A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,898
Currently Running With Scissors:
452 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Let's get Crazy! CrAzY BrAcELeTs <3  (Read 903 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheEclecticSlide

Viva La Crafty-pants!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 21, 2011 07:13:56 AM »

Who says bead need to match to make beautiful jewelry. Just see this post by Lish The Dish : http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=393093.0

My friends, lampwork glass bead are expensive. We know this. We hate this...but we lurrrrveeeeeeee them. There are several easy ways to stretch your crafting dollar when it comes to both purchasing and using lampwork beads.

I don't need to tell you all that there are amazing lampwork artists on sites like Artfire and Etsy, and right of the bat anytime you are buying the beads from the maker you making better dollar sense than buying in local craft store. What you may not know is that for every full, finished set of lampwork beads that the artist sells, there are beads in the same scheme or vein that never made the cut. These are called "Orphans"  and can usually be bought in bulk for a deep discount comparatively. They may be ever so slightly irregular in terms of the orignal set...the color wasn't quite right, the pattern didn't fit, the frit was off...whatever. They are still gorgeous, artisan made lampwork beads, and they need love too.
I have found that if you message an artist and  inquire about orphan beads, most are not only willing and happy to sell them, but will give you a great deal as well. Why wouldn't they??!! You're asking to purchase that which they would more than likely just disregard.  This means savings for you, and if you SELL your creations this means more profit. It's win win. You're supporting an artist while making the most of your budget. YAY SAVINGS!  Wink

Additionally, many times when we buy completed lampwork sets and make our jewelry, we are left with one or two beads in excess. These, in a way,  have now become orphan beads. No longer part of a parent set, but still perfectly wonderful ans ready to use. Letting these beads just sit there, unused, is like throwing money out the window..not mention letting beautiful beads go unstrung is a complete travesty onto itself. You paid for them...USE THEM.

Now is the time to get crazy!

My soution is to make what I like to call CRAZY Bracelets!! Mix up you beads, add some fun bead caps, spacer beads, gemstones, or other glass neads and make something REALLY fun. It doesn't have to match. You will be surprised with how just capping the beads alone makes even the most disjointed color scheme come together. And once you start adding in some accent beads, you'll wonder why you never tried it before. The point is to be eclectic. Be nuts. Be out there, while at the same time being smart about your spending dollar! Here are a few of mine.

This one was comprised of orphaned floral beads I had left over from previously used sets:

This next bracelet is made up of Orphans bought in bulk from an artist on etsy.  I got 100 beads of all sorts of colors and patterns for $50 dollars. ( Shocked 50 cents a BEAD!!!!! That's CRAZY talk!  Shocked) This artist used red and yellow in quite a few of her sets, so although they were orphans from completely different parent sets, these beads worked together well because they were the same brand of glass. It was a more cohesive look, and I'm showing you all this for a reason. Just because they are orphans, doesn't mean they won't coordinate! (This is especially true especially when buying from the same maker, as they tend to use the same raw materials.)

Anyway, I know that this was a long post...but I thought I would share how I like to save a buck. Hope this helps someone else save a buck too.

Later Gators! And Happy Crafting!,
~Erin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Craftiness

I'm doing a Year of Homemade Gifts! Are YOU in? Join us here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=387047.0

www.TheEclecticSlide.etsy.com
www.TheEclecticslide.tumblr.com/
bunny1kenobi
Ruler of the Roost, Protector of the Progeny, Conqueror of Comestibles, Chieftain of Chores, Consort Extraordinaire, and Crafty to Boot!

Best of 2013 Winner! I like my avatar, tho....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011 07:32:52 AM »

O!M!G!..... LOOOOOVE!! (especially the red/yellow/turquoise) pinned! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hgddm

What a piece of work is man!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011 11:29:03 AM »

Gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

InkedKnitter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011 04:29:33 PM »

Those beads are beautiful! And I love what you did with them. Great job Smiley

Dawn x

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Image Reflection in Photoshop
How to Change the Eye Color in Photoshop
How to Create Black and White Images in Photoshop
How to Make a Preloader in Flash
How to Make Silhouettes in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...