A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,502
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Satan's Throne!  (Read 4749 times)
Tags for this thread: throne , halloween , devil  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 23, 2011 07:55:17 PM »

A girlfriend and I (and The ManFlesh) are throwing a Hellacious Halloween Costume Bash at my house this Saturday and one key feature of our party is our Pictures with Satan photo "booth" (you know, because "Satan" is an anagram of "Santa").  So... I had to make a throne for Satan to visit all the bad boys and girls.

An internet image search turned up this image which I thought I was capable of replicating:

PS: I forgot to mention that I got adjustable feet (like on table legs) for it so it can be adjusted for our 100 year old floors.

... using old doors.  I started shopping around and they were more expensive than I thought they'd be, but I was determined... and then a friend donated these from her attic!  WOO!

I picked up a few metal swirly bits from the by-the-pound thrift store, stryrofoam tombstones from the dollar store and I had some wood mouldings, pine boards and plywood in my stash.

I had a friend with a circular saw (one of the few saws I'm afraid of) and The ManFlesh's dad who has a big table saw (not afraid of that one) make a few cuts turning 2 doors into a back, 2 side/arms and a front.  Then I sanded, primed, painted and glazed all the door parts using materials I had on hand.  Finally I used L-brackets to attach all the parts - this way I can take it apart for storage.

(in progress)

Here's the finished project!

The details:

The side with painted, glazed and gold leafed tombstones, attached with construction adhesive (from my adhesive collection):

So I cut the jaws off some small skulls from Target then painted and gold leafed them for the ends of the arms.  And upholstered the arms and seat.

It just felt like something was missing on the top, so I went back to Target for the larger sized version of the arm skulls, which luckily had a hinged jaw so I was able to reuse it - AND attaching the skull to the top of the throne was much easier than the hollow skulls on the arms.  The antlers are paper mache over wire armatures, coated with a decorative painting plaster and air-dry clay, then colorwashed.

Attaching the antlers to the skull... lets just say that I made up new cuss words and it's still not super stable.  Sigh.  

Anyway, the next step was assembling Satan's Throne Room in Casa Arachnida (what we're calling the house for the party) and that will be a separate post that included a couple-three projects.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011 08:26:19 PM by TheMistressT - Reason: More info » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MrsBowles

More fun, less stuff...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011 08:05:35 PM »

Amazement. Pure and simple.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlefawnpug

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011 08:05:59 PM »

Okay now, this is a FREAKING AWESOME way to re-use an old door.  And thanks for sharing the whole process.  I am so going to make one now as soon as I can aquire an old door.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011 08:17:54 PM »

Amazement. Pure and simple.  Shocked

Thank you, dollface!  I wish you could come to the party and sit on my lap.

Okay now, this is a FREAKING AWESOME way to re-use an old door.  And thanks for sharing the whole process.  I am so going to make one now as soon as I can aquire an old door. 
Okay now, this is a FREAKING AWESOME way to re-use an old door.  And thanks for sharing the whole process.  I am so going to make one now as soon as I can aquire an old door. 

Thanks you!  And it's 2 doors of the same width, that way the arms are the same height.  After the Big Day, I'll try to remember to scan the cut list/diagram I did for the doors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LA-Fairy
moon child

Lexy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011 08:19:10 PM »

Holy %^$&
That is wicked cool!
I love the idea.
It came together really cool! Love the wood finish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011 08:25:02 PM »

Holy %^$&
That is wicked cool!
I love the idea.
It came together really cool! Love the wood finish!

Thank you!  I'm pretty proud of how it came out and hope lots of people come to the party to tell Satan their sins. 

I was a decorative painter/faux finisher for years and the "wood finish" is brown paint with black glaze.  Looks woody unless you look closely.  One of the benefits of making Halloween props is that they'll likely be viewed in dim lighting... at least at my parties.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teachart
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011 07:00:50 AM »

Amazing!!! Good luck at your party, it looks like it's going to be a ton of fun! I'd like to crash it!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011 08:04:19 AM »

Amazing!!! Good luck at your party, it looks like it's going to be a ton of fun! I'd like to crash it!!  Cheesy

Thanks!  I've made several things for it and have a few projects and lots of decorating left.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011 10:16:43 AM »

I can not wait to see this in person!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bascom
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011 11:44:40 AM »

This is the most fun throne I have ever seen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Your Makeup to Last All Day
How to Self Tan for Summer
How to Waterproof Your Eye Makeup
Summer Pedicure Inspiration
Hot Lip Colors for Summer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...