A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
416 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY toilet paper summer wreath  (Read 2610 times)
Tags for this thread: toilet_paper_tube  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sisteroo
« on: August 01, 2011 10:46:40 AM »

(Tutorial pics at http://www.sisteroo.com/2011/07/diy-toilet-paper-roll-summer-wreath.html)

I am not a crafter. Noooo, sirree. I like making odds and ends, but I can assure you that I am not a frills-and-lace, decoupage-crazy, sewing machine addict that spends her spare time bedazzling jumpers and darning clog socks. (If you happen to be a decoupage-crazy sock-darner, I mean no insult. You worship your gods, I'll worship mine. Mine is mint chip ice cream, if you're wondering.) So when I started scrounging around my apartment for supplies to make my Paper Pretties project, the only paper I could find (in addition to a large assortment of bills and a stack of Allure magazines) was...toilet paper. I kid you not. I am THAT craft-tragic. You can shackle me and read me my rights.

So, yes. This week's paper project comes to you compliments of my BATHROOM. Read on for the DIY details!...

To make sure I give credit where it's due, I first saw the fabulous toilet paper roll wreath HERE. But I wanted to spruce up the design a little, so I changed the shape (diamond wreaths are chic and perfect for the summer, no?), added a splash of my favorite summer colors (ivory, lime and olive), and blinged it out with some center rhinestones for sparkle (does it make me "somewhat crafty" if I always carry gems?). You could also go for an au naturel brown or white cardboard look, depending on the color of your toilet paper tubes. Mine started out as a mix of brown and white--husband and I still can't agree on a toilet paper brand since I think single-ply, cheap toilet paper (a.k.a., brown roll) is the way to go, and he (mistakenly) thinks that only the extra-quilted, cashmere-infused, 1500-thread-count stuff (a.k.a., white roll) will do. You can see we have a conflict. It hopefully will not end our marriage.

To make your OWN toilet paper roll wreath:

(Tutorial pic at http://www.sisteroo.com/2011/07/diy-toilet-paper-roll-summer-wreath.html)

1. Use toilet paper liberally and hoard your cardboard tubes. My wreath took around 12 rolls to create...I'm far too embarrassed to disclose how quickly I amassed that number of tubes.
2. Measure out 1 1/2 cm marks on your tubes.
3. Cut strips of tube at every mark--don't worry if the cardboard pieces bend during cutting--you will need to shape these into petals in the next step.
4. Bend the tube pieces into petal shapes and hot glue 6-7 pieces together into a flower.
5. Paint the outside of your flowers a light spring shade (I chose ivory). Paint the interior a darker summer shade or two interchanging shades (I chose lime and olive green).
6. Bling out the centers of your flowers with rhinestones or other fun craft ornaments. Glue your wreath into desired shape (circle, square, triangle, trapezoid...). Finish off with a fun lace ribbon.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2011 04:09:12 PM by Sisteroo - Reason: Request from moderator. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
MollyGirl
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011 11:05:00 AM »

I would never have guessed.  Wondering if you could use paper towel rolls and not have to save as many.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.
Jack London

View my wists http://www.wists.com/mollygirl
imera
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011 07:21:39 AM »

I think it's lovely. I love the colours, and the flowers, I think they look like flowers. It's a simple and pretty wreath, congratulations on making it, since you stated more than once that you're not a crafter Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bittyers
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011 06:51:06 PM »

Loving this!!  I actually saw something similar, can't remember if it was here or not, and I am going to help a friend decorate her room in these painted aqua & black!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmandimarie
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012 09:21:28 PM »

i love this it makes me want to try to make my own with all the paper towel rolls i have laying around
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KirBee

Attic light is always on

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012 08:23:09 PM »

I have 4 kids = no short of toilet paper rolls and a sad blank wall that needs this for spring. Can't wait to try it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jacquierae122
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012 07:01:55 AM »

well who woulda thunk it??  this is very very neat-  way to recycle!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Zimmerman NYFW Spring 2015 Collection
Costello Tagliapietra - NYFW Spring 2015 - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
How to Get Winged Eyeliner
Back to School Grooming Makeovers for Teens
How to Conceal Unwanted Tan Lines in 5 Seconds
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...