07:21:32 PM »

Rats will EAT mice Smiley

They do love to chew! Anything made of cardboard or paper is great. I wrap treats in tp and put them inside a tp roll and just smush in the ends. To make it even more of a challenge, it can be dangled from the top of their cage with string.

Anything that you can hide treats in is good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
elephantcrazy
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005 09:36:26 AM »

I don't think that the cage I'm getting from my sis  is big enough for two rats and I think I read somewhere that male rats can get protective of their space. but if I can save up money for a new rat and cage I will definitely try. I get him Sat. so I'm really happy! and I'll try to make a hammock. thanks for the ideas!*starts to save tp rolls*

*edit*
oh, and Seymour (I think that's how my sis spells it) is allergic to certain types of bedding. other than fleece or fabric, do y'all know something that could be an alternative? I was thinking paper maybe but I don't know. any ideas?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2005 09:47:24 AM by elephantcrazy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ultraviolet
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005 11:11:40 AM »

I use fabric generally, but I also use paper sometimes. At work I order a lot of books and they come in perfect rat-sized boxes stuffed with crumpled up brown paper Smiley Do you know type of bedding he is allergic to? Rats shouldn't have cedar or pine bedding, but aspen is ok. Carefresh bedding is ok, but some rats are sensitive to that too. I've heard that Eco-bedding is great, but I haven't used it (I think it's made of paper) Personally I'm a big fan of just using fabric, old t-shirt, ripped up towels, old socks, etc because I can just wash it instead of constantly buying it.

Good cages: www.martinscages.com - cheaper than what you find in any pet store. I'd recommend the R-680 or the R-685 for two rats. I had the R-699, but downsized it so it's more like the 695 and that's for 3 female rats. It's a nice luxurious size for them.

Ok, that was long and non-crafty....I could talk about rats for hours!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

elephantcrazy
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2005 11:21:42 AM »

I don't know what type of bedding, I think he's doing ok w/ his bedding now but I still think he's sneezing.

yeah, I was looking at those cages earlier. I'm gonna take a closer look.

pretty soon, I might be able to talk for hours Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elephantcrazy
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005 11:29:26 AM »

I'm thinking I'm liking the r-685. I just gotta save some money. good thing I'm babysitting tonight Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ParanoidEv
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005 11:42:20 AM »

Making cages CAN be creative, and cheap! Just take a look at the photo's on this website:
http://www.cavycages.com/
The idea was originally for guinea pigs, but a lot of pet owners picked up the idea and make a suitable cage for their own animal!
I own a cage like that myself, it's SO cheap compared to pet-store cages..
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010 08:06:25 AM by pixieval - Reason: remved broken pic links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Put your hay on the ground and your sexy legs in the air! You have the right to remain wheeking for pellets!
ultraviolet
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2005 01:50:33 PM »

That's true - on the rattycorner website I posted earlier is a "cage" section, and there are tons of homemade cages. Personally I am just not that ambitious Smiley But Martin's Cages are a great alternative to pet store cages - they are WAY cheaper for a cage of similar size, and the rat cages are MADE for rats. Most pet store cages have huge spaces between the bars. I think you could definitely come up with something great using cheap materials and hardware cloth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Biggest Selling Hip-Hop Acts In US History
10 One-Hit Wonders
Singing Voice
How Standup Comedian Advances a Career
What Gets Easier and What Gets Harder in Comedy
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...