A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Color Ideas for Decorating Around a Painting  (Read 570 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyOctober
« on: October 19, 2011 04:18:46 PM »

Hey Craftsters! This is my first time posting in this particular board, but I have never had any opportunities to explore interior design before now! I am getting an apartment of my own, which is something I'm both very sad and happy to do, and I don't own any furniture of my own whatsoever. The apartment has that traditional beige carpet and white walls (which I am allowed to paint, thankfully!). Anyway, I'm currently working on a Roy Lichtenstein-inspired painting, a portrait of a friend of mine, and I'm so excited about its progress that I want to use it as a centerpiece in my apartment. I love modern art and design/pop art, and need some suggestions for how to decorate around this painting. What colors would go well with it? What color should I paint the walls? What color furniture would look good with it? The apartment I'm looking at has a fireplace surrounded in tan brick on one wall, so I wonder if it will be hard to pull this kind of aesthetic off with that there too. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Here's a picture of my miniature study version of the painting. The actual painting is 3'x3' and the background is going to be just straight up yellow, not the orange yellow shown in this picture (I changed my mind after painting the study's background that color; that's the whole point of doing the mini-painting first!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a Craftster Best of 2011 Winner!

Yup, definitely not hipster enough for Craftster.
YumJello01

Cats make for furry crafts

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011 06:15:57 PM »

That is a great picture!  I wish I had one of me! 
That being said, royal blue goes great with yellow.  But check with your landlord, sometimes they discourage bright or dark colors on the wall, because it's so hard to paint over. 
You should check out Benjamin Moore's website, they offer color combinations and other ideas.  You could find a yellow that matches the background in your painting, and look at the color combinations they suggest, and then look at the matching colors for THOSE colors, and sort of build off that.
I'm seeing grey walls, white furniture with pops of blue and yellow in the accents.  White furniture is a little hard though, so maybe leave the walls white, grey furniture with blue and yellow accents?  Or do the two-tone grey thing - dark walls and light furniture, or vice versa.  Hope you'll post pics of the apartment when you're done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for book page paper flowers for my sister's wedding!  Will do personal swaps/swaps for supplies (available listed here) Thanks!

http://pinterest.com/yumjello01/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sambal and Coconut Rice
Asian Style Seared Duck Breast
Stinky Tofu in Hong Kong
How to Make Thai Cabbage Salad
How To Cook Easy Indian Dishes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...