A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Needle felted Lil' Summer  (Read 6104 times)
Tags for this thread: needle_felted , art_doll , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kitiza
« on: October 19, 2011 10:36:24 AM »

My grandma turned 85 years old today. That's a really respectful age, isn't? I was a bit sad that I was not able to visit her because I live quite far away from her. Sooooo I wanted to make her something special that she would (hopefully) really like.

I got in my mind that if I can't visit her I should send "someone" to congratulate her for me. I spent some evenings and many hours poking the wool with the felting needle. Slowly I could see some result and there was Lil' Summer!

Lil' Summer is about 30 cm (12 inches) tall and she is made completely out of wool by needle felting - except for the earrings and the hairbows. I used no wire armatures but the arms and the legs are completely bendable. She can almost stand on her own (if you position her well she can stand but she feels more comfortable taking support from something).

It took me really long time to get the details correct and even though she is not perfect I totally fell in love with her. Cheesy Even the teeth are made of wool.

And look at the tiny toes!

Grandma got the doll today (right on time) and she loved her! Grin I am so happy that I could brighten up her day even though I couldn't even visit her. And now I am glad that I can share these pictures with you!

Thanks for looking, I hope you like her! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gotgrey
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011 11:08:36 AM »

You did a fabulous job!  Happy 85th b-day to your grandma!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BirdBones
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011 11:32:48 AM »

Oh my goodness, she is AWESOME! Grin I love, love , love her facial expression and her funny ears! What a funky, funny lady Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitiza
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011 11:39:17 AM »

Thank you so much, gotgrey and BirdBones! Grin
I really hope that it can compete with the iPad2 that my parents bought her. She actually wished for her own iPad2 and at that age! I am so proud of her. Cheesy So I really had to try my best to make my gift count.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011 01:04:42 PM »

Completely amazing, just WoW. Totally inspiring me to break out the felting needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
erdbeerblau
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011 03:47:37 PM »

what a great idea.

I second that the facial expression is stunning. Unbelievable how much emotion and personality you gave her. She looks like so much fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MidoriMentality
[ midoriMentality ] & Randomly Taylor'd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011 05:05:02 PM »

that's so awesome.  it's yet another thing I want to learn (felting of any kind)
definitely hitting "this rocks" Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kitiza
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011 09:22:09 PM »

Thank you, everyone!

craftylittlemonkey and MidoriMentality: I totally recommend needle felting, it's really fun! Even though I poked myself, let's say, about a hundred times while making this doll (that felting needle is freaking sharp!). But I love it how easily the wool bends according to my wishes with just a little push.
I have tried wet felting also - in fact at the moment I am taking a course to learn to wet felt better - but for me it just doesn't give the kind of thrill that needle felting does. I like it when I can craft while watching the TV and I can't really wet felt that way. But needle felting works fine for that also. Mind you, I am sure I would have been able to avoid poking myself so many times if I had not watched movies while I was making this...

erdbeerblau: I also love the way her face turned out to be. I wasn't really planning on how she would look, I just knew that I wanted a blond girl. So I was glad when I noticed that her face made me smile and I knew that my grandma would love her. Smiley

It was a bit hard to give this away but I know that she went to a loving home that appreciates her. At the moment I am making another one that is quite different from this for my friend. But I have also started one doll that I am definitely going to keep for myself after it's finished. Just can't give them all away, you know? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hanhiemo
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011 09:10:44 PM »

That's amazing! I love it how happy she looks! Is the dress made of wool also or is it prefelt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitiza
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011 09:16:35 PM »

That's amazing! I love it how happy she looks! Is the dress made of wool also or is it prefelt?
The dress is also made of wool by needle felting. I was thinking of making it out of prefelt but I couldn't find the perfect color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Torn or Ripped Paper in Photoshop CS3
How to Create Transparency in an Image in Photoshop CS3
How to Crop an Image in Photoshop CS3
How to Delete a Color Swatch in Photoshop CS3
How to Delete a Layer in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...