A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,650
Currently Running With Scissors:
607 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Inserting Gussets into a completed Chemise  (Read 943 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

embercostumer
« on: October 20, 2011 12:02:51 AM »

I made a plain white cotton twill undershirt/chemise for my fairy costume for renfair, but the underarms are too tight. It's my own fault for using a mock up that I made years ago as the pattern instead of fitting a new one for my now 6-month-pregnant self.  Who knew that two cup sizes could make such a difference? I COULD wear it off-the-shoulder and that helps a little, but I really don't want to.  I want to make it fit!

The original shirt is from http://www.simplicity.com/p-2231-costumes.aspx pattern

I've done gussets before using http://www.renaissancetailor.com/demos_goresgussets.htm tutorial, but I've never added them after the fact to a completed garment. Do I just cut out some bias squares and insert them into armpit? Should I deconstruct that entire seam and redo the underarms all together? (I stupidly did beautiful french seams on the entire thing, of course).

I also want it to be MORE gathered along the neckline than it is right now. I'm thinking of cutting a line down the center back and adding another twenty inches or so of fabric. Would that look stupid, or will people probably not even notice since A. I'm wearing something over it and B. it's gathered and C. it's in the back. Huh

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website: www.embercostumes.com
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011 05:29:16 AM »

Hi!  First, I think you could cut bias squares and insert them, if you can do it neatly.  I know I couldn't and would end up taking apart that entire seam.  But as long as the sleeve and side are sewn as one long continuous seam, that shouldn't be too much of a hassle (not that taking apart French seams is ever fun).  You'll have to take apart at least part of the seam, anyway.

Second, adding fabric to the back will only result in extra gathers in the back.  Do you have the thing that you're wearing over it?  I'd try it all on together, if you do, before fretting about the chemise.  If you're still not happy with it, and as long as the fabric is opaque (sheers won't hide the seams as well), I'd go ahead and split the center front and add a panel.  The gathers will help hide the seams, so it shouldn't be too noticeable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
embercostumer
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011 12:36:13 PM »

Thanks for the input--also, I tracked down your faerie wings cellophane tutorial and am planning on doing that this week too. Smiley It looks like fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website: www.embercostumes.com
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011 12:50:03 PM »

Awesome!  You can PM me if you have any issues with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Fade Command
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Correct Color with Variations
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Adjust Color with Variations
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Introducing Variations
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Crop with Perspective
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...